Well, I am officially "old".... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Well, I am officially "old"....

While at the local store this am I was attempting to grab an item from the top shelf in a display case, it was at the rear of the top shelf. I started to step up on the display case door frame when a sweet voice behind me said " Let me get that for you" as I turned I was confronted by 2 college aged girls, not any taller than myself, but close to 1/3 of my age. I said "What, you think I'll fall?" as I stepped down and let one reach and stretch further than I could to grab the i/2 gallon ice cream container. She turned and said "good choice on flavor". I thanked them both and went to check out.
I'm going to look into stretching exercises.......
Old 01-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It won't help. I've noticed similar things, being called "sir" more often
and folks eager to pick up something for me. The other day I bought a battery and went to pick it up. A store employee insisted of carrying it for me. Somehow I managed to carry it into the trailer and install it myself.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Several times I have been at Home Depot loading a cart of lumber into my truck and had younger customers stop on their way into the store and offer to help me...guess I look older than I realized!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Happens to me a lot n I welcome the youngsters offerin* to use their back n legs to load up my truck when at Lowe’s or Home Depot buying wood for the projects momma wants done
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #5

Trailer: shopping
I am only 59 and been doing the same for women my whole life as that is the way I was taught to act. Yes I have helped many men that were about my age now or older over the years. I couldn't tell you how many times I have pulled over when someone else was having an emergency. The one I was most proud to have the opportunity to due was it was about 100 F outside and a ladies car broke down, she was about 8 months pregnant and looked like she was about to drop from the heat. I drove about 5 miles out of my way and arrived late at work without even thinking about it to drop her off at the church where she worked. Too many car accidents to help, some I won't talk about. About a month ago an older guy passed out while riding his bike, I wasn't first on the scene but used my truck to block the lane 50 foot back as it was right over a hill.

I might be getting older and can't do for myself as fast as I used to, but the last thing I would think about if some sweet young lady was to offer to help me would be I was offended that I was looking weak or something. Its the way I brought up my daughter so look out if she is ever standing behind you, especially if she is a few inches taller than you. Heck if your luck and have a flat she might pull over to give you a hand or at least hold the light if needed.

Do your stretches but be sure you are gracious in your response to anyone offering to help, I wish all the kids were raised that way it would be a better world I assure you.

Get to the gym or pull out that old Richard Simmons video and buy yourself some of those tennis shoes with the lifts .

Be happy every time one of the good kids are near, it could have been one of the punk kids that just pulled the to off the ice cream and spit in it then put it back.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When they ask me if I want help carrying my groceries out and I have two bags, one with a loaf of bread and package of buns and the other with a half gallon of ice cream, I say “I’m feeling especially strong today, I think I can get it.” Usually gets a smile. When I buy a six pack on a hot summer day and the kid is putting a cart full of groceries in the Highlander I tell him to give me the beer for the front seat. “Might have to have a road pop on the way home”.
They look at me like “Man I thought I did crazy stuff”
I really like young people and never miss a chance to talk to them. Makes me feel young.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Several times I have been at Home Depot loading a cart of lumber into my truck and had younger customers stop on their way into the store and offer to help me...guess I look older than I realized!
David, you know that if you stopped laying down on the ground beside your truck to rest in between loading pieces of lumber, you probably would not get so many offers for help!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Just a few days ago I bought a sheet of plywood at Lowe's and had it cut in the store. I brought it out to load it into my truck and noticed a big SUV parked behind me with a couple sitting inside, the woman in the driver's seat. The plywood wasn't heavy but it was unwieldy; I don't think I looked like I was struggling with it. As I loaded the second piece into the truck the woman suddenly appeared at my side, startling me. She offered to help and I let her. The gal was in her thirties and was pretty. I thanked her for her help. Her husband continued sitting in the truck.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21/ 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4
Guess we are all getting to that age.
I used to be a little head strong when someone offered to help me. Not so much anymore.
I guess wisdom does come with age. And the days I keep my gratitude higher that my expectations, well, those are the really good days!
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
You know that you're 'that age' when you make noises when getting up and sitting down!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm going to look into stretching exercises.......
May I suggest Yoga!

The benefits are huge and they keep giving.

Get a mat, a block an a blanket and go find a great teacher and groove on. Take your wife too.

I swear, it helps everything!

Just my two cents.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #12

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I keep getting you want a 'senior' discount and I'm only 60! Took advantage for haircut and movies, why not! Most millennials couldn't tell the difference between 50 and 70.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Most millennials couldn't tell the difference between 50 and 70.
Indeed. Several years ago, when I was in my early fifties, I visited Zion National Park. When I pulled up to the gate, the beautiful young brunette in the booth gave me a big smile and said, "Senior citizen discount?"

Sigh...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I knew it was obvious I had reached a certain age when I started getting the senior discount at the local LaMars Donuts without asking. Wasn’t happy at first, but then decided to focus on “discount” more than the “senior” part.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
"And the days I keep my gratitude higher that my expectations, well, those are the really good days!" --Olddog

I like this!

I have recently started to ask for help more often when I need it. I've never been refused, and most often, people seem happy to help. And I'm quite prone to offer if someone appears to need help. Young moms with little kids are especially grateful that someone notices a predicament and holds a door for a stroller or some such.

I do it (give and receive) because I want to live in a world where people look out for each other.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I don't see myself as old but I did add the word "Retired" to a lot of my work uniforms so I feel like wearing them again. When in the grocery with my wife and the clerk asks if she/he can carry out the shopping I simply add "That's what I'm here for". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The only revenge I can get from this being old stuff is eating well.
Attached Thumbnails
StateFair08B.jpg  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thankfully I am not old yet (only 62), but have received help from others with heavy stuff, though not near as much as I have given. I too was raised to help others and am glad my parents did that. Even though I lost 4 months of doing work type stuff because of my fall last year, I have worked hard to get back into shape and am doing quite well physically. Lighter than I have been in over 25 years too. Hope this keeps up for many years yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I don't get asked often, even at 65, when I get asked if they can help I accept.

I'm glad there are still a lot of younger folks with manners and willing to help others, it gives hope for the future.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That is good news, Jim.