Why Do You Camp? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
This is my number one reason!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Coffee over the camp fire......priceless....
Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Traveling, sightseeing, being in beautiful locations and meeting great people all with and in the comfort of your own "home".
Old 02-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Mainly to avoid the revenuers.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've been doing it all my life, starting with a 1950 trip across the US when I was 5. Many more trips tent camping around the country & Canada over the years. When we moved from sleeping bags on the tent floor to an air mattress to cots and more excuses for a stop at a motel rather than setting up the tent in bad weather, we decided to try RVs. Its attempt was a rented Class A. All the comforts of home, but no where near as much fun.

After a 6 year break do to my wife's ill health, and her passing away in 2010, I purchased my 17B. I've been doing long trips every year since. I travel to see the country & take photographs of some of the most beautiful places on earth. For anyone interested, I've keep on line journals of many of the trips (both tenting & with the Escape) linked here.
And you do a great job of it Jon, and provide a wonderful service to those of us who take fewer photos. Thanks for the bit of personal history.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
After a 6 year break do to my wife's ill health, and her passing away in 2010, I purchased my 17B. I've been doing long trips every year since. I travel to see the country & take photographs of some of the most beautiful places on earth. For anyone interested, I've keep on line journals of many of the trips (both tenting & with the Escape) linked here.
And we are richer for it Jon. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I can't remember the first time I camped. My Dad says I was two, and he took me camping/fishing at Schofield Reservoir near Soldiers Summit in Utah. Been doing it, in one form or another, ever since - but not nearly enough as I'd like.

Despite the amenities we now enjoy when we do camp, the primary appeal for me is that I get a sense of being reconnected to what is real - instead of the technologically driven modern metro world I have to live in most of the time. I always come back a better man - and it's cheaper than psychology.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I think it was Greg who earlier said the connection with pack packing and the progression to camping and a trailer. I too have been a lifetime packer and a family camper. I don't believe there is any better way to connect with your family, than with camping. It must be the closeness, simplicity, teamwork, and reliance on each other, but it works. I also like the sense of self-containment. In pack packing, you have everything you need on you back, and I like that feeling. When camping, you have everything you need in your trailer. I can't wait for April!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We don't camp...we "Escape"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I love this thread.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... We don't camp...we "Escape"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
From whom?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
For all the great reasons already enumerated;
and this:
Attached Thumbnails
Sept12-14-2014-Bishop 054.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
I retired and wanted to get away, but I have my Golden Retriever. The camper solves my dilemma, for I cannot be away from her. My wife, Me and Ginger fit into a 16` scamp just perfect. The dog is great traveler and loves all the attention she gets from the other campers who cannot resist petting her, right after they say what a cute little camper. I never had a camper before, so all is new. Carl
Looks like a wonderful dog to have with you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I bought my trailer so I could travel and do landscape photography. I have no particular fascination with camping itself. I might learn to enjoy it, but I really don't see the appeal of being outside just to be outside. Perhaps that's from having grown up on a farm-- maybe I subconsciously equate "outside" with "work".
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I bought my trailer so I could travel and do landscape photography. I have no particular fascination with camping itself. I might learn to enjoy it, but I really don't see the appeal of being outside just to be outside. Perhaps that's from having grown up on a farm-- maybe I subconsciously equate "outside" with "work".
I would think that for very few it is solely just the "camping", as in just using the trailer and the campsite they set up in, but it is more about the activities it allows them to partake in, and the convenience in which to do so.

This is what camping with a trailer is all about to me. It gives me the opportunity to do the things I love, like exploring, sight seeing, photography, biking, hiking, paddling, museums, fishing, shopping, and so on. It is also a great way to socialize with friends and family, as well as meet new friends.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
In the early fifties dad bought 33 acres of woods and wetlands just south of the great swamp in Morris County. Wow, dirt roads. He got an old Jeep pickup I think had 4-wheel drive. I loved our trips out of the city, discovering the great exotic smells of the forest, exploring trails, seeing ferns, lazy little streams, deer. I tried to build a tree house, we cooked with charcoal. Wasn’t real camping since we drove home 36 miles every night but the impression was made.

Trips to such places must have stuck with me. I brought my old pup tent home from the service. Every week right after school let out for the summer my buddy, a fellow teacher, and me blasted north, out of state for two weeks of decompression camping, far as Newfoundland. Oh, them steaks on the Barbie, that LaBatt 50!

Can’t claim this is a DNA thing since I’m only second generation American. No wagon trains are part of my ancestry. It must be the automobile, the freedom it brings, and that goosey, natural search for contrast, desire to explore, and for me, record, it makes so possible. Lucky us we got this amazing continent.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
New me, new life, new faces, new places, new food, new historical places, new ways of speaking, new perspectives on an old familiar place.

Did I mention new?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 15A
Wow, Myron, you summed it up very nicely.
For me the camping experience was also defined by the experiences I had as a child, not a dictionary definition.
I used to often look at how some people "camped" and would say to myself "that is not camping".
Only by traveling and gaining experiences other than what we had as children do we truly begin to appreciate what we have around us.

Traveling the world and staying in hotels could be classified as "camping" for some.

As kids we often 'camped out’ in our back yard, small town, northern BC. No tarp, no tent, no trailer, no sleeping bags. Just some warm blankets, a pillow, some great friends and the Milky Way overhead was all we needed. Watching and counting shooting stars till we finally fell asleep.

It's not as much how you camp but rather that we can and do get out there and enjoy more than what is in our back yards.

Thanks Myron, your words struck deeply for me.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote