Windows 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Windows 10

Did any of the forum members have windows 10 automatically download. It happened to me and really messed up my format and eliminated a lot of things. And then AT&T changed out our modem and could not get us back online. I was down and out for the month of June but our son stopped by and got things somewhat straightened out. It is now a whole new format and takes a little to get used to it. I have heard a lot of griping about windows 10 and from what I have read, I was not alone. And that is the main problem with getting old. You get left behind. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's a case of fixing something that wasn't broken imho. By the way, you can roll it back in most cases. Microsoft pushed it out because Windows 7 is EOL. No more patches or support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
Yes, I downloaded free version. I did it to myself. Major issue was for my husband as there are stand alone programs that just don't work, but are beginning to be addressed. So I guess Windows 10 will eventually be ok. Hopefully for you.
Our issue was a SSB radio program. Ships' communication through Pactor Modem. By the time I had gotten confused- worried about my lack of computer savy, then turned off my computer for a 4 month trip on the boat
then turned computer on again- thereby negating my ability to switch back to Windows 7, I found lots more issues. W10 has some difficulties keeping me connected to my marinas'wifi. A professional told me the wifi settings I needed were changed during one of the uncontrollable updates. Additionally other updates are happening all around users. My photos from 8 year blog using Picasa and Blogger have been changed to another Google program Google Photo. The folders are now misaligned and don't show on the blog. And just don't get me started on Cloud use and storage options.
Again back to windows 10. Here are two things that recently helped me. Use Chrome instead of Edge browser. Instead of using search in say Google omni bar, use the white bar at bottom left to ask for anything on your computer, like a special file or program err now called app, you may need to use and right click the start button on left to bring up lots of useful settings and adjustments. I never found any video or other info that helped me to move comfortably to the program. Good Luck. Kathy
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar View Post
Yes, I downloaded free version. I did it to myself. Major issue was for my husband as there are stand alone programs that just don't work, but are beginning to be addressed. So I guess Windows 10 will eventually be ok. Hopefully for you.
Our issue was a SSB radio program. Ships' communication through Pactor Modem. By the time I had gotten confused- worried about my lack of computer savy, then turned off my computer for a 4 month trip on the boat
then turned computer on again- thereby negating my ability to switch back to Windows 7, I found lots more issues. W10 has some difficulties keeping me connected to my marinas'wifi. A professional told me the wifi settings I needed were changed during one of the uncontrollable updates. Additionally other updates are happening all around users. My photos from 8 year blog using Picasa and Blogger have been changed to another Google program Google Photo. The folders are now misaligned and don't show on the blog. And just don't get me started on Cloud use and storage options.
Again back to windows 10. Here are two things that recently helped me. Use Chrome instead of Edge browser. Instead of using search in say Google omni bar, use the white bar at bottom left to ask for anything on your computer, like a special file or program err now called app, you may need to use and right click the start button on left to bring up lots of useful settings and adjustments. I never found any video or other info that helped me to move comfortably to the program. Good Luck. Kathy
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. I'm not a Windows guy, and do alot more with Linux, but my favorite Windows OS was 7. Takes a bit of getting used to with 'apps' instead of programs, and Cortana instead of the classic search. You'll get it.

Interesting side note: Cortana was the name of the AI in the Microsoft videogame called Halo....
Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have Windows 10 on my newest laptop. I like it. Right-click still works. I have Windows 8 on a ThinkPad, Vista on an older laptop and Windows 7 on a desktop. Sometimes I have all of them running as I'm working and boy does it get confusing!

I find it cheaper to buy a new laptop than to upgrade some of the software I use. Especially since everything now is subscription based. I hate paying monthly fees!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have Windows 10 on my newest laptop. I like it. Right-click still works. I have Windows 8 on a ThinkPad, Vista on an older laptop and Windows 7 on a desktop. Sometimes I have all of them running as I'm working and boy does it get confusing!

I find it cheaper to buy a new laptop than to upgrade some of the software I use. Especially since everything now is subscription based. I hate paying monthly fees!
Hi: Donna D... Unless the fees are for camping!!!
Working? I thought you were retired!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Biggest things I've run into... My TV Tuner does not handle 10, so it's useless. MS did away with the Media Center.

Tried but didn't like MS's new browser Edge, stayed with Chrome till it developed issues with 10 and kept hanging. Loaded Firefox, it's working very well. Note: MS has updated Edge to actually work, I haven't tried the new improved version.

You need to learn the new user interface. If you know pc's, you can set it up pretty similar to Windows 7.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
In February, Microsoft classified Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7. This was an underhanded way to get more people to install W10. Most users, by default, have windows updates set to automatically download and install.

You can roll windows 10 back to windows 7; however, there is a time limit. After seven days, Windows 10 will once again re-install and then you don't have the option to roll back.

Windows 10 is like a bad virus. You don't want it, but eventually you're going to catch the disease.

It's no wonder Apple users are such fanatics!
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Team

For me, it's not the OS, it's the fact that very expensive software will only go through three OS upgrades then it quits being compatible. Hence so many pieces of technology. Mac users aren't immune to the compatibility issues. Those that use Adobe products know how expensive upgrades to software becomes. You CAN turn off auto updates. And I recommend it for nearly everything except your anti-virus.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
In February, Microsoft classified Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7. This was an underhanded way to get more people to install W10. Most users, by default, have windows updates set to automatically download and install.
Yeah, this was MicroSoft at its' finest. Their ethics suck. People trust them and let MS do automatic updates in the guise of security. So they slip in this little bomb with the updates and all of a sudden a whole bunch of folks have an unwanted version of Windows. Totally underhanded way of doing it.

I knew about it before it showed up on my computer. I found the file in Automatic updates and deleted it. No Windows 10 on my computer, too bad, so sad.

Then as my wife and friends computers started having the Windows 10 no choice, or any choice you make is the wrong choice, window pop up I had to delete the stealth file in their updates.

Google it, you'll get the update #. Hopefully you can still delete it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
For me, it's not the OS, it's the fact that very expensive software will only go through three OS upgrades then it quits being compatible. Hence so many pieces of technology. Mac users aren't immune to the compatibility issues.
Absolutely true. Version compatibility concerns are part of the reality of software, under any operating system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am using Windows 10 on both my desktop and laptop, and am enjoying doing so. I have not had a single issue, other than getting used to a few things. To me it seems more intuitive to the way I work. I do lots of work including estimating, CAD drawings, photo editing and a lot more.

Since I got my first computer with Windows 3.1, and still had to do lots of stuff in DOS. I have heard lots of complaints as new versions are put out. I think the issue is more that one must learn a few new things, more than the new versions don't perform well. Pretty glad to see we are not still at Win 3.1, not sure it would handle touch screens very well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There is another catch to Windows 10. The free offer expires at the end of this month, that not so bad but . . . If you have any need for your original Windows 10 disks, they do not exist, it was done as a download. If you have a catastrophic drive failure (I did) after July 29th you will need to purchase Windows 10 at $110. You may also need your original Windows 7, 8, or 8.2 disks that you started with.

Several observations from my experience: You must create a recovery disk. This can be done using two methods: Writing to a USB flash drive 1 GB or greater or writhing to an optical drive which would be a DVD disk. There are steps readily available on the internet. This disk does more than helps recover from a drive failure, it is used for a number of other repair operations. It is imperative that you do this, no one will do it for you.

My recommendation would be to have some method of backup, one of the easiest is purchase an external USB hard drive. Do not use what some experts recommend, the file history method of backup, rather a system image is the preferred method.

These recommendations come to you as an owner, for 26 years, of an IT training and support company. And I do like Windows 10.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am using Windows 10 on both my desktop and laptop, and am enjoying doing so. I have not had a single issue, other than getting used to a few things. To me it seems more intuitive to the way I work. I do lots of work including estimating, CAD drawings, photo editing and a lot more.

Since I got my first computer with Windows 3.1, and still had to do lots of stuff in DOS. I have heard lots of complaints as new versions are put out. I think the issue is more that one must learn a few new things, more than the new versions don't perform well. Pretty glad to see we are not still at Win 3.1, not sure it would handle touch screens very well.
Touch screens... don't eat potato chips! My ex and I spent more money on our first "home computer" than half of what it cost for our first four bedroom home (which came with a 30 year mortgage!)

Am I the only one that remembers green screens and green bar paper . The power of a current iPad or iPhone or Android is FAR beyond those HDs and 5-1/4" floppies (who else measures 6"?) hahahahahahahahhaha I still have a computer with that size drive and it WORKS.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Am I the only one that remembers green screens and green bar paper . The power of a current iPad or iPhone or Android is FAR beyond those HDs and 5-1/4" floppies (who else measures 6"?) hahahahahahahahhaha I still have a computer with that size drive and it WORKS.
Yes, green screens, IBM 3270 format. 8" one-sided single-density floppys. I think I remember.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Several observations from my experience: You must create a recovery disk. This can be done using two methods: Writing to a USB flash drive 1 GB or greater or writhing to an optical drive which would be a DVD disk. There are steps readily available on the internet. This disk does more than helps recover from a drive failure, it is used for a number of other repair operations. It is imperative that you do this, no one will do it for you.

My recommendation would be to have some method of backup, one of the easiest is purchase an external USB hard drive. Do not use what some experts recommend, the file history method of backup, rather a system image is the preferred method.
Excellent suggestion and reminder.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #17

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's a case of fixing something that wasn't broken imho. By the way, you can roll it back in most cases. Microsoft pushed it out because Windows 7 is EOL. No more patches or support.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020."

moving on to Apple OS...just an opinion but microshaft doomed windows and the PC market after 7.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #18

BSOD!!!! Ackkkkk............. I have seen more than a few of those in the past.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #19

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
I downloaded Windows 10 after several compatibility problems with an online gift card I have. I can now get to the gift card but 10 hates every browser I use, Firefox, IE, Chrome and even Edge the browser that comes with it. Scripting errors everywhere (including on this forum). Freeze ups that require restarts and the most messed up thing is that it resets my proxy server to an old router/DSL that I don't even have anymore. Frustrating is the best that I can really say for it. Worse was having to replace a laptop and of course all you can get is 10.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
Site Team

I loved Windows XP. But what can I say, I also loved my hair before it turned gray . PAY ATTENTION. You do NOT want to fall into the technology abyss. Get really, really good at the technology you NEED to use... let that old crap you thought was important fall aside. No one wants to know how great you were and how much you knew using WordPerfect