Looking for a 17B in the Southeast US - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs Wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Looking for a 17B in the Southeast US

I know that this is probably a long-shot, but my wife and I are looking for a gently used Escape 17B, in the Southeast US. So if you are considering selling yours at some point in the future, please feel free to contact us. Our plan is to look for a nearby used 17B until next year. And if we don't find one by that time, we plan to put in our order for a new one. But it would be nice to not have to make that long drive to the PNW to pick one up (we are still working stiffs, so making a leisurely drive there and back would not be possible). The must haves are AC, hot water heater, bathroom with shower, and awning. If we are going to buy used, we would like to keep it under $15,000. Otherwise, we can just save for the next year and get a new one for a little bit more.

Thanks

Greg and Teresa

GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
My 17B cost about $22,000 in 2008 and it doesn't have air.
I think you'll have to revise your expectations.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I know that this is probably a long-shot, but my wife and I are looking for a gently used Escape 17B, in the Southeast US. So if you are considering selling yours at some point in the future, please feel free to contact us. Our plan is to look for a nearby used 17B until next year. And if we don't find one by that time, we plan to put in our order for a new one. But it would be nice to not have to make that long drive to the PNW to pick one up (we are still working stiffs, so making a leisurely drive there and back would not be possible). The must haves are AC, hot water heater, bathroom with shower, and awning. If we are going to buy used, we would like to keep it under $15,000. Otherwise, we can just save for the next year and get a new one for a little bit more.

Thanks

Greg and Teresa
Welcome Greg and Teresa,

If you find a 17b in the southeast, it will most likely have AC, because of where it is. A b model would already have the bath, and the awning is standard equipment. Remember though that these trailers only go back about 8 or 9 years in age, so they still have tremendous resale value.

If you wanted to build a new 17b, with just the AC option, that would run about $24,100 CAD or $18,500 USD with the current exchange rate. With rates being so favorable to US buyers right now, you might find a new one a better bargain. Plus, you get to have it built exactly to your preferences. The only downsides are of course the wait time and the pickup trip. Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Escape was kind enough to send us a list of standard items, along with a list of options a couple of days ago. From our perspective, the standard items pretty much cover everything we would need...with the exception of AC of course, so we would have to include that. So we are definitely keeping our options open.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As Baglo suggested, an Escape a few years old will not have depreciated massively. Fortunately, the 17 Foot is the original Escape model, so if one of the first ones made is offered for sale, it will be almost twice as old as his, so the price should be lower than his 2009 would be. Still... buying new is looking likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you wanted to build a new 17b, with just the AC option, that would run about $24,100 CAD or $18,500 USD with the current exchange rate. With rates being so favorable to US buyers right now, you might find a new one a better bargain.
That depends to some extent on whether current owners who are selling think (incorrectly) that the used value has some relationship to what they paid, rather than to the competing options (including new). If Ferrari starts selling their cars for $50,000 today, it won't matter to buyers that you just paid $200,000 for yours yesterday - it has just been instantly devalued. Works the same for anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Very true Brian, but the used ones I've seen are selling for very close to new, and the owners seem to have very little trouble selling at that price. Part of it of course is the "no wait" factor.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Very true Brian, but the used ones I've seen are selling for very close to new, and the owners seem to have very little trouble selling at that price. Part of it of course is the "no wait" factor.
Then they're selling for more than a new unit, justified by that availability. I wonder if owners in Canada who are selling now (presumably to upgrade to a newer Escape ) should charge a premium over the new price?

I suppose this is all a reminder that the right price is simply what someone is willing to pay.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
On a 19' or 5.0, a thousand off per year is common.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I sold a tent trailer for $650 after using it for some 20 years. I bought it, used, for $900.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0
I've never lost money on fiberglass trailers. Bought a Boler for $1600 in 1987, used it for 22 years and sold it for $2700. Bought my 17' Escape from ETI and used it for 3 years, traded it in on my 5.0 and Reace gave me $500 more than I paid for it then promptly sold it the next day for $500 more than he gave me.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote