Looking for dealer or individual on US side near Chilliwack BC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Researching to buy new 5.0 OTA
Looking for dealer or individual on US side near Chilliwack BC

My bank, USAA, has a policy that it won't make loans for vehicles or travel trailers located in Mexico or Canada. I had my loan application approved by USAA and then the word "Canada" came up. This from a company I have supported with profits from my insurance premiums for 40 years! I am looking for a RV dealer or an individual on the US side of the border who wants to help me buy a 5.0TA travel trailer. Contact me by private message.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This sounds like a costly venture, as any business would want to be compensated for time and risk.

There are lots of banks out there who would be more than glad for the business if one has a good credit rating. I have changed banks in the past due to disappointing performance and policy.

Though for me personally, a trailer is not something I would ever finance. I would buy something used if I did not have the cash. Everyone has their own priorities though, and getting out camping somehow is a great one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If memory serves me Rbryan had the same issue with USAA in 2015. Maybe reach out to him to find out who he ended up using. They're obviously not the only game in town. I found I got better rates with AAA for insurance 17 years ago; prior to that USAA was always less for us.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I have also been a USAA member for 40+ years, and while they are absolutely unbeatable for insurance, especially when you have been with them for that long, there are plenty of banks and credit unions with competitive loan rates so I would recommend that you just shop around some other places rather than try to jump through hoops to get financing through USAA.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually you should not have mentioned Canada, it is made in Canada, you are receiving it in the US, just like some auto's are made in Mexico and elsewhere, but purchased in US. It is not your trailer until it crosses the border and is exported by Escape. Some people take things literally without thinking through. I have a Historic Marker on my house and one insurance company said they can not insure a national landmark. I said, I purchased the marker for $49 and it comes off really easy. Got the insurance. Tell the company your state of residence is where the insurance should be concerned with, same as your automobile, not where it is made.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually you should not have mentioned Canada, it is made in Canada, you are receiving it in the US, just like some auto's are made in Mexico and elsewhere, but purchased in US. It is not your trailer until it crosses the border and is exported by Escape. Some people take things literally without thinking through. I have a Historic Marker on my house and one insurance company said they can not insure a national landmark. I said, I purchased the marker for $49 and it comes off really easy. Got the insurance. Tell the company your state of residence is where the insurance should be concerned with, same as your automobile, not where it is made.
Armed with this info they may be able to sway their bank.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #7

Open to idea! Any banks or Credit Unions that you'd recommend? I've been Googling, but that's the needle-in-the-cyber-haystack approach!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
or use a credit union or a second on your mortgage. i took out a small line just to pay a portion of my 5.0 most was cash. but my interest was really low.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Actually, you make a good point. I am the buyer and the loan is not to ETI, but is for their product. I will taking delivery of it in the USA. On Monday, I will re-approach USAA (and no doubt get another loan rep on the phone.) I am a persistent bugger, so I was going to work the chain-of-command of USAA banking until I found a responsible adult who could approve the loan.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This sounds like a costly venture, as any business would want to be compensated for time and risk.

There are lots of banks out there who would be more than glad for the business if one has a good credit rating. I have changed banks in the past due to disappointing performance and policy.

Though for me personally, a trailer is not something I would ever finance. I would buy something used if I did not have the cash. Everyone has their own priorities though, and getting out camping somehow is a great one.
Trust me, I am not thrilled about financing the trailer. My plan was to pay off the loan early, but we have some other home improvement projects that are killing my cash flow (kitchen and master bathroom remodel). I would rather gnaw off my foot than deal with lenders, but I also want to start seeing the USA and Canada in an Escape!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If memory serves me Rbryan had the same issue with USAA in 2015. Maybe reach out to him to find out who he ended up using. They're obviously not the only game in town. I found I got better rates with AAA for insurance 17 years ago; prior to that USAA was always less for us.
Thanks, I will send him a message asking what his solution was!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Do you personally know any Expats? Seems like everyone I knew, there for a while, was retiring and moving out of the USA. Maybe Citi Bank?
Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
BTW, I re-read your comment about the historical marker and it made me laugh harder the second time. Great comment!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcumberbatch View Post
Actually, you make a good point. I am the buyer and the loan is not to ETI, but is for their product. I will taking delivery of it in the USA. On Monday, I will re-approach USAA (and no doubt get another loan rep on the phone.) I am a persistent bugger, so I was going to work the chain-of-command of USAA banking until I found a responsible adult who could approve the loan.
Is the trailer securing the loan? (If you were to default, would the lender repossess the trailer?)

My loan was with my credit union, share secured (my savings were/are the collateral). Even though the $$$$$ was "loaned" to ME, I'm pretty sure the money order was made to ETI; so my CU definitely knew it was going to a Canadian company.

The fact my loan was share secured may make a huge difference, however. (FWIW, we also use USAA for insurance and some of our banking.)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Open to ideas about Canadian banks that lend for RVs. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When I was 20 years old, my bank, the Bank of Montreal wouldn't approve a car loan. The dealer got me a loan at another bank. Closed my account at B of M almost 50 years ago and never went back.
And, to my knowledge, USAA is a company that capitalizes on the military. They wave the flag, but they aren't waving it for you.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Is the trailer securing the loan? (If you were to default, would the lender repossess the trailer?)

My loan was with my credit union, share secured (my savings were/are the collateral). Even though the $$$$$ was "loaned" to ME, I'm pretty sure the money order was made to ETI; so my CU definitely knew it was going to a Canadian company.

The fact my loan was share secured may make a huge difference, however. (FWIW, we also use USAA for insurance and some of our banking.)
That's interesting -- there is a credit union at the University where I work. I will check and see if I can get a loan there if I put enough of a deposit in the account.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When I was 20 years old, my bank, the Bank of Montreal wouldn't approve a car loan. The dealer got me a loan at another bank. Closed my account at B of M almost 50 years ago and never went back.
And, to my knowledge, USAA is a company that capitalizes on the military. They wave the flag, but they aren't waving it for you.
Very true. I am not a fan of USAA already. They still support the National Football League (NFL) with ads, even though the NFL player-millionaires take a knee during the National Anthem.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcumberbatch View Post
...though the NFL player-millionaires take a knee during the National Anthem.
Not going there, not going there.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not going there, not going there.
Yeah, I should leave political stuff out of it.