Looking to buy an Escape near South Gulf Florida - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs Wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: shopping
Looking to buy an Escape near South Gulf Florida

Shopping for a travel trailer. Anything within a day or so drive, so maybe North Carolina west to Louisiana and south to FL would be preferred.

PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 AM   #2

Trailer: EX 2007 Escape 17B, 2020 E 19' on order
What size are you looking for?
What is your price range?
What options do you want?
Do you want a newer model, or one that's already loved a bit.

If you find one, expect to act quick, they tend to sell fast. I waited for a year but couldn't find a used 19', we ended up ordering new, the demand is above average and the depreciation is low.

Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L 4X4 DC
Toronto to LA was Epic in my 17B
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Thanks for the questions

What size are you looking for? 19 or 21

What is your price range? A fair value cash buyer, however if too close to new it wouldn't make sense to buy used. IE If a new display model is under $31K I wouldn't want to consider 90% of new for used unless the unit had greater options I valued.
What options do you want? I am not sure there are any options that would be absolutely required, from what I see they all seem to be well equipped.
Do you want a newer model, or one that's already loved a bit.

One of the reason I like the fiberglass is that they hold up well. I would prefer one that looks relatively new ready to use and has completed its off-gassing, flexible on small repairs but don't want to buy a complete rebuild unless very inexpensive (although retired I can still build a new kitchen for a house on slab by myself). Minor fiberglass repair wouldn't scare me as being a longer term boat owner fiberglass and gel-coat are easily repaired compared to a leaky rotten stick built.

If you find one, expect to act quick, they tend to sell fast. I waited for a year but couldn't find a used 19', we ended up ordering new, the demand is above average and the depreciation is low.
I have been investigating my options for years and had narrowed my search to most likely buying a camplite 16tbs (19 overall) or 21rbs (23 overall) box aluminum trailer since they had low VOC build but then Thor bought and killed them so only used available now. I lived in Texas and have seen the Casita's for years and always thought they looked well built but just a bit small for two people. We now live in south gulf coast area of Florida north of Fort Meyers and look forward to summer camping to see the things I have on my bucket list and enjoy the warmer months in cooler areas.
We have been blessed to have the opportunity to make a good living and invested well and now want to enjoy our lives in retirement and I think Escape would be a good option.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
We have been blessed to have the opportunity to make a good living and invested well and now want to enjoy our lives in retirement and I think Escape would be a good option.
You may as well order new for several reasons, the price of recent used is normally close to 90% new. Why not get the options and color choices you want, make it your way.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
How much will it cost you to purchase new? It can be delivered for about $3,000. If you add up your real cost to pick it up Iíd bet over $2,000. By real cost I mean the actual cost to drive your vehicle one mile. I believe the current calculated cost is about 55 cents US.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I would agree if this is what you want to do consider ordering new, the exchange rate also makes it more feasible.
I live in Georgia and we found one by placing and add in the for sale section of this forum and it found us. We were going to order a new one but preferred the gen one and also at the time they had gone to only the automatic awning and did not want that option, that has now changed.
I would suggest though you be more specific at least with size you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Delivery is now approaching $4,000 US and the trip out there is wonderful to take, particularly in May where you can pick up and then drive 3 hours east to Osoyoos for the annual Escape Rally. Last year there were 180 of us and you get to see what others have done to their Escapes via an open house. In addition if there is anything wrong, Escape normally can fix it right there. I estimate the cost to Chilliwack/Osoyoos and return will cost around $2k for 2 weeks of fun.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

One main reasons to consider used is my wife is highly sensitive to the VOC in the off gassing of new trailers. A couple years old should have given the fiberglass, glues, and wood finishes time to dry. Its a real problem she can't go in the big home stores very long before her eyes are driving her crazy with burning and such.
That is also one of the reasons we were looking at the camplite trailers until Thor started changing things.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Delivery is now approaching $4,000 US and the trip out there is wonderful to take, particularly in May where you can pick up and then drive 3 hours east to Osoyoos for the annual Escape Rally. Last year there were 180 of us and you get to see what others have done to their Escapes via an open house. In addition if there is anything wrong, Escape normally can fix it right there. I estimate the cost to Chilliwack/Osoyoos and return will cost around $2k for 2 weeks of fun.

Could you clarify deliver to US is now approaching $4K?
I was under the impression that the import cost was pretty low, do they add a delivery charge I am unaware of?

I considered the trip to the northwest to do a new pickup to be a possible plus and not an extra cost, love that area of the US and camping expenditure is why we are planning to purchase a camper. Being retired now we always make a trip more than just a quick straight round trip when visiting relatives.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Currently Shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTXFL View Post
Could you clarify deliver to US is now approaching $4K?
I was under the impression that the import cost was pretty low, do they add a delivery charge I am unaware of?

I considered the trip to the northwest to do a new pickup to be a possible plus and not an extra cost, love that area of the US and camping expenditure is why we are planning to purchase a camper. Being retired now we always make a trip more than just a quick straight round trip when visiting relatives.
Escape will deliver your new trailer to your residence in Florida for a fee
The current delivery fee ranges between $2.80 to $3.00 per mile CND
Chilliwack BC Canada to your residence is approx 3300 miles
3300 X $3.00 = $9900.00 CND or about $7000.00 USD
I would agree with others that with the relatively small price difference between new and used , the relatively short lead time , and the ability to order the options you need and want
it may make economic sense to order new , drive to Chilliwack , pickup your trailer , head to Osoyoos and make a vacation out of the whole process .
If you have questions on how things work on an Escape trailer , Osoyoos is a great place to get all your questions answered
This forum is very helpful with deciding on which size and options to order
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Escape will deliver your new trailer to your residence in Florida for a fee
The current delivery fee ranges between $2.80 to $3.00 per mile CND
Chilliwack BC Canada to your residence is approx 3300 miles
3300 X $3.00 = $9900.00 CND or about $7000.00 USD
I would agree with others that with the relatively small price difference between new and used , the relatively short lead time , and the ability to order the options you need and want
it may make economic sense to order new , drive to Chilliwack , pickup your trailer , head to Osoyoos and make a vacation out of the whole process .
If you have questions on how things work on an Escape trailer , Osoyoos is a great place to get all your questions answered
This forum is very helpful with deciding on which size and options to order

would definitely spend the money to pickup myself, no sense in paying someone else to travel the same miles I want to travel anyway

thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Team

So, if you do decide to order, let us know and all of us can help you decide on your options, we love spending other people's money.....
Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: EX 2007 Escape 17B, 2020 E 19' on order
Our E19 is finished this week. Iím going to get it with my brother in May. Itís an adventure to me, never been to western Canada, If figure $1500 for gas and a few nights in a hotel room. Weíre planning on stopping at Road America for the vintage car races on the way home.

Besides the fact we couldnít find a used 19í, we ordered new because itís apples and oranges, for the money, the new trailer is much nicer, stainless sink, stove and range hood, the frosted glass on bulkhead doors, Iím excited.
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L 4X4 DC
Toronto to LA was Epic in my 17B
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, if you do decide to order, let us know and all of us can help you decide on your options, we love spending other people's money.....
By all means if we order I will be sure to ask you what items you felt were necessary. Just not sure how excited my wife with her sensitivities will be if I tell her I will be back when it is safe for her to enter. Possibly we are good candidates to by one that has been a show model and had more time to off gas. I know that the fiberglass doesn't fully cure for a while and stuff like glues and sealants can take a while. Its the near air tight trailer that make the fumes linger longer than they would in a residential home.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Our E19 is finished this week. Iím going to get it with my brother in May. Itís an adventure to me, never been to western Canada, If figure $1500 for gas and a few nights in a hotel room. Weíre planning on stopping at Road America for the vintage car races on the way home.

Besides the fact we couldnít find a used 19í, we ordered new because itís apples and oranges, for the money, the new trailer is much nicer, stainless sink, stove and range hood, the frosted glass on bulkhead doors, Iím excited.

I am starting to see how they operate without a sales distribution. You guys are some seriously happy campers.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
For too many reasons to rehash here, we had ETI deliver (Chilliwack to Alabama) our 21' in February of 2017 during the B.C. blizzard that forced them to close shop for a week or so, Because they were able to squeeze three campers onto one delivery trailer headed to the Southeast U.S, ETI gave us a significant delivery discount. (I assume they still do that.) While it would have been a little cheaper for us to have gone to get it, my wife didn't have to miss two weeks of work, and we didn't have to battle that nasty Winter weather. And, we had our new 21' here in Alabama, still in showroom condition, in time for the Green Eggs & Ham Rally that March. As previous camper owners, we weren't interested in any orientation beyond what ETI had posted on their website. Now that my wife is retired, too, we hope to make the Escape Rally one of these years and tour the manufacturing plant where our egg was hatched.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #17

Thanks War Eagle, that is something I will be sure to remember as a possible option. We spent some time this evening looking at the inventory list to see if we found a match. Hope to get to few some local trailers soon to get a better idea of what we would be buying. Probably the $500 dollars round trip for airfare is worth peace of mind before buying something that costs $35K+, beside Vancouver is a great town to visit some nice people up there.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
Hi Patrick,
I live in Englewood and have a 2015 19 ft, if you want to take a look at it.
I was planning on selling this Spring but haven't gotten very far with that idea yet.
Enjoy your search,
Julie
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 14, 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTXFL View Post
Thanks War Eagle, that is something I will be sure to remember as a possible option. We spent some time this evening looking at the inventory list to see if we found a match. Hope to get to few some local trailers soon to get a better idea of what we would be buying. Probably the $500 dollars round trip for airfare is worth peace of mind before buying something that costs $35K+, beside Vancouver is a great town to visit some nice people up there.
Hi Patrick, we flew to Chilliwack prior to ordering. We were able to get into quite a few Escapes at the Mississippi Rally but it's not the same as spending ample time looking into the various units and getting a good feel of what we were doing.

At Chilliwack we were able to see the differences in the units along with options like the electric vs manual awning, the insulation packages, the sliding vs awning windows, the size of the dinette, bath, counters etc.

By actually going to Chilliwack we were able to put some time both inside and outside of the units. This made our final decision much easier and we spent less time second guessing our decisions once we got home. Of course we still made some changes once we home, we had ETI leave the table unmounted for our Lagun, we added the shiny wheels, we changed to the the full inverter (yes, we do use it).

Plus, it wasn't all bad to get away, we enjoyed our time in Canada.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
Hi Patrick,
I live in Englewood and have a 2015 19 ft, if you want to take a look at it.
I was planning on selling this Spring but haven't gotten very far with that idea yet.
Enjoy your search,
Julie

We wanted to say thank you so much for allowing us to see your trailer. Cute pups to.