Wanted - Escape 19, in Florida - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #1

Trailer: In the market
Wanted - Escape 19, in Florida

Yes, way down south. Looking for a 19' Escape in the southeast. Will travel outside of the southeast for the right TT

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by subagon View Post
Yes, way down south. Looking for a 19' Escape in the southeast. Will travel outside of the southeast for the right TT

Thanks,

Mike
The "right TT" in my mind is the one you order with the options YOU want. Bite the bullet, order one, and make the marathon drive (in my case, 4 days and 3,200+ miles from the Tampa Bay Area to Bellingham). Then take delivery and enjoy a leisurely voyage/vacation camping on the return trip.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
A fairly new used one will probably cost almost, (if not more), than a new one. Right now the US - Canadian exchange rate is very favorable.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Right now the US - Canadian exchange rate is very favorable.
Case in point:

During the Bluebonnet Rally we had literally dozens of people tour our Escape 19 - mostly Casita owners or prospective owners. One mentioned that the Casita 17 SD was "so much cheaper" than my 19. So, I broke down the math: The 2015 Casita price sheet being distributed by the Casita rep showed a price of about 20K. The Escape 19 base price was about 25K. With the conversion rate factored in, that came to about 20.5K. You should have seen the look on that man's face when he realized that for about $500 or $600 more, he could have an Escape 19 instead of a Casita 17.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Case in point:

During the Bluebonnet Rally we had literally dozens of people tour our Escape 19 - mostly Casita owners or prospective owners. One mentioned that the Casita 17 SD was "so much cheaper" than my 19. So, I broke down the math: The 2015 Casita price sheet being distributed by the Casita rep showed a price of about 20K. The Escape 19 base price was about 25K. With the conversion rate factored in, that came to about 20.5K. You should have seen the look on that man's face when he realized that for about $500 or $600 more, he could have an Escape 19 instead of a Casita 17.
For a fair comparison, you also need to factor in the costs of any features that may be included in one but not the other.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
For a fair comparison, you also need to factor in the costs of any features that may be included in one but not the other.
Fair enough. Here's a first pass:

Standard Features on a Casita that don’t have an Escape 19 Equivalent:
Tongue Jack Wheel
Lug Wrench

Options on a Casita that have an Escape 19 equivalent, and are included standard on the Escape:
15” Tires and Wheels –D Range
High Lift Axle
25 Gallon Fresh Water Tank (Escape is 20)
Vinyl Flooring
Sink Cover
Fan for Refrigerator
Furnace 16000 BTU (Escape’s is 11000 BTU)
Awning (Escape's is larger and stronger)

Standard features on an Escape 19 that don’t have a Casita equivalent:
Bike Rack Ready
120 Volt Interior Outlets (5)
12 Volt/USB Interior Outlet
Counter Extension off sink
Power Range Hood with light
TWO exterior porch lights
LED Brake Lights
Front Rock Guards
8” Queen size custom coil mattress
Tandem Axle Torflex Suspension
Oak door package
Custom Wood Interior finish
Valances

Of course, in some cases it's comparing apples to oranges because of the design and layout differences, but generally speaking you're getting a ton of standard features with the Escape that are either options or not available on the Casita.

I'd say my comparison was fair - and then some.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We were to both the Casita factory and the ETI factory. The only problem we ran into with choosing ETI was that the trailer grew by about four feet. Loren
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

My hope (dream?) is to find one locally in the next month or two. Failing that, the wife and I will decide what step(s) to take next. I'm sure we need to see an Escape before we put any money down and I'd hope it would be the 19. The floor plan of the 19 really fits our needs. I'm tall and that queen size bed sure looks nice. I would think about the 21' but don't like the smaller bed.

Mike
Tampa, FL
Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
My hope (dream?) is to find one locally in the next month or two. Failing that, the wife and I will decide what step(s) to take next. I'm sure we need to see an Escape before we put any money down and I'd hope it would be the 19. The floor plan of the 19 really fits our needs. I'm tall and that queen size bed sure looks nice. I would think about the 21' but don't like the smaller bed.

Mike
Tampa, FL
Well, the 21 bed is a bit narrower, but not shorter. The 21 is roomier too, especially the kitchen counter. We love our 19 and don't care for the bed's location in the 21, but look at both if you can before you decide. The 21 is very popular, and for good reason.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #10

Well we found a listing for a used class C Born Free last night with the floor plan we like. The wife and I had a long talk about it. Either we go with a class C now or wait until next year for an Escape. The asking price for the Born Free is around the same as a new Escape 19 with options. Having been looking for a while, I've become familiar with the asking prices of these RVs. One thing I've noticed is that the depreciation on a class C is much greater than any fiberglass TT I've seen. However, the Born Free does hold it's value better than most class C's. From listings I've been saving, I see that there will be a big drop in value on the Born Free I saw within 3 or 4 years from now and then it will more or less bottom out. So that's going to be a drop from the current asking price of $32K to around $20K from the data I have seen. From $20K the value keeps dropping, but at a much lower rate.

To end this long story, we've decided to go with the Escape The plan now is to try and see one and decide between the 19 and 21. This will be our first RV, so we're not 100% sure we're going to "love" it. In case we find out we've made the wrong decision, we won't have any trouble selling an Escape and it should hold it's value well.

I think we're going to be fine with our decision. We've been tent camper for over 35 years and we'd like a little more comfort now
Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
You need to visit both a 19 and 21; you'll like both after decades of tent camping (I did same.) The 21 is a bit wider than the 19 so is probably closer to your class C thoughts; also has a no-crawlover bed for bathroom breaks.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Mike, don't worry, you made the right decision and you will love an Escape. As far as a Born Free, it would be great too but if you are looking at money, higher costs for insurance and repairs. Just for your information, an Escape loses about $1000 per year as a rough estimate, depending on options, assuming you do not remove standard equipment such as shower or bathroom.

As for the 19' or 21', that is largely a bed size and layout issue as to your personal needs. The 21' has more counter but the 19' has a bigger bed. Also, with resale in mind, you need two big items: A/C and insulation and thermal windows.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We went to Chilliwack last fall to compare the 19 and 21 side by side. If you see them both rather than looking at pictures, you will be sure you made the right decision. You should be able to accomplish this without going all of the way to Chilliwack. We will be in Florida in about 3 weeks, but unfortunately sans trailer. Loren
Old 05-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Wanted - Escape 19, in Florida

Quote:
To end this long story, we've decided to go with the Escape The plan now is to try and see one and decide between the 19 and 21. This will be our first RV, so we're not 100% sure we're going to "love" it. In case we find out we've made the wrong decision, we won't have any trouble selling an Escape and it should hold it's value well.

I think we're going to be fine with our decision. We've been tent camper for over 35 years and we'd like a little more comfort now

If our experience is of any value, here goes:

Our 19 was our first RV. We had always camped in tents, and wanted something comfortable, durable and economical to use. Researching all the different types, we knew we wanted a molded fiberglass trailer. No rust, no rot, very low maintenance and very low depreciation. But which one? We called and Emailed Casita since it's only a few hours away, and got nada. Zip. Zilch. To this day, they've never responded to my voice mail or email.

So, we went to FGRV to find out about other brands. Surprisingly, there aren't that many manufacturers still in business. Saw the Scamp, then the Escape, which I was completely unfamiliar with. In comparing the two it was obvious that the Escape was a breed apart. One piece shell, no rivets, no "rat fur" on the walls, wood interior, and a ton of available options. So, I sent an email.

Within 15 minutes I received a reply and a thank you for my inquiry, a price sheet and other helpful information about the factory schedule and available delivery dates.

Later I joined the Escape Forum and learned just how well respected Escapes are in the fiberglass RV world. Learned a ton about them in a very short time.

Long story short, this gave us the confidence that the Escape was for us. We put a deposit down sight unseen. Later, a 19 owner who we met through the forum (Steve and Cynthia in Boerne) invited us over to tour their trailer. If we hadn't known we had made the right decision before that visit, we certainly did afterwards.

Our trip to pick up our Escape was the most fun we've had in many years. Just a wonderful trip full of memories that will last a lifetime. We named our trailer 'Past Tents' -- and it certainly is way past them. Sleeping in warmth and comfort in the Cascades or the Rocky Mountains, we wondered why we hadn't done this sooner.

Fast forward to now. We could not be happier with our 19. It's everything we wanted and more. I could also go on and on about the stellar customer service we've received from Reace and Tammy at Escape, just as all the other owners have.

There have been more than a few decisions I've made in life that turned out badly. Buying an Escape was not one of them.

Lastly, your wallet will be FAR happier as you pass all those gas pumps with your Escape that you would have been stopping at with a motorhome.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Mike, I think you and your wife made the correct decision. I know I'll be quite happy with the one we eventually order.

Last month I rented a 32' Jayco for an eventual 1900 mile trip from Seattle to Sacramento and then back up along highway 101. Before I rented it I knew I didn't want a motor home, but thought we'd want to get a TT instead. I'm not into tent camping, so I wanted to see if I liked the lifestyle of having your mobile home with you. Yeah, I do!

For months we went to RV shows, visited dealers and I followed the forums for a few different companies. During my trip I went through some R-Pods and talked to owners at a campsite. I was very interested and started reading a forum for them. One common thread for all of those forums was the amount of complaining about what didn't work, asking how to fix it, problems with service/dealers, this and that. I finally said enough is enough when one person posted that "it's the nature of the beast" sort of comment. I decided that wasn't good enough for me.

After I got home from my month-long rental, my dad suggested I check out Scamps. He lives near their factory and had toured it a few years ago. That got me to reading more on the internet and I discovered this forum. I never looked back. I tried to dig pretty deep, but I wasn't able to find any complaints about the Escapes. (Well, there was the one fellow that said his trailer wasn't big enough for the moose he got in Alaska and something about his axles.) Yeah, there might be a few problems, but they were all solved very quickly by the company itself or a repair shop close to the owner (and then the company paid for it, if need be).

WOW - what a difference!!
I was very, very impressed with what I was reading on this forum. We were fortunate in touring 4 different Escape trailers in the Seattle area. There's a lot of 'em in my neck of the woods.

As others have said, it can make a difference once you tour them. You might have to travel a bit to see one, but if you can, definitely do it. Although, others have bought sight unseen, including one fellow in The Netherlands!

I posted about the tours on this forum, so if you'd like to read them, please do so. I'm 5'10" and appx 220#. Having a full length bed is my #1 priority in what we eventually purchase. If you're used to tents, the 19' will feel really good to you. We're not, so it felt too small for me. We've decided the 5.0TA is the best option for us. But we would not have known that without looking at them.

Maybe you could do a string mock-up of the different trailers, if you're not able to view them. That way you'll get a good idea of how much walking around space there is, how the beds will fit ya and all that. there's lots of different posts on this forum, including photos, so you should get a good idea of what options you'll want. I've started a spreadsheet of options. One fellow told me to estimate $10,000 worth of options, and while I'm not quite there, it is just over $7,000 in options (and before I figure in the cost of ordering my own custom flooring, fabric and countertop).

Here's my posts:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...oter-5614.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...oday-5629.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html

Enjoy figuring out what you want!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
One fellow told me to estimate $10,000 worth of options...
Wow, that could be a huge red flag to potential buyers. I didn't spend near that amount of money and I would strongly suggest that the basic Escape model with NO options is perfect for a lot of people. Not everyone needs enough power to require huge inverters or 12-volt plugs every four feet or lights everywhere or the myriad other options mentioned on this forum. It seems that the tone of this forum has changed in the last few years and is veering toward who can spend the most money, have the most options, or make the most modifications. Just my opinion...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Wow, that could be a huge red flag to potential buyers. I didn't spend near that amount of money and I would strongly suggest that the basic Escape model with NO options is perfect for a lot of people. Not everyone needs enough power to require huge inverters or 12-volt plugs every four feet or lights everywhere or the myriad other options mentioned on this forum. It seems that the tone of this forum has changed in the last few years and is veering toward who can spend the most money, have the most options, or make the most modifications. Just my opinion...
I agree with Karen in that I have also noticed a definite change in attitudes over the past 3 yrs. When I joined this forum while shopping for a fiberglass rv, the impression I got was that the Standard Escape was perfectly suitable for 99% of a persons needs, and it is nice to add a few options as luxury items. I am not sure if it is one-upmanship or something else, but to me it seems that many newcomers to the site are convinced by "us" that a new Escape is not complete unless it has nearly all of the available options (and other options not currently offered) on the standard Escapes. There are countless threads on the forum discussing changes/additions/options that should be added to new Escapes at the time of ordering.

I think it is well worth reminding everyone on this site, both oldtimers and newtimers, that a new Escape with only the Standard features is an excellent product, and it is not absolutely necessary to get more than that to be happy with your purchase.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Karen,

You're not the first to make that observation. But, at least nobody has yet posted that they are "gutting" their trailer.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yeah, but if you can get options to make the trailer the way YOU want it, why not? And what's wrong with being willing to pay for it? We're not rich. We're going to have to save up the money for it (I'm going to sell my animal figurine collection to help pay for it). We don't have a big-ass house nor will we ever (it'd be a tear-down for anyone purchasing after we keel over; people never say "nice house" when they see it). However, we do plan on keeping this trailer for an awfully long time, so why not put some money into it to make it the way we want it?

I know I haven't been on here for very long, but I have not felt there's any "one-upmanship" going on. I've felt like it's folks knowing they can order what they want and getting what they want. Some folks like to fiddle around and make changes themselves. Others want the factory to do it for them and are willing to pay for it as they don't have the time/skill/desire to do it themselves.

So, to each their own. I prefer to add options as I want to be comfortable in my home-away-from-home trailer. I want to look at my custom flooring/fabric/countertop and have it bring a smile to my face instead of thinking "yeah, that's kind of boring".

I've seen plenty of comments on what someone would have added to their trailer when they ordered. Far more than from folks saying "wish I hadn't ordered" a particular option.

So, yeah, the basic Escape trailer will work for many folks. But so will one with options added that they want for their enjoyment and comfort. If it's considered glamping, oh well - I don't have a problem with that. I never wanted to sleep on rocks or pee outside. And that's why I never went tent camping except for when forced to as a kid by our parents.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I just looked over our build list: We originally had just over $4000 worth of options. When we sent a big check to ETI, the exchange rate was such that our payment was much, much bigger in Canadian dollars, so we added another $3000 worth of options over the last 4 months, and still are within our budget.
I haven't gotten the feeling of 'one-upsmanship' on the forum, but a lot of great suggestions and plus/minus analysis of 'druthers', that went into our later decisions.
It is, after all, our chosen path to have fun in when I retire. We're goin' for it! And, this brand is going to last well into our offspring's family years.
We did not go into this price-blind. The base prices are on ETI's website, as are the Features and Options/costs Lists. We read everything on their site beforehand. And we made a prelim. list before we ever contacted ETI. That's just the prudent thing to do. And I guess I'm assuming that everyone does the same, that's why they're in a financially firm position to make such decisions.