1/2 ownership in a 5.0 TA/21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
1/2 ownership in a 5.0 TA/21

Was wondering if anyone in the vicinity of Victoria,Vancouver, Seattle, Portland would be interested in the possibility of half ownership. Our needs would be the months of Nov-March yearly. We also have a dog, golden retriever. We are very responsible owners and look after our investments. We own an older cabin cruiser and are preoccupied with that activity from spring to fall. It just seems a shame to have a great trailer sitting all summer when someone else could be enjoying it!
Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Aahh, an Escape time share, unique idea.....
Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Would either seriously inhibit mods or result in many more!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BC Ferry fares would severely limit the appeal for anyone off Island.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think this idea is interesting. I have zero interest in sharing Ten Forward with anyone (including Family), but what's the difference between sharing an all-molded-towable and a time share? YES, changes would need to be decided in advance and you'd hope everyone is equally "clean." But still.. while it's NOT for me it may be for others. Hummmm
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Could work in the right situation. We have some friends that 3 families have shared a pop up for about 7 years and it's not ending well. Maintenance, yearly licensing and who has it stored at their house have all caused issues. One family seems to always have it on the times the others want it. (The one who has it at their house) We're kinda curious how it's going to end soon.
Probably if lawyers drafted time share contracts spelling out all the details so it could be enforced easily in Court if necessary it might function.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Buddy of mine and his family shared a cabin.
He got to do all the maintenance, collect money, etc. etc.
I helped him re-roof it and I drank beer while he painted it.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
In some partnerships like this, the honeymoon can be over very quickly. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Friends are friends. Family is family. Business is business. Do NOT mix up the three.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #10

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
1/2 ownership

Back when they were relatively cheap a pilot buddy of mine wanted me to buy a P-51 Mustang airplane with him. I was a licensed mechanic and he wasn't mechanically inclined, I knew how that would work and I declined. Nancy doesn't want anyone including our kids using our trailer and surely not share it.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Even Steven Honest!!! I'm sure the insurance industry would have a field day with this and even the best of friends would end up fuming at times. Not for me thanks. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Interesting concept, heavens knows most RVs just sit in a parking lot most of the time. If you were just looking to use the trailer for one, maybe two extended trips a year, this might not be a bad idea. But for those like us, who do lots of weekend trips, it just would not work.

I don't mind lending my trailer out to family at all, if I am not using it. I did that a few times with my 19. I know that they would take care of it, leave it in clean condition, and fix anything that might break. For me, this is what family is all about, sharing, in one form or another. I own 70 acres of rec land with my brothers, and a few revenue properties, and have done so for well over 20 years without any problems. Sometimes I end up doing more work, as I am the builder guy in the family, and on the revenue properties, I just charge for it, and they are more than happy to pay.

I don't think there would be an insurance issue in the case of a shared trailer, if it is not a business deal. If renting, you would likely have to have better coverage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Normally there are not too many issues owing jointly held property, either tenants in common or tenants by entirety, even as non related ownership. I have owned beach front property with 2 other couples, insurance and taxes and loans were all non issues.
As long as you have written agreements it is simple. Owning personal property in 2 names is simple.The only down side is in case of death or loan default of one of the parties, then you have heirs and estate vested interests as well as the bank trying to take over. But again a simple agreement specifying that in case of demise the unit would revert back to the other owner and they would take over the loan should handle that concern. It can be done easily.....
Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Given the OP's off seasonal useage, it seems reasonable to pursue a shared use situation.

I've heard many horror stories over the years about shared agreements not working out. Sometimes it's "you buy the place, I'll do the maintenance" kind of set-up which seems not to work out. But, on the other hand, the one time I tried sharing a boat it worked out really well. A friend had a boat in Greece that she couldn't use for a year and I had a boat here so I got to use the boat in the Med. for a year and she got to use my boat here. Worked well without any issues because we each knew that we'd deal with and be responsible for any issues.

As long as the O.P. approaches this the same way a landlord looks at a prospective tenant they should be successful in finding a partner that will be responsible and take care of the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote