10 Nights in a 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
10 Nights in a 5.0 TA

After 10 nights and almost 1000 km towing, this is my initial report on our 2019 5.0 TA.

We made an informed decision when buying our 5.0 TA, trading off floor space for ease of use. We come from backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and our first RV was a 1989 Roadtrek van. Our new Escape is the biggest, most comfortable backpack we've ever owned! In our neighbourhood smaller RVs get used, really big ones stay parked.

The first trip was 4 nights at the rally in Osoyoos. We have twin beds and we learned that they needed some help. My wife thought the bed too soft, I thought it too hard. Queen size memory foam topper from Costco cut in half with a bread knife solved the problem for both of us. Now the beds are at least as comfortable as the ones at home, can sleep all night in the same position without being stiff in the morning.

Our second trip was 6 nights in the woods of Washington state. With the comfort issue solved we made other observations about the sleeping quarters. They are cramped and one could get claustrophobic. That being said we knew this was one of the trade offs for the 5.0 TA and made an informed decision. The sleeping quarters are comfortable and well ventilated, we just need to develop our technique. I injured myself coming down the steps from the sleeping quarters, my wife injured herself twice going up the same stairs. This was our fault, need to slow down and take more care.

We chose not to have the table installed instead using that area as a lounge along the lines of what Northwest Cat Lover has reported. We have added Obus Forme seat supports and a number of cushions to make a reasonably comfortable lounge. It was well tested during the 3 days of rain on the Washington trip.

One place that Escape could improve is in the quality of the foam used in the dinette. It is quite soft and flimsy offering little support. Our 30 year old Roadtrek had 4" of dual density foam and remained very comfortable through to the end. Some of the stickies currently on offer have 5" of firm foam, much more comfortable.

We have used all systems except the inverter and the outside LP. Only one issue, the water pump would not quit until it overheated and went into protection mode. A stop at Escape on the way home. They immediately sent a technician to the trailer and the problem was solved in under 5 minutes. Great service.

Only other issue, as others have reported the the awning windows in the sleeping quarters vibrate open during travel. Easy fix, slice of pool noodle between the knob and the window frame. Not worth worrying about.

Where the 5.0TA really shone was in its towability. Now I do not say that I did not notice the 5000 lb trailer that I was towing through the mountains, but it's towing manners were impeccable. Much nicer to tow than I expected, easy to park when getting groceries, easy at crowded gas stations. I tow with a 2011 Sierra 5.3, 3.42 6 speed. Plenty of power even up the steep inclines of the Coquihalla. Limited fuel mileage to report, best so far 15.3 mpg imperial or 12.2 mpg US. Might even be easier to drive than my old Roadtrek.

At the campground in Washington was a brand new 35-40 ft fifth wheel with three slides. It sat empty for the first 2 days of rain, the people either went home or to a hotel. On day 3 of rain they showed up with their brand new F350 diesel and 8ft box and hauled their trailer away. As they drove by our Escape they looked out their window slack jawed and amazed that anyone would camp in such a small rig. I guess it depends if you're moving down from a house or up from a backpack!
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have to agree on the foam. I full-time and work from the bench, and the foam where I sit was OK at first but is pretty much dead at this point.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Maybe they were thinking, “Wow, now why didn’t we think of that?” Glad you are having such a good experience with your Escape!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I have to agree on the foam. I full-time and work from the bench, and the foam where I sit was OK at first but is pretty much dead at this point.

I sink through the cushion shortly after sitting, it's gotten worse as time goes on. I tried a full size sheet of high density foam, it was way too hard. Went back to the original low density, which the upholstery shop agreed was very soft, and put a 1" sheet of high density under the original, much better, I no longer sink through, although it is a tad high and doesn't look too great.

If I can get back to the shop, I'm going to try a sheet of 2" high under a sheet of 2" soft and see how that works. I'll need glue them together to get them into the cover.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I simply went to a foam store and bought the two seat cushions in a slightly denser foam and it works well for me now. My weight had me pressing through to the wood a bit, but not now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I've experienced soft foam in another Escape, however both our 2010 17B and now our 2014 21 came with almost too hard density foam. After 4.5 years I put in new 4" bottom cushion foam, mostly as I know an upholstery shop that gets good foam from Texas- used them for our bed foundation and it is still great. Cost me about $75 each for the bottom foam and he installed them.