17' B Bed - Reading Light Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
17' B Bed - Reading Light Question

Hey Escapers,

We asked Tammy to put in an extra reading light so we can both read in bed in our upcoming 17'B. Tammy suggested that we might want to sleep with our heads on the passenger side end as there is a little more room on that end and the thermostat is on that end.

Suggestions before we decide on which end to mount the extra light?

Thanks as always,
Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: 17' B Bed - Reading Light Question

No ideas for you on which way to put your heads, I prefer to look towards the door, but then our 19 has the cooking area on the reverse side of the 17B. I did have Reace run power supply for two reading lights that I mounted in the corners of the bed, and bought two 12V LED reading lights, this way I can focus the beam on my book without it shining in the eyes of my wife.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hey Jim, what do those reading lights look like, and where did you get them?
As to the "which end" question, I'd think it depends on who sleeps on which side, and who's up first (or during the night). Since somebody has to crawl over someone else, that would seem to lead to the most practical answer. In our Casita, I slept on the outside, because my special girl (ie. my wife) tends to get up in the middle of the night, and I loved crawling over her in the AM! One big advantage (and downer too I guess) of the 5.0.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer
Hey Escapers,

We asked Tammy to put in an extra reading light so we can both read in bed in our upcoming 17'B. Tammy suggested that we might want to sleep with our heads on the passenger side end as there is a little more room on that end and the thermostat is on that end.

Suggestions before we decide on which end to mount the extra light?

Thanks as always,
Eric

What about just getting those LED dot it lights that stick to anything.. we use them and they're great.. that way you can put them anywhere. We got ours at Costco and they have 3 movable (6 led) sections that can direct the light.. anyway just a suggestion

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Good idea Jeff, that way you don't have to hard wire them!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I have one of those 3 LED Dot Lights in my closet at home. I am not sure I could do any reading with the light emmited from it. The issue is how close can you get it to what you are reading. I think if you pasted it on your forehead it might work. Then again a LED head lamp would probably be more comfortable.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Hey Jim, what do those reading lights look like, and where did you get them?
As to the "which end" question, I'd think it depends on who sleeps on which side, and who's up first (or during the night). Since somebody has to crawl over someone else, that would seem to lead to the most practical answer. In our Casita, I slept on the outside, because my special girl (ie. my wife) tends to get up in the middle of the night, and I loved crawling over her in the AM! One big advantage (and downer too I guess) of the 5.0.
Dan, THESE are the ones I have, but are discontinued it seems. THIS page has a few that could be ceiling (under cabinet) mounted too. It would be real easy to get power from the light that is there already.

Jeff, have you tried to read by those lights, I wonder about their power output, especially if they are 4' away from your book. They are good for general use for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

I must admit, I'm not a paper reader, I tend to use the computer more these days. I get the daily paper emailed to me and I'm not really a "book reader".. so you guys got me .

We use the LED mainly in Bath-room as ambient lighting.. The ones we got have a motion detection in them so it come on when we open the door.. I think I said they have 6 led.. but now that I think of it there's 9..

My wife actually uses the LED book light and I think she's pretty happy with it..She's smarter than me, she reads books..I stare at pictures and shinny things.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Shay & I each use LED Headlamps from REI for reading in bed. That way the light is right where you want it on whatever you are reading and minimizes the light from disturbing anyone else that may be trying to sleep. We also use the headlamps for a lot of other things outside the trailer when we're out camping (with & without Grasshopper).

Brad

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote