17 Build-one year later - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #61

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
the problem with potty space in my 17a is because I had ETI do a front dinette set up rather than a permanent bed. in the "usual" layout for the permanent bed the potty space is just inside the door and has no "lip" on the floor so the potty can slide in and out, but i think you are limited to the smallest dimension portapotti. (you can see this in the eti photos)

the bench of my dinette that is just inside the door is not wide enough on edge for a door for a potty. i do have a door there at the entry door end of the passenger side bench (like in the 19) which provides inside access to that bench. very handy. (it was extra)

the reason for the front dinette was that it enabled me to have a 30 inch wide bed in the front (fine for me) and a short (22 inch wide) seat just inside the door and another across from that seat. i just rearranged the cushions, leave one large bench cushion at home, and bought some summer furniture seat pillows for the three missing areas...one short bench and a backrest for each side.

pictures available on request.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #62

Trailer: 1995 Coleman Acadia
I linked to this post from another one currently active thread so I am resurrecting it.

Nice work, here. So, about the spray foam insulation...are you saying Escape “mistakenly “shorted” you? Or ...? Did you follow up with them on it?

Did you use R-Tech rigid foam? If so, do you plan to seal it off and create a vapor barrier with an additional material of some kind? It is my limited understanding that you need a vapor barrier for the insulation to be most effective? We’re there any concerns with condensation build up as it relates to the project? How did it go? I am new to the forum and haven’t yet seen “Ron’s mod.”

Again, thanks for the great post. We have our sights set on a 17A for the very reasons you mentioned, though I can’t shake my thinking that the outdoor shower would be nice to have. Maybe we just get one of those bags to hang in the sun or maybe this shower truly has uses for some beyond washing your dog? We don’t have a dog. 😬
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #63

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
“though I can’t shake my thinking that the outdoor shower would be nice to have. Maybe we just get one of those bags to hang in the sun or maybe this shower truly has uses for some beyond washing your dog? We don’t have a dog. “

We don’t have a dog either but always use the shower. We have a small folding table and a flexible spout which snaps into the water outlet. That’s where we wash dishes usually. May not be needed in a 21, but in a 17B it’s pretty nice! Downside: one more cold weather vulnerability for a frozen line, but we try to deal with that by inserting a soft foam pad inside the hatch covering the shower outlet for insulation. Works so far
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #64

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Michael: On a long and old thread it is particularly important to hit "QUOTE" underneath what you are responding to. Then delete the extraneous information. It appears you were responding to dfandrews original quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
-Spray foam under trailer – YES – same as above Yes! works as advertised. But, ETI only sprayed full -thickness on the back half of the trailer. The front portion is about ½ inch thick, so I added some carpet on the floor under the bed for insulation. Check the foam during your inspection prior to accepting your trailer. (Looks like I'll have to copy Ron's mod with rigid insulation.)
Regarding doing rigid foam in lieu of or to supplement spray foam here is Ron's installation. I also did it years ago on a Scamp 16.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-underfloor-insulation-7046.html

www.scampowners.com/forums/spray-foam-underbody-greater-insulation-cold
Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I linked to this post from another one currently active thread so I am resurrecting it.

Nice work, here. So, about the spray foam insulation...are you saying Escape “mistakenly “shorted” you? Or ...? Did you follow up with them on it?

Did you use R-Tech rigid foam? If so, do you plan to seal it off and create a vapor barrier with an additional material of some kind? It is my limited understanding that you need a vapor barrier for the insulation to be most effective? We’re there any concerns with condensation build up as it relates to the project? How did it go? I am new to the forum and haven’t yet seen “Ron’s mod.”
Michael: On a long and old thread it is particularly important to hit "QUOTE" underneath what you are responding to. Then delete the extraneous information. It appears you were responding to dfandrews original quote:
Quote:
-Spray foam under trailer – YES – same as above Yes! works as advertised. But, ETI only sprayed full -thickness on the back half of the trailer. The front portion is about ½ inch thick, so I added some carpet on the floor under the bed for insulation. Check the foam during your inspection prior to accepting your trailer. (Looks like I'll have to copy Ron's mod with rigid insulation.)
Regarding doing rigid foam in lieu of or to supplement spray foam here is Ron's installation. I also did it years ago on a Scamp 16.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-underfloor-insulation-7046.html

www.scampowners.com/forums/spray-foam-underbody-greater-insulation-cold
Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #66

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Michael,
regarding my comment from 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews

I did discuss the issue with Reace, at the 2017 Escape Trailer Rally, and ETI would have dealt with it, except that we were going a different direction on a tighter schedule than would allow for the stop at their facility. So, still on my someday to do list is the insulation underneath, exactly as per Ron's mod. (See Dave's link in post #65)

Our camping style is such that hot or cold, if we're camping, we're out and doing stuff. The furnace keeps us as toasty as we want to be!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Our camping style is such that hot or cold, if we're camping, we're out and doing stuff. The furnace keeps us as toasty as we want to be!
One thing that I will add is that the stock Escape floor (even without spray foam) with the full fiberglass shell underneath is MUCH warmer than a Scamp with exposed OSB floor. I assume this holds true for a Casita as well since they have a full fiberglass shell. In very cold weather your shoes can freeze to the floor in a Scamp!
Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #68

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
One thing that I will add is that the stock Escape floor (even without spray foam) with the full fiberglass shell underneath is MUCH warmer than a Scamp with exposed OSB floor. I assume this holds true for a Casita as well since they have a full fiberglass shell. In very cold weather your shoes can freeze to the floor in a Scamp!
We put in many below freezing days with our February trip this year. We left from Minnesota and came back to Minnesota. Not once were we cold nor did we notice the floor being cold. We do have the underbelly insulation, but can't really say that it helps or not.

I also found that my fear of freezing the trailer up was unfounded. We were winterized when we left home and we winterized the last 2 days on the return. We put water in the fresh tank the first day it stayed above freezing and on the return when the 24 hour forecast predicted constant below freezing temperature.

We did have our hose freeze up one night, after that if it were to get below freezing I disconnected the hose. Nothing froze up in the trailer though, we stayed toasty warm.