17' vs. 19' sleeping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #11

Re: 17' vs. 19' sleeping

Thane and Jon, I will keep that in mind. Glad to know that someone has slept in that front bed.
I wouldn't want to be by the wall either but then you don't get squashed when the other person gets up.
Jim, I don't think we'll go for any record! But then I see that the bed is now labeled at 52" (whereas I think it was previously labeled 49") so there is another big 3" for someone to go after that record. (wonder where the 3" came from --- insulated vs. uninsulated?!)
Cathy

Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0

I believe you will find that the 17A has a 52" permanent bed plus a 49" bed when the dinette is made into a bed.

The 17B has a 49" bed when the rear dinette is made into a bed and 30" bed when the front dinette is made into a bed.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Thanks, Barry! I was looking at the 52" on the layout which is the front bed. I thought maybe that rear bed gained a few inches somehow! I obviously can't keep this all straight. Still looking at the numbers and the features. I may get it figured out yet.

We tried partitioning off the bed and that didn't exactly work. My better half then spent the morning sleeping in an easy chair. Maybe that's why he wants to see a 19'.
Cathy
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Loving our modification to our 17B where we almost have a king sized bed sleeping the same way as the 5.0

a very quick easy set up/take down and soooo much nicer to have the extra room for shoulders and easy to get out without disturbing the other person...

The extra table piece stores under the made up bed in the daytime or else in the back of our vehicle...
(if you search bed extension you can see pictures from when we had it made)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #15

Anna-Marie,
Great idea! We will have to consider that all right.
Cathy
Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2004 Chinook Concourse (Molded fiberglass!)

Hello Cathy,
We have owned two 17ft. Escapes and now have a 19ft. As with everthing else that has to do with trailer choice/tow vehicle, it is all about personal preference. We couldn't be happier than we are with our current Escape! With the 17 ft. versions, we slept in separate spaces and had to make up both of our beds nightly. The rear dinette was just a bit too tight for both of us. We love having a permanent queen bed (with a mattress that we love! We ordered our own memory foam mattress and it's great), more width (amazing what a difference 4 extra inches makes!), and the tandem axles. We have found that we get the same or better gas mileage pulling the 19ft. (Same tow vehicle) and it is easier to back up. If you can, spend some time in both models and see what you think and how it feels to you. Our 19 ft. is about as perfect as it could be for us. Good luck as you figure this all out!

Linda
Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Isn't that climb over your partner part of the fun?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #18

Jim, I guess I'd want your partner's take on that!

Linda, that is what we're going to do. We'll see a 19' and then we can compare it to the 17' we have already seen. (Thank you, Eric.) Two 17's and a 19'? You are definitely an expert.

I like the double axle but I wonder if the 19' will look really big when we have never towed. It would still be about the smallest thing in a campground. Almost everywhere we go, the place is full of very large fifth wheels and other large campers. (That could certainly make it all the worse if you can't get your little Escape into its place!!) I only remember one campground where there wasn't a thing as big as a 19', except the hosts with a 21' AS in their much bigger space.

On the memory foam, I think I once slept in a memory foam bed and didn't like it. Everyone seems to use memory foam in their Escapes. Maybe there is memory foam and there is memory foam.

I know there are places out west that can only take small trailers, smaller than 19', for instance. So that is in the back of my mind, too.

I don't know if the sleeping situation will dictate the decision but we may know when we see the 19'. Really looking forward to that.

Cathy
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Cathy, if you come to the Escape Rally next year you can ask her.

I have yet to see a campsite that would not fit the 19, I don't imagine there would be very many too small for it. While it is a bit bigger than the 17, it is still smaller than 95% of the RV's on the road. Even most tent trailers opened up are at least as long as

I have tried memory foam and did not like it much either. I think it would be great if you never moved much in your sleep, but I turn quite a few times in the night.

We just use the stock mattress that came with it, and quite like it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 Chinook Concourse (Molded fiberglass!)

Cathy, we agree with Jim. We have not had any issues fitting our 19ft. in any campsite (we are in SW Washington and have traveled all three west coast states). It is still considered a "small" trailer by normal standards.
Our 19ft. definitely seems like a larger trailer in comparison to our previous 17ft. Escape. However, it is still quite narrow (we previously have towed Bigfoot trailers with 8 ft. width and they were quite large in comparison) and extra tow mirrors are not necessary with our tow vehicle (a 2007 4-Runner, V8). It tows like a dream and according to Pete, it is much easier to back up than our past single axle trailers.
Another thing I didn't mention before is the added storage space with a 19ft. model. We have the entire space under the queen bed, in addition to deeper upper cabinets than in the 17ft. model.
Again, it is all a matter of personal preference and needs. No matter which model of Escape you choose, and they all have their unique features, you can't go wrong!
Linda