17B vs 19 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #161

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Greetings John, from a fellow former USAF Air Traffic Controller. Radar as well!
Romeo Kilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Robert, Radar contact!
I'm sure we have met at Bluebonnet, we will have to go over our past careers next time we're there. I remember seeing "Past Tents" before and pointing it out to Marilyn.
I guess our next Bluebonnet will be in a 19' Escape instead of our 16' Scamp.

Hotel Yankee

Retired FAA Controller
SDM - Brown Tower, San Diego, CA
O40 - Ontario Approach, Ontario, CA
SCT Empire Area - SoCal Approach, San Diego, CA
CLE - Cleveland Tower / Approach, Cleveland, OH
ZOB Area 1 - Cleveland Center, Oberlin, OH
ZOB Area 8 - Cleveland Center, Oberlin, OH
ZOB Area 7 - Cleveland Center, Oberlin, OH
ZOB Airspace and Proceedure, Cleveland Center, Oberlin, OH
Retired NATCA Activist!!!

TT
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #162

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I'm in the middle of the 17B vs 19 decision now myself. It sounds like you had decided on the 17B but your signature shows a 19? What changed your mind, and is the wife happy?
I was originally considering a Casita. What brought me to Escape in the first place was the dual axle of the Escape 19. Dual axle trailers tow so much better, IMO. On freeways they are much less prone to sway. On forest roads, they ride over road imperfections better. A single axle trailer the tire will drop into every pothole, where with a dual axle the second axle will tend to carry the trailer as it moves over the pothole. This means much less side to side motion of the trailer as you go down poorly maintained roads.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #163

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I was originally considering a Casita. What brought me to Escape in the first place was the dual axle of the Escape 19. Dual axle trailers tow so much better, IMO. On freeways they are much less prone to sway. On forest roads, they ride over road imperfections better. A single axle trailer the tire will drop into every pothole, where with a dual axle the second axle will tend to carry the trailer as it moves over the pothole. This means much less side to side motion of the trailer as you go down poorly maintained roads.
I like having a single axle on our Scamp, and at first was thinking dual axles would just double the chances of getting a flat, or bearing problem, and double the cost of tire replacement and increase the cost of passing through toll booths.
After thinking about it, I also realized that dual axles also lessen the load on each tire and bearing, and I don't really travel through too many tolls except when I travel to the NE or FL. I've always had single axles so tandem axles will be a first for me. I'll finally be able to take advantage of those tire sales that say "buy three, get one free".
I noticed your career path, I'm one of the lucky ones that managed to retire from both the USAF (24 years tower and RADAR) and the FAA (14 years TERPS OKC and ATL)
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #164

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
To confirm your choice of a 19' with a four-person dinette, I offer . . .
Well that looks quite cozy!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #165

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We also looked at both the 17 and 19, and liked the 17 because it was more like our beloved Casita. Unfortunately, it was too short for me to clear the A/C while standing by the stove (or I was too tall!). Anyway, we went with the 19 and love it. Welcome, and many happy travels.
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote