17B vs 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
My preference would be the safety issue with two axles of the 19’ over the single axle of the 17’.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
When we saw the bigger bed and dinette, one of us was on to the 19'. Double axle was important also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, the downside of tandem axles is that you don't know that you've had a blowout and the remnants of the tire rip the wheel well to shreds ( on stickies, anyway ).
I've not had a flat on my 17B in nine years.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #24

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, the downside of tandem axles is that you don't know that you've had a blowout and the remnants of the tire rip the wheel well to shreds ( on stickies, anyway ).
I'd know, probably before it happened.
Tire monitors are good to have.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We chose a 19

For us, it was:
Full Size queen bed
4 person dinette
A shower I could stand up in

There are other plus and minus, but these 3 items made the decision for us. We don't often have 4 people in the dinette, but the extra room is really useful.

With the 4 tires, we got a tire monitor and I don't worry about knowing there is a flat or a pending flat. We did have a blowout with our prior trailer, a single axle 16 foot vintage, and the assurance of the dual axles is worth it to us, too.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hello Everyone and a Merry Christmas to All,

I have enjoyed this discussion .... especially feeling everyone's passion for the choices that they have made .... without anyone being flamed. Thank you! There have been many valid choices offered for the variations of out trailers. No rights - no wrongs.

Here are some thoughts on my own choice process ... perhaps this can help someone somehow:

1st question: I wanted a trailer that I could afford. I want to own it for sometime and since I'm a little beyond retirement years but have not taken the road frequently traveled... I wanted an tow vehicle and trailer that I can afford as my presumed income diminishes as retirement mode takes over. I looked at the 19's, 17's and even 15's. The 17's were looking very good in this department. A bit smaller and lighter = smaller, lighter tow vehicle (hopefully more economical).

Question #2:
I wanted a full size bed ... full time made up and ready. I want to be able to pull over and collapse into bed for a nap ... especially while waiting for rush hour traffic to get over itself.

I also wanted a full time table for many activities - cooking, reading, eating, fixing etc. Putting up the table nightly for a bed seemed too cumbersome. Full time 4 person table (with options) was
a want, full time bed was a want. The 19 was looking pretty good ....

Queston #3:
But Wait! I then discovered the 17A. It has a full time bed forward, a full time table aft, adequate cooking surface - barely, but then in fine weather I'm cooking outside. Folding table solves the issue of wanting more cooking / prep surface counter space area. The 17A doesn't have a bathroom... mmmm that's OK .... neither have my liveabord boats ... maybe alternative "bathrooms" can be found. I knew so from living on board boats for much of my adult life. I also learned that we all need our privacy ... when living in small spaces, you bend over backwards to help your guests meet their privacy needs ... after all you'll want your privacy next. Its not hard to learn to be respectful.

When trying to make my trailer choice, I was lucky enough to be living close enough to ETI to make the drive and get to walk through others trailers. I loved the 21 but knew it would be too much - cost, tow vehicle and too much continuous wallet.

The 19 was very attractive but for me, an upper end.

The 17B - I didn't like the layout - personal preference.

The 17A - Well Wow! Had as much room as a 19 inside - man those bathrooms take up a lot of space. Table, bed - yes. How much time does it take to do your business anyway. To alot that much space, it would have to be a room that I spend hours a day. Mmmm no ...

I have found that the 17A meets my needs very well. Its, in my opinion, a very good design.

Tom
Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I didn't have to pee, I'd have a 17A.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since going from single axle units (4 SOB trailers) to tandem axle units (3 of which are Escapes) I have noticed any sway issue has been minimized as well as the dreaded tractor trailer passing you on the left and suck you over into their lane issue.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
They r both great trailers. Pro’s and con’s as with any rv. I decided on a 19, then thought about a 17, then thought about those rainy days when one may spend considerable time inside. With the 19; it’s not just the bigger bed, but that it is surrounded by windows, which is particularly enjoyable. For me, the 17 was less, but for u might work well. I’m very pleased with my 19. Good luck.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
17B vs 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

It’s all a matter of preference, and I feel safer on four tires.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My preference would be the safety issue with two axles of the 19’ over the single axle of the 17’.

Fred M.
Me too.....

That was one of the many many, many reasons we upgraded from the single axle Casita......

A veteran travel trailer person told me "a blow out on a single axle can be a catastrophic event where a blowout on a double axle is generally an inconvenience. "

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It’s all a matter of preference, and I feel safer on four tires.

Fred M.
Hi: Red Dog... A blowout usually means you need to be "Retired". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Thanks for everyone's input .Lots of good info for us to think about.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
We (well, me, wife will probably disagree) are considering either a 17A with a port a potti for middle of the night wee requirements, or a 19. The 19 really ups the bill though.
Never towed a dual axle. Previous and current camper were/are pop ups, and my work trailer is a 5x10 v nose Lightning. I hope for the price jump it makes a big difference.
Its the stuck inside for 3 days of rain that kind of makes the 19 look a lot better. As well as more storage, although I'd like to learn to bring less stuff. A 3 day weekend trip takes almost as much as a one week trip :/
However, not being able to have a fully extended awning in rain on trailers costing 25-40k is a big draw back on the Escapes. (few people doing the manual awning, and not sure if its even offered anymore) And the placement of the door on the 17 eats up some prime under awning space.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Everybody has a different view of things...my priority for the awning is to keep the door area dry and mud splash free, thus a door in the middle is prime. However that would not make me order a 17 over a 19. It is all about things you can’t change, like in your mind the door location...ours was the bed width. Storage you can always add on the front, rear or in a future new tow vehicle.
Good luck.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
...the placement of the door on the 17 eats up some prime under awning space.
I'm trying to wrap my head around that. The awning belongs over the entry door. And that space wouldn't be "eaten up" by the door in just the 17, but all models. Where else would you put it? Driver's side where your hookups are? If you agree that the awning belongs on the passenger side (like pretty much all trailers with awnings), then where would you propose to relocate the entry door? There's a bed/dinette on one end, and a dinette on the other.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around that. The awning belongs over the entry door. And that space wouldn't be "eaten up" by the door in just the 17,
Maybe they meant that, with the door more in the center of the covered area, coming and going from the trailer and the arc of the door had more effect on where you could put tables and chairs etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 19 with tandem axles tows nicer than the single axle plus there is that element of safety with the 2 sets of tires. As fas as space, once you outfit your unit there is little need to pack for a trip. We leave clothes and other items year round in the Escape, other than perishables or additional weather clothes, we are ready to go, fill up and leave.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
We (well, me, wife will probably disagree) are considering either a 17A with a port a potti for middle of the night wee requirements, or a 19. The 19 really ups the bill though.
Never towed a dual axle. Previous and current camper were/are pop ups, and my work trailer is a 5x10 v nose Lightning. I hope for the price jump it makes a big difference.
Its the stuck inside for 3 days of rain that kind of makes the 19 look a lot better. As well as more storage, although I'd like to learn to bring less stuff. A 3 day weekend trip takes almost as much as a one week trip :/
However, not being able to have a fully extended awning in rain on trailers costing 25-40k is a big draw back on the Escapes. (few people doing the manual awning, and not sure if its even offered anymore) And the placement of the door on the 17 eats up some prime under awning space.
I did not realize you could not have a fully extended awning. Do you mean they can not tilt down or they don't extend out as much?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:
The issue with extending an awning in the rain does not apply just to Escapes, but to most awning of this and similar design. The Eccape awning can be used in the rain just not at its full extended length, but one can still sit out side. It is designed so that as it retracts there is more support under the middle of the awning. Not that much of a problem as I’ve used it that way on a number of occasions.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote