17B vs 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To me, the positives of the power awning out weigh the negatives.....
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around that. The awning belongs over the entry door. And that space wouldn't be "eaten up" by the door in just the 17, but all models. Where else would you put it? Driver's side where your hookups are? If you agree that the awning belongs on the passenger side (like pretty much all trailers with awnings), then where would you propose to relocate the entry door? There's a bed/dinette on one end, and a dinette on the other.
It is the placement of the door centered under the awning. On the 19 it is off to one side more, leaving more space for table/chairs.
In out tent trailer the door is under the very edge, due to the layout, leaving a large area under awning useable.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
The issue with extending an awning in the rain does not apply just to Escapes, but to most awning of this and similar design. The Eccape awning can be used in the rain just not at its full extended length, but one can still sit out side. It is designed so that as it retracts there is more support under the middle of the awning. Not that much of a problem as I’ve used it that way on a number of occasions.
On my shitty tent trailer the awning has legs going to the ground and we can use it fully extended in the rain.
I understand in heavy wind or maybe a torrential downpour, it should be closed.
But a weekend full of light to medium rain we use the awning with no issues. We cook, sit/read, relax under the awning. It adds space to a small camper. The is a big deal to us.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
We cook, sit/read, relax under the awning. It adds space to a small camper. The is a big deal to us.
This has always been us in the past too, and one of the biggest things to get past with our 2017 Escape was the use of the awning in the rain. I decided that complaining would not change anything with what I have, so we are adopting a different approaches. I bought a good quality stand alone shelter to cover the picnic table which can be used away from the trailer if needed too. As well, I am still considering making a fabric support that will allow the awning to be fully open in the rain without the fabric sagging.

I love everything else about the awning, the auto-retract, the sleek look, and the remote control. There is no way I would ever give up my Escape just because of the one weakness of the awning.

There always seems to be compromises with many aspects of our trailer, it is just a matter of figuring out how to best make them work for our own individual needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As well, I am still considering making a fabric support that will allow the awning to be fully open in the rain without the fabric sagging.
This is what the updated Owner's Manual says about the awning:
Rain-Shed Feature
In some cases, retracting the awning approximately 24” from its full extension will allow rain to run off the awning. It is not recommended to leave the awning unattended in the rain. If you cannot achieve a position where rain can run off the awning, you may need to use a prop pole to create a tent effect in the center of the awning.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is what the updated Owner's Manual says about the awning:
Rain-Shed Feature
In some cases, retracting the awning approximately 24” from its full extension will allow rain to run off the awning. It is not recommended to leave the awning unattended in the rain. If you cannot achieve a position where rain can run off the awning, you may need to use a prop pole to create a tent effect in the center of the awning.
Like this?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Like this?

Yup....and I see it is working well.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #48

Something like this with a tennis ball stabbed onto the end is likely all one would need...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Something like this with a tennis ball stabbed onto the end is likely all one would need...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Instead of a tennis ball...drill a hole in one side of an ABS or PVC pipe and spread the load by 3 or 4 feet. When not in use the pipe can slide over the pole you use. Some use a painters telescoping pole for the upright.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #50

Quote:
This has always been us in the past too, and one of the biggest things to get past with our 2017 Escape was the use of the awning in the rain. I decided that complaining would not change anything with what I have, so we are adopting a different approaches. I bought a good quality stand alone shelter to cover the picnic table which can be used away from the trailer if needed too. As well, I am still considering making a fabric support that will allow the awning to be fully open in the rain without the fabric sagging.

I love everything else about the awning, the auto-retract, the sleek look, and the remote control. There is no way I would ever give up my Escape just because of the one weakness of the awning.

There always seems to be compromises with many aspects of our trailer, it is just a matter of figuring out how to best make them work for our own individual needs.
Agreed, this is an option, however i can buy a much cheaper small trailer and a stand alone kitchen tent/gazebo, or I can forgo trailering entirely and buy some good quality tents for tens of thousands less than an Escape, and bust out all of our tenting camping gear.
My point is, if my elkhart indiana built shitty OSB and caulk garbage pop up camper awning that has an MSRP of $500 can handle a weekend of rain, the awning on a 35K CAD trailer can do the same, FULLY EXTENDED
I realize I am up the creek in terms of choice in a camping trailer that is built to last more than 7-8 years tops without developing some critical structural failing water leak, and I cant be too choosey while not being a millionaire, but an awning is a big deal on sub 20 ft campers costing as much as Escapes do.

I realize this site is full of Fan Boys (capitalization intended), and yes, Escape is doing a top notch job in building a quality camper for a reasonable price, while offering more than a modicum of customization. But accepting some of these short comings as fact is ridiculous
Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you don't like Escapes, don't buy one. There's no need to insult satisfied owners.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you don't like Escapes, don't buy one. There's no need to insult satisfied owners.
Robert, I happen to be staying tonight in "Loserpeg", want me to go visit Wunfiddy and straighten him out?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Robert, I happen to be staying tonight in "Loserpeg", want me to go visit Wunfiddy and straighten him out?

Adrian
Buy him a beer.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post

Adrian
Come on down. PM me and I'll give you my address.

Case in point, people are offended at any criticism even remotely pointed towards escape, after mentioning that they are one of few builders attempting to make a decent product.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:

Case in point, people are offended at any criticism even remotely pointed towards escape, after mentioning that they are one of few builders attempting to make a decent product.
Nonsense. Criticize something on an Escape all you want. I've done my share. My comment had to do with the term "fan boy". A fan boy is an extremist, and the term also has the inference that the person in question is mistaken and unreasonable in their loyalty. I don't see that here. I see enthusiastic Escape owners. What a shock to find such on a forum dedicated to Escape trailers.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:

Love to, but heading to the airport in a few minutes to pick up my wife. You know I just suggested straightening you out in jest. You must understand we Escape owners are rather enamoured with our trailers. We should get together sometime anyway, like to see your particleboard and glue trailer you sometimes refer to.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
"Instead of a tennis ball...drill a hole in one side of an ABS or PVC pipe and spread the load by 3 or 4 feet. When not in use the pipe can slide over the pole you use. Some use a painters telescoping pole for the upright."

Easy to add a sliced pool noodle or pipe insulation to the horizontal pvc pipe--even less pressure. I think I will do this! I have a set of adjustable awning supports that I made w/ 2 different diameters of pvc, one inside the other, and a few holes drilled through the larger one at intervals. I used a hitch pin type clip to choose the height. It had a shorter pvc "foot" on a T at the ground.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It's ironic that the inexpensive awning works better at shedding rain when 100% deployed, mean while the Palomino interior is leaking. But the Escape automatic awning works at 50% deployed, and the interior is leak free!!! Hmmm, which would be your choice?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
As a previous owner of a 2009 Palomino Y-4124 (sold about a month ago) and a completely ecstatic future owner of an Escape 21', all I can say is "to each their own". just getting the bag awning deployed and stowed was such a hassle that we never used it, and instead brought an easy-up to use every time. Of course being in the desert SW, most of our rainstorms are accompanied by lightning and high winds, so neither you or the awning want to be outside in those cases. try rolling up the awning into the bag while the camper is set up during a monsoon event... Especially if you're under 6' tall. Now the sun is another story all together. I absolutely cannot wait to have a sun shade at the push of a button! For this Fan Boy, the Escape awning is a 100% improvement over the garbage that hung off the side of my old pop up.
Mpresco2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:

I’m not offended at all. Ur tone and language on several posts speak for themselves.

Yes, I’m a fan. Why? Because I picked up my 19 in Chilliwack last summer, then went on the road for months, including Alaska and never had a problem. So yea, I’m impressed with my Escape. Did I shorten my awning when I encountered heavy rain? Yes I did. Big deal.
It’s unfortunate when one’s finances doesn’t allow them to comfortable afford something they would perhaps like to own-especially an RV.

Best wishes in traveling, getting outside and enjoying the great outdoors.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote