17B vs 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
17B vs 19

As some of you know I have a 19 on order. I starting to think 17B would meet my needs. I was thinking 19 for the bigger bed, but our casita had a 54" bed that was fine for us.so maybe if we could get by with a 52" in the 17. I really like the the advantages that the 17 has over the 19

1. cost
2.single axle (tolls and tires and cost of ownership)
3.weight and MPG 550lbs lighter
4.size outside as we use some remote campsite
5. Batteries on rear bumper( frees up the front storage box)

If i did switch to 17B i think i get the large fridge witch i believe takes some space out of the walk way

my tow rig is 2013 Tacoma witch should tow the 17 with ease

I thought i put it out there and see what members thought . I know some have had both.

I don't want to end up in a 17b and wishing I went 19.I guess thats my biggest fear I know that the natural progressing is to go larger .I believe when most people up grade they go larger. I am Not sure I need the extra room,but I don't want to be cramped. Really my only RV experience has been pop ups and casitas . we have enjoyed the casita . we love how it tows and the large bath . I guess the only bad thing is sometimes wish we had a little more room.

I working with ETI to find a local 17B 2nd generation to look at ,but it looks like it might be a few states away. I did look at a first generation one a few years back. we where not that serious then and I do remember walking away saying there smaller than I thought. We got into a 19 and liked the size inside,seemed nice. of course it was a referral so we did not feel comfortable lying in the bed.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Hey NYHB,
Only you and significant other could make that decision.
We went from a 17b to the 19 and for me and my spouse we would not consider going back to a 17b. The 17b is a nice trailer, but the advantages to the 19 are too numerous to mention without much gain in size, weight, or cost.
We did a similar thing when we bought our house almost 20yrs ago. We could have a smaller model with all the goodies, or the larger model we really liked more stripped down, we chose the loaded smaller model and have always regretted not getting the other house. Oh well, we “still love the one we’re with.”
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Looking for 15b
I think if you were happy with the size of your Casita 17 you will be happy with the Escape 17 as they are a similar size with the exception of the smaller bathroom in the Escape but it has more useable storage and a bit wider aisle. I can only speak to the first gen and I miss the bigger bed in the Casita.
We have had both and would be happy with either but if you found the Casita cramped I think you will be unhappy with the 17.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Hey NYHB,
Only you and significant other could make that decision.
We went from a 17b to the 19 and for me and my spouse we would not consider going back to a 17b. The 17b is a nice trailer, but the advantages to the 19 are too numerous to mention without much gain in size, weight, or cost.
We did a similar thing when we bought our house almost 20yrs ago. We could have a smaller model with all the goodies, or the larger model we really liked more stripped down, we chose the loaded smaller model and have always regretted not getting the other house. Oh well, we “still love the one we’re with.”
When younger would of liked a bigger house especially with kids ,now this house is perfect and don't need to downsize . This is enough to maintain . PT
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
As some of you know I have a 19 on order. I starting to think 17B would meet my needs. I was thinking 19 for the bigger bed, but our casita had a 54" bed that was fine for us.so maybe if we could get by with a 52" in the 17. I really like the the advantages that the 17 has over the 19

1. cost
2.single axle (tolls and tires and cost of ownership)
3.weight and MPG 550lbs lighter
4.size outside as we use some remote campsite
5. Batteries on rear bumper( frees up the front storage box)

If i did switch to 17B i think i get the large fridge witch i believe takes some space out of the walk way

my tow rig is 2013 Tacoma witch should tow the 17 with ease

I thought i put it out there and see what members thought . I know some have had both.

I don't want to end up in a 17b and wishing I went 19.I guess thats my biggest fear I know that the natural progressing is to go larger .I believe when most people up grade they go larger. I am Not sure I need the extra room,but I don't want to be cramped. Really my only RV experience has been pop ups and casitas . we have enjoyed the casita . we love how it tows and the large bath . I guess the only bad thing is sometimes wish we had a little more room.

I working with ETI to find a local 17B 2nd generation to look at ,but it looks like it might be a few states away. I did look at a first generation one a few years back. we where not that serious then and I do remember walking away saying there smaller than I thought. We got into a 19 and liked the size inside,seemed nice. of course it was a referral so we did not feel comfortable lying in the bed.
Michael,
Some thoughts:
We are happy with our 17A. For 2 of us, who are mostly outside during the day, it is fine space-wise. If we had picked the 17B, with bath, we very well might have picked the 19 instead.
We frequently use tiny forest service campgrounds (easy-peasy with the 17), but I believe a 19 would be quite do-able in those places.
In your post, the phrases "bigger bed", "wish we had a little more room", and "size inside seemed nice" stuck out to me as important for you. I've never heard someone say "we could do with a little less room"!

Costs more -Yes; weighs more--Yes;
MPG: I was told by my old boss, an experienced RV'er, that RV'ing decisions on what, where, and how far, etc. should not be based on mpg, because then you wouldn't go anywhere.
Tires: occasional expense (we're at 12k miles, in 2+ years; still going strong); Tolls--well, yeah, whenever. You don't live on an island, so how many tolls are there. (I looked up Naples-beautiful area. My grandparents had a home on Waneta Lake).

Our first Escape viewing was PatandLinda's 19. Nice kitchen counter space. That could be important, as well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a 2013 17ft Casita SD and have traveled all across the US
( Approx 25,000 miles) We like the Casita and it has worked well for us but it is a little too cramped. We would like to get a slightly larger trailer but is the leap from 17' to 19 ' enough to accomplish that goal ?
The cost difference between a 19' & the 21' isn't really that much .
We went from a 16 ft Scamp to a 17 ft Casita but there wasn't enough of a gain for us.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As one who travels solo, and went from a 17B to a 21, I have mixed opinions. It was easier to find a campsite for the 17, easier to tow with my Tacoma, but while it had plenty of room for me, I wanted a couple of things it didn't allow due to space. An oven, a built in microwave, a full time 4 person dinette, and lots of storage/counter space. Since I didn't need the queen bed, a reversed 19 was my first consideration, but it didn't quite meet the counter space/storage needs after the oven, microwave & large refrigerator, so I went with the 21.

I love the space, it tows like a dream (although a bit more truck would be nice) and having a shower that I can actually enjoy using is great!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy has a 19' and I have a 17'.
We often camp together and share meals or play cards.
We always end up in his trailer with the four-person dinette.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
For me and my dog it came down to our camping style. Both the 17B and 19 are great campers and have their advantages. For me, the 17B fit the bill. I'm a back country guy meaning forest service roads, 4x4 roads, etc. The departure angle of the truck/trailer was a big deal for me given back roads. Hate to drag or get hung up. Also, turning around in a reasonable space was a big consideration. Not that a 19ft couldn't do the same roads, areas, etc. However, for me that extra two feet just more than I needed. That's not to say I won't upgrade at some point. The 19ft is really nice. Not sure what I'd do with all that room though......
Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
17B or 19

I had a 17B for a couple of years and moved up to the 19. I love the 19 and wouldn't go back. Permanent bed is really nice. Easier to back up. Easily fits in most campsites a 17B would go in. I towed both with an FJ Cruiser so your Tacoma will do fine with both. Only drawback of 19 is you will need a WDH whereas you can get away without one with the 17B.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's true that the right answer depends on YOUR camping needs. I'm not sure what value my thoughts would be, but here goes nothing: We originally ordered a 17 before we spent time in each trailer. We changed it at the last minute to a 19, and Escape was good enough to let us keep our original delivery date because of the change. I would definitely get the 19 if your tow can handle it. The difference in interior space is pretty dramatic. Spend a few minutes in either trailer and you'll know what I mean. I would not give up the permanent queen bed. No way. That is not to say the 17 isn't a fine choice, because it is.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
17B vs 19

what rybryan4 said
Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My buddy has a 19' and I have a 17'.
We often camp together and share meals or play cards.
We always end up in his trailer with the four-person dinette.
I guess that could be a good thing...or a bad thing.
Also is the shower roof a little lower in the 17...I thought I read that somewhere?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Also is the shower roof a little lower in the 17...I thought I read that somewhere?
The bathroom ceiling height is lower on the 17B, but because the interior height of the trailer is 3" less than a 19. You wouldn't think 3" is alot, but every inch counts when you're talking a small trailer.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had a 17b I loved it but i like more room so i moved up to a 5.0. If i was choosing between a 17 and a 19 I would go with the 19 because I like the full time bed and the big table but i think the 17 is very nice.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The bathroom ceiling height is lower on the 17B, but because the interior height of the trailer is 3" less than a 19. You wouldn't think 3" is alot, but every inch counts when you're talking a small trailer.
This is a very important point. The 19 isn't just a 2 foot longer trailer when comparing to a 17. It is also taller and wider. One should not think of length, but volume. My father had a 16' Scamp and the Escape 19 in comparison is like a whole new world. The 19's interior height at 6'5" and the bath at 6' is nice for taller folks. If one is wishing their Casita had a little more room then my bets are on a 19 being perfect.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If one is wishing their Casita had a little more room then my bets are on a 19 being perfect.
True story Dave: at the Bluebonnet Rally one year, two Casita owners who toured my 19 bought an Escape 19. The next year, another one.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
We were some of the few people to change our order from a 19 to a 17B. No regrets for us, but it really depends on your type of use. If there are just 2 of you, then you can leave the dinette set up as a bed an use the front smaller dinette. We opted for extending the front driver-side bench and omitting the wardrobe to make that area more accessible.

We are more of the "overlanding" type of traveller, preferring to move frequently and get into more remote places where it isn't practical to have a large trailer. No, we don't go off-road other than graded forest service roads, but due to the small size I don't have to plan ahead very much and can have the confidence to fit just about anywhere.

We are also fairly infrequent campers. We take about 6 trips a year. If we were going to spend many weeks per year on the road, I would definitely think about getting something like the 5.0 and would plan my trips more, with more extended stays in one spot.

There are a lot of well-known advantages to towing a smaller trailer, but to make it work you have to be happy living in a very small space. For us we have consistently downsized with each new RV so we were prepared for the small size.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
From 19 to 17B

'Upgraded' from a 19 to a 17, more by circumstance than design. After we sold the 19, a 17B popped up for sale, and I couldn't resist. For us, the 17 works fine. We have to make up the bed each night instead of having it set up all the time, but we've got a system, works easily.
There are benefits to both trailers, you can't go wrong either way. I like towing the smaller trailer, although the 19 towed just fine too, mpg suffered a bit, but not enough difference between the two, really.

I put a lift kit on the 19, so it was taller, had even more windage and I never really needed the lift. The limiting factor for backroads wasn't the clearance, it was intolerance to washboard roads and potholes. The appliances and fixtures just are not designed for it.

The interior of the 19 is better, I think, but the 17 is totally adequate for our use. Weight and cost advantage goes to the 17. Interior space, of course, favors the 19. I liked dual axles for tracking and backup in the event one tire goes flat. The single axle is more manuverable, but not so much it'd be a big factor in the choice.
Either way, you'll be thriled with your new Escape, I expect.
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Small can be really nice. I really enjoy travelling with the 15B, especially when by myself or as a couple. However, the 19 is great when you want or need a little more room, and the permanent bed is also a bonus. Isn't it great how deciding on the right Escape for your needs can be a difficult choice!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote