19 Build Sheet: Bathroom Sink and Full Wrap Cushions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
19 Build Sheet: Bathroom Sink and Full Wrap Cushions

All, we're hammering out the final details on the build sheet for our 19. We have a couple of questions that we hope you can help us with:

Bathroom Sink: We are thinking about having the bathroom sink removed from the build, so that we'll have a bit more space in there. I know I've seen pictures on the forum of this being done by others, but now I can't find them. Joldie sent me a picture (see attached). If we go this route, then we can't have a drawer under the wardrobe because I suppose that the water lines will now run on the back wall, instead of the driver side wall. Personally, I could go either way. Do any of you have experience with or input regarding this modification? Is it working for you?

Full wrap cushions: We're going to use a custom fabric (TBD). If we do a full wrap, I think this will enable us to flip the cushions if they get worn or damaged. If I remember the shape correctly, we'd have to flip from one side to the other of the trailer to make that work. We're also thinking that being able to flip them will help to manage condensation underneath them. Are we right about this? Obviously, it will be more expensive to do the full wrap because we'd be paying for the extra fabric, but if it's more practical in the long run, then perhaps it's worth it. Setting aside the cost, would you recommend full wrap?

Thank you! We feel so lucky to have this community as a resource.
Attached Thumbnails
19' Bathroom with NO sink Custom Showerhead.jpg  
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On the bath sink, what are you going to do with the space gained? Also, the sink is a handy balance assist device. We don't use ours for washing, but helps getting on an off the throne.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
iirc, if you don't get full wrap fabric, the remaining half is some kind of vinyl. You live in a wet climate, so that vinyl would be a negative for me in terms of condensation against the plywood. Exception, some people like vinyl for kids in wet bathing suits and/or pets.

The cushions have one end rounded for the corner placement, so yes, you'd have to switch driver side to passenger side if you flip them .

edited to add you may want to check out fabric.com Their website is easy to navigate for color choice. I found something I liked a lot, and it was so inexpensive ( 9$ a yard if ordering 4 or more yards) that i stockpiled enough to recover the 8 cushions-- i have two complete dinettes in my 17a-- for a very reasonable amt. they shipped what was needed to eti and there was a customs charge of @30 which was added to my bill at eti, and the other portion to me.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
Ours is 2017 model, they didn't say we couldn't have the drawer. We have the sink removed (just like the picture you posted) and have the drawer.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have the full wrap and like it.
The picture shows where the horizontal front seam runs along the bottom for when the wife and I are alone. (Can’t see it)
With the grand child we flip the seats and that seam is now along the top edge. OK for the grand child but I would not want the seam there on a regular basis.
Attached Thumbnails
92E56B89-A230-4808-BF9B-8EB972CF0DDF.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
All, we're hammering out the final details on the build sheet for our 19. We have a couple of questions that we hope you can help us with:

Bathroom Sink: We are thinking about having the bathroom sink removed from the build, so that we'll have a bit more space in there. I know I've seen pictures on the forum of this being done by others, but now I can't find them. Joldie sent me a picture (see attached). If we go this route, then we can't have a drawer under the wardrobe because I suppose that the water lines will now run on the back wall, instead of the driver side wall. Personally, I could go either way. Do any of you have experience with or input regarding this modification? Is it working for you?

Full wrap cushions: We're going to use a custom fabric (TBD). If we do a full wrap, I think this will enable us to flip the cushions if they get worn or damaged. If I remember the shape correctly, we'd have to flip from one side to the other of the trailer to make that work. We're also thinking that being able to flip them will help to manage condensation underneath them. Are we right about this? Obviously, it will be more expensive to do the full wrap because we'd be paying for the extra fabric, but if it's more practical in the long run, then perhaps it's worth it. Setting aside the cost, would you recommend full wrap?

Thank you! We feel so lucky to have this community as a resource.
Merry, a question about removing the bathroom sink? If one of you is fixing supper and has stuff all over the kitchen area, and the other has greasy dirty hands from doing stiff outside or even just a trip to the bathroom/restroom, where do those hands get washed without upsetting the kitchen user's preparation. We have often thought, there's no way we would want to remove the bathroom sink, its so handy exactly where it is. We even felt that in our old 17, and it has a much smaller bathroom than a 19. So we would never consider getting rid of that sink.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

We keep Wet Wipes in the sink for hand sanitizing.
Attached Thumbnails
bath storage.jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
We opted for no sink to maximize shower space. No regrets but we never had it to miss so I’m not sure how valuable our experience is.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Full wrap? After 80 days in our 19 the cushions are getting crushed. The foam is not the highest quality, there is no layer of rebound on the bottom, and we'd like a taper from front to back.

Solution, forget about custom fabric. Wear out your foam and have custom everything. We have lumbar back support on the seat backs, did not change the foam there. But the seat cushions are undergoing some big changes. Save your money for now.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had planned to eliminate the sink in the bathroom of our 5.0TA as it rarely got used in our 19, but at the last moment decided not to. Once again in hind sight we kinda wished we would have. I sometimes brush my teeth in there, but that is it. Hands get washed in the galley or outside sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Full wrap? After 80 days in our 19 the cushions are getting crushed. The foam is not the highest quality, there is no layer of rebound on the bottom, and we'd like a taper from front to back.

Solution, forget about custom fabric. Wear out your foam and have custom everything. We have lumbar back support on the seat backs, did not change the foam there. But the seat cushions are undergoing some big changes. Save your money for now.
The foam is of a decent quality, the issue is that it just is not firm enough and my sit bones would bottom out. I replaced the foam in just the cushions we sit on with a slightly firmer foam and all is good on the butt comfort end of things now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post

After about 3 years had ours cushions redone with, Fabric we prefer . We left the back cushion foam the same and use a large pool noodle which gives it a slat for your back . It just sits on the back bottom . The bottom cushions were redone and are now 6 in , more comfortable
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Ours is 2017 model, they didn't say we couldn't have the drawer. We have the sink removed (just like the picture you posted) and have the drawer.

Here's a picture of ours
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6324.jpg  
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #13

Foam comes in varying density for different applications. If the dinette seating also serves as a bed, the foam has to be a compromise. It's not an issue of quality.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
The bathroom sink holds our shampoo, soap, scrubby, toothpaste, etc, and sometimes Terry has so much crap in the kitchen sink I've had to use the bathroom sink to wash my hands or brush teeth when it's too cold outside.

Plus, it seems some here eliminate the sink and then put in holders that are just as big.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Here's a picture of ours
Thanks for sharing the picture - and there's the drawer and the shower. Hmmm. I wonder why they won't do the drawer anymore. Maybe it's a clearance issue with the furnace. I'll have to follow up with ETI to learn more. Did you have ETI install the fancy shower head or is that something you did later?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #16
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
a couple points to add:
-you can get lots of suction cup containers to hold soap, shampoo bottles, etc.
-you can also get suction cup rods to hang your towels on to dry them in there
--> we got both of our suction cup holders/towel rods from Ikea for a reasonable price and they have been great, haven't fallen off or anything (you just have to remember the rods are NOT handles for your balance- made that mistake before!)
-we live in the Northwest (trailer spent the rainy winter with a cover on it) and have not had any issues with condensation- we got custom high quality vinyl that's awesome (tried to scratch/rip the sample of fabric with no luck) and the regular vinyl backing that came with; there is a little breather vent in each of the cushions; we set them on end when the trailer is not in use
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Bathroom sink

We eliminated the bathroom sink from our build in our 2017 19' and don't regret it at all. More space in the shower and one can put the soap and shampoo on the ledge. Also, we got them to install an Oxygenics shower head...has great water pressure! What I will be getting rid of in the next little while is the medicine cabinet/mirror. It gets in the way and is very hard to open, so nothing gets stored in there anyway.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
What I will be getting rid of in the next little while is the medicine cabinet/mirror. It gets in the way and is very hard to open, so nothing gets stored in there anyway.
We have no problem using ours at all. We do have to be careful after stopping that nothing tumbles out as if we have no restraining bars like some have put in, but we keep a lot of stuff in there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We wouldn’t give up the sink in our 19 for the tiny amount of open space that would provide. We use the sink all the time - hand washing and tooth brushing and more hand washing.

Regarding the full wrap cushions, if you’re concerned about mold or mildew, I’d stick with the vinyl. It’s pretty resistant to such things. Moreso than the walls or the plywood of the benches. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Regarding the full wrap cushions, if you’re concerned about mold or mildew, I’d stick with the vinyl. It’s pretty resistant to such things. Moreso than the walls or the plywood of the benches. Ask me how I know.
Ugh. I have to ask: How do you know? I sense a cautionary tale.

Tags
cushions, sink, wrap