19' ESCAPE vs. 21' Comparison - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm really thinking about getting the 19 and switching the bed to the front allowing for more separation from the kitchen area and a bigger dining area. I like that a can still haul it with the Highlander. Any pictures of 19s that switched the bed area to the front?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm really thinking about getting the 19 and switching the bed to the front allowing for more separation from the kitchen area and a bigger dining area. I like that a can still haul it with the Highlander. Any pictures of 19s that switched the bed area to the front?

post 34

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...te-7566-4.html
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I looked at the pics - in the post just above - and holy cow that layout looks way more cramped than a 21'

It is my understanding that the 2017 weight gain on the 21' was quite a bit less of a weight gain than the 2017 19' had.

plus it is my understanding that some people here tow a 21' just fine with a Highlander. YMMV.

Plus a 21' isnt that much more than a 19'.... overall... i think.

We are going to tow our 2017 21' with our Acura MDX with factory tow kit + transmission cooler. 5000/500 capacities, with an e2 Fastway WDH. 300 HP. AWD.

I have a tongue scale, and i'll carefully watch that. We also travel light, generally.

just a thought.....
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #24

anyone who did move the bed to the front in the 19 ... how is it working? issues ?
Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #25

I'm hoping to look at trailers when i camp at the fall NOG to help me make this decision not sure why it seems so difficult! 19,21,5.0TA all so nice!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I personally don't see the point in reversing the bed and dinette in the 19. The biggest selling point to us was that the bed was a real queen -- 60 x 80. Reverse it and you lose that, only to gain a slightly deeper dinette.

Having spent many a good night's sleep in that full queen bed, no way I'd give it up for a smaller bed now.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Sitting straight up in bed to read was a big issue to us. Could not sit against a 19' window and read comfortably unless maybe using big pillows which is a possibility. Used to try to sit in the corner to avoid the window.

We had some people in our 21' recently and they are big tall people. They considered the sitting up situation a big consideration that they wanted to look at and thought that issue alone was worth their visit. It is not something that people think about when looking at these trailers. It is important to us and is to some others, so worth mentioning. The most comfortable place in the trailer for lounging to many is the bed.

21' counter space is often mentioned by people and seems to be much more to us. We leave our table at home so more lounge area. We have an outside table with us to have in addition to one usually provided. Yes, I still miss the 19' bed but traded for other space.
For us with more then one pillow anyway ,never a problem reading in bed . Love the bigger bed in the 19. Also if we are using the TV , also comfortable .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I personally don't see the point in reversing the bed and dinette in the 19. The biggest selling point to us was that the bed was a real queen -- 60 x 80. Reverse it and you lose that, only to gain a slightly deeper dinette.

Having spent many a good night's sleep in that full queen bed, no way I'd give it up for a smaller bed now.
I agree. There are some people who have had some unusual situations where that switch was good for them. But you get rid of the biggest selling point for the 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We really like the queen in the 19. The crawl over is no problem, I just get up and get out of the way. The only trouble with lounging on the bed is that for me , lounging becomes sleeping in about 5 minutes. Everyone camps a little differently, clearance for your head, size of the bed, how much you cook inside, need for storage and many other camping components need to be considered. The versitle Escape lineup covers most of the needs, wants and a few luxuries. Think I'll have another Kool aid.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
But you get rid of the biggest selling point for the 19'.
While the bed size is a big factor, they layout is by far a bigger factor, especially for those wanting a bed away from the door.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While the bed size is a big factor, they layout is by far a bigger factor, especially for those wanting a bed away from the door.
Our thoughts too. Don't care for the bed at door opening . Pat
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Obligatory "rear dinette rocks post".

Cause it does.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our thoughts too. Don't care for the bed at door opening . Pat
A lot of people say that. I can only say, having had both, that it may not be quite what you think. If you are the person adjoining the bath on the 21', you are tucked away very nicely. If on the driver's side, you are not, however. For that, we have a curtain and it works great if the other party gets up and opens the door.

On the bed by the door, I am wondering how different the measurements are to the headboard area for a 19' and for a 21', measuring to the closest inside back corner of the bed for each from closest point on the door. I would be interested in those measurements out of curiosity. Of course, have to somehow account for going around the divider on the 19'.

All I can tell you is that, since there are no windows at the front in a 21', when in bed with your back there, that seems very private at night compared to being up against a window --- nothing we considered when getting the 21' but have found. That is a privacy point that is similar to what people think of as being tucked away in the 19'. So there is a difference on that whether night or day.

The new 21' with no curtain though changes that situation especially for the driver's side sleeper.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 AM   #34

Quote:
A lot of people say that. I can only say, having had both, that it may not be quite what you think. If you are the person adjoining the bath on the 21', you are tucked away very nicely. If on the driver's side, you are not, however. For that, we have a curtain and it works great if the other party gets up and opens the door.

On the bed by the door, I am wondering how different the measurements are to the headboard area for a 19' and for a 21', measuring to the closest inside back corner of the bed for each from closest point on the door. I would be interested in those measurements out of curiosity. Of course, have to somehow account for going around the divider on the 19'.

All I can tell you is that, since there are no windows at the front in a 21', when in bed with your back there, that seems very private at night compared to being up against a window --- nothing we considered when getting the 21' but have found. That is a privacy point that is similar to what people think of as being tucked away in the 19'. So there is a difference on that whether night or day.

The new 21' with no curtain though changes that situation especially for the driver's side sleeper.
Just our preference Cathy . Not just Escape's , whenever we walked into a trailer with bed there by door really don't care for that layout . Want bed away from door . It all comes down to what we feel comfortable with . There is no right or wrong way . It is what you like . Pat
Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Just our preference Cathy . Not just Escape's , whenever we walked into a trailer with bed there by door really don't care for that layout . Want bed away from door . It all comes down to what we feel comfortable with . There is no right or wrong way . It is what you like . Pat
Yes, I understand your thinking. It was mine before. Liked our 19' and like our 21'.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Yes, I understand your thinking. It was mine before. Liked our 19' and like our 21'.
Hey Cathy , that is all that counts . Pat
Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Our thinking too. With Lisa sleeping in longer than me all the time, she did not like the idea of being near the door, or having a curtain at all. In the 19, if I stayed inside, I used the light above the bench on the drivers side. The whole bath/fridge wall shielded here from that. Plus, my going in and out did not not affect her as much, either with light noise or especially cold air.
Quote:
This is very true, and almost everyone loves the one they are with.

Other than the bed size and location, if the added weight, size and price (which is not that much) are good by you, the 21 has the best features due to size.

NOW, if Escape had of offered a 21 with the same layout as the 19, or at least one with the bed at the rear, I quite likely would have chosen that over the 5.0.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wonder why no one ordering a 21 has requested a queen size bed for the rear of the trailer and a small dinette be in the front. Or have they?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Likely due to the mould having the fridge vent where it is thus not allowing it to be moved forward any to allow 60" for the queen bed.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #40

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
You could install one of those tension rods over the door area (from bathroom to cabinets). It would need to cover 44". That was one of the things I measured and was thinking about when I looked at the new 2017 21' at ETI.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote