19' ESCAPE vs. 21' Comparison - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruban&Martha View Post
We are seriously considering ordering an Escape to replace our current trailer. I know that Escape allows you to customize the trailer with set options, such as insulation or no insulation. But are you saying that they allow rearranging of the layout within reason? If so, I'm sold.
Definitely would not expect that they would reverse layout on a 21'. Don't see how it is possible without major changes. Think it might have been asked. They have done that in rare cases with a 19' but don't know if they will now.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #62

Trailer: 2012 15A
The "Stripper Pole" is a title attached by some to the vertical metal tube in some/all trailer models that supports the roof to give rigidity to the trailer.
In our 15A, there are no vertical walls along the drivers side. The metal tube keeps the roof from sagging. See attached photos.
In others minds it is a fantasy item I guess!!!

As for changes to the basic trailer layout, yes ETI will do some modifications if they deem them suitable. In our case we had the rear dinette replaced with a fixed queen size width bed, similar to the 19'. To do this we gave up 6" of closet space on the passenger side and 6" of length to the galley on the drivers side. Reace considered our request and said it could be done. I think he also said they had done something similar to another 15A so he felt comfortable with the change request. We love our queen fixed bed.
Hard to say how receptive they will be in the future once they have a bigger assembly line to keep running??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1528r.jpg   IMG_1537r.JPG  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
They do not allow much in the form of altering dimensions of layouts, more repurpousing of them, like changing a dinette to a permanent bed or vise versa.

The talk you are hearing in the last few posts is purely speculative.
I agree. In my comment (quoted below), I should have emphasized the "you"... as in you (the owner of the trailer) can modify your trailer any way you want it after you get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As long as you don't change where stuff is that uses openings in the shell (refrigerator, water heater, furnace), you can re-arrange as desired.
Just to be clear, significant re-configuration is a major project; few people do this, other than with old fixer-uppers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #64

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
The "Stripper Pole" is a title attached by some to the vertical metal tube in some/all trailer models that supports the roof to give rigidity to the trailer.
In our 15A, there are no vertical walls along the drivers side. The metal tube keeps the roof from sagging. See attached photos.
In others minds it is a fantasy item I guess!!!
Hey, what do you know, soon-to-be-mine 15A has one, too. (Didn't even notice it.) I've seen them in Campster or Compacts where someone has removed the kitchen wall as that is needed for roof support. Thanks. I also realized I'll have to put up a "Jack wall" there and at the dinette end (some kind of barrier so my food-driven corgi Jack doesn't walk on the counters.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We love the curtain and use it all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm curious about the need for this curtain in the 21. Are people really hanging around outside the door just to get a glimpse of someone asleep in bed?
We pull our curtain at night, to block the light coming in the door window. (All the other shades also down at night.)

We pull the curtain (sometimes) when the air conditioning is on, if we are going in and out of the trailer a bunch, so we don't have to open/close the door so much. (I don't like using the air conditioner, but we live in Texas...)

We pull the curtain sometimes when our two dogs are in the trailer but we're not (such as when it's raining and they don't want to join us outside under the awning). It settles them to have that visual barrier, but they can still hear us - although I admit that seems counter-intuitive.

FWIW, I did finally this summer make a curtain that matches our upholstery fabric, just to add more of the fabric to our decor. (I am saving the original curtain for our trailer's next owners...)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm curious about the need for this curtain in the 21. Are people really hanging around outside the door just to get a glimpse of someone asleep in bed?
We didn't like the curtain -- it bunched behind the bathroom door and we rarely used it. So Lindy took a piece of the fabric we used for the cushions , and made a small curtain that is just wide enough to cover the cubbies when it is over them, and if we are staying someplace where the light through the door window will bother us (like a Walmart) we move it over to be in front of the door. We never sleep with the door open, and if one of us gets up early and goes outside, he/she closes the door behind them.

our personal preference is that we don't mind the bed by the door, and much prefer the dinette at the rear where we can enjoy the view while dining.

But obviously this is a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
our personal preference is that we don't mind the bed by the door, and much prefer the dinette at the rear where we can enjoy the view while dining.

But obviously this is a matter of personal preference.
Given a choice of front or back dinette, I would prefer rear, just not at the expense of having the bed where I want it. This is somewhat likely because we eat outside so much. As well, I think too often the view out the front is often better than that out the rear. Many times the rear is backed into trees, a fence, etc, whereas the front is usually open to a view of some kind. When the view out the back is good, it is usually great. I have sat in bed before enjoying it in lousy weather.

'tis a good thing we all have differing preferences, eh? Otherwise life would be boring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We rarely ever eat or spend time inside so would never have any interest in a view from the dinette, although we still generally always have one out the side windows in the dinette. Much prefer the rear bed and the view waking up, hanging out in bed and raising the rear shade when it's a special view. The important view for us is on the patio under the awning, because that's where we live.
I also find that there is more campground vehicle noise at the front when people are pulling in late, leaving early, hitching and unhitching or just messing around opening and closing their car doors. So guess we're just rear bed people, but everyone floats differently.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I use those little foam ear plugs to reduce external camping noise.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The important view for us is on the patio under the awning, because that's where we live.
I definitely agree with that. I often orient the trailer on the site to take advantage of the view from under the awning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape 1721
It looks like ETI has updated their website with the new specifications for the 19 and 21. It's interesting the GVWR is less on the 21 than on the 19 (4500 lbs to 5000 lbs).

For those who have received a 2017 19 or 21, how do much higher are your weights than these? I realize options will drive final numbers, but I'm curious how much, especially with hitch weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
It looks like ETI has updated their website with the new specifications for the 19 and 21. It's interesting the GVWR is less on the 21 than on the 19 (4500 lbs to 5000 lbs).

For those who have received a 2017 19 or 21, how do much higher are your weights than these? I realize options will drive final numbers, but I'm curious how much, especially with hitch weight.
I barely understand some of this stuff... how can the GVWR be less on the 21 than on the 19? (4500 lbs to 5000 lbs).

I bet a smart person can explain to me, but i'm baffled.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #73

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:

Looks lie the old tongue and axle weights for the 19 on this chart....they total 2610# not the 2950# listed.
Unfortunately, the website still needs some work, I'd say.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #74

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I barely understand some of this stuff... how can the GVWR be less on the 21 than on the 19? (4500 lbs to 5000 lbs).

I bet a smart person can explain to me, but i'm baffled.

I don't think the numbers for the 21 have been updated....
I'm curious about the delivered weights of the new trailers too.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

I also take these numbers to be old. Even on our paperwork for our 21' last year, the GVWR was higher than that. You will be given the numbers when you receive your paperwork some weeks before your trailer build is done. No telling when they will decide what they are going to use for the website.

Edit: There has been a change for the 19' but not for the 21'. Don't know if that is the final one for the 19'. Need to see your own paperwork.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

I can't help with the new trailers, but if you want a starting point:

With Frederick's permission, I am keeping an Excel spreadsheet version of his "Trailer Weights in the Real World (originally posted at the Fiberglass RV Forum). I'm adding to the list as individuals sent me their information. I prefer getting axle weight, & tongue weight and derive the trailer weight from those figures. I realize that anyone weighing the axle while connected with a WDH will end up incorrect, but there are too many variables to be exact.

The spreadsheet has a filter that lets you choose the brand, size, model, etc and derive averages. You can download a copy here.

There are 8 pre 2017 21's posted so far, with an average weight of 4024 lbs & an average tongue weight of 453 lbs. I'm waiting for the first 2017 21 weights, and if identified by the sender, will identify them on the spreadsheet.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Latest I have heard from Tammy about our 21' is that it will be approximately 100 lbs heavier than the previous model. She said the 21 is changing the least in weight of any of the models. Most of its weigh change is from some extra fiberglass and reinforcing and the new awning, most everything else is the same on the new 21's.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

Rather than trying to understand inconsistencies in these values, I suggest simply ignoring them. Escape seems to be unable to publish correct weight specifications, so there is no value to the numbers which have appeared on the website this year. They know the base dry weights, and use them as the basis for as-equipped weights provided to individual customers during the order process, but they have not published them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Rather than trying to understand inconsistencies in these values, I suggest simply ignoring them. Escape seems to be unable to publish correct weight specifications, so there is no value to the numbers which have appeared on the website this year. They know the base dry weights, and use them as the basis for as-equipped weights provided to individual customers during the order process, but they have not published them.
Agreed. Until there is a published and VERIFIED list of weights, best to ignore. If a couple hundred pounds either way means your tow is out of spec, I'd suggest a new tow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #80

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Agreed. Until there is a published and VERIFIED list of weights, best to ignore. If a couple hundred pounds either way means your tow is out of spec, I'd suggest a new tow.
I'm basically ignoring all those numbers as it will vary from trailer to trailer. My plan is to hitch The Trailer up to our new tow (see info on the left) and take the fully loaded trailer to a weight scale for exact weights. I'm also going to weigh the combo when I have the truck loaded up for a craft show as it's gonna be lots heavier than for going out camping.

I've been reassured multiple times the Tundra can handle all that, but I am wanting to know weights and all that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote