19' ESCAPE vs. 21' Comparison - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
19' ESCAPE vs. 21' Comparison

19' ESCAPE vs. 21' ESCAPE Comparison

Here is a short summary for those many folks who cannot decide between a 19' and a 21' since that is a common problem. Should try to see them in person by contacting owners in your region if you are too far from the factory.

BED
19' queen, sitting at the back of the trailer,
climb-over required for two, or three or four! (Including pets!),
windows at both ends in the way for sitting up reading

21' bed is 54" wide (vs. 60" for the 19') so it is smaller than in the 19',
can scoot down on the bed on driver's side so no climb-over,
bed near the door but passenger side person tucked in corner,
no window in the way if sitting up reading (but may need to omit shelf to do that),
window on one side only (if want more ventilation or light, can add window)

Note: The classic 21' has a curtain to pull over the door. The new 21' has no curtain. With two occupants, that may make a difference to a person sleeping on the driver's side if the other one is up and opening the door.

COUNTER
much more counter space in 21' than 19'

BATH
bath in 21' larger than in 19'

BENCH STORAGE
19' bench storage next to the door which is convenient for getting any items for outside
21' bench storage at far end of trailer which may be inconvenient especially in bad weather

AISLE
More aisle width and walking length in the 21'

TOW VEHICLE
Common loaded weight on new generation 19' expected to be 4100-4200 lbs. with your weight depending upon your loading as to whether higher or lower than that. Escape will specify total weight allowed. Also check your GWVR and GCWR from your vehicle manufacturer.

Common loaded weight on new generation 21' expected to be 4400-4500 lbs. with your weight depending upon your loading as to whether higher or lower than that. Escape will specify total weight allowed. Also check your GVWR and GCWR from your vehicle manufacturer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
For us, the deciding factors were the counter space and the bigger bath. But for anyone undecided, be sure to see them both. And before we compared, we thought it was going to be the 19 and before that, a Casita.

As for a tow vehicle, we needed a new one anyway so that was not a factor. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you can't decide between a 19 and a 21, you need to see both in person. The differences will become readily apparent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After owning both I decided to go back to a 19, because of the newer awning style windows, the stripper pole, the surround view from the rear bed, the larger front dinette with centered window, less weight and smaller foot print for ease in towing.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
BED
19' queen, sitting at the back of the trailer,
climb-over required for two, or three or four! (Including pets!),
windows at both ends in the way for sitting up reading
I never once even considered this an issue. While I did not sit up in bed that much, it was never an issue. when I did. I did use a pillow as a backrest, which I do sitting up in bed at home.

I know the 21 galley is a bit longer, but is it a lot. Anyone know the measurements? With either trailer you have the table handy, and we often used that for prep area. The only disadvantage to that was its lower height.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
After having a 17' Casita with the bed in the back next to the kitchen where I had to climb over my wife every night, I was sold on the 21. Even though the bed is smaller in the 21, I enjoy the freedom from waking the sleeping Tiger. The 21 has so much storage that it's crazy.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Did you (or anyone) point out the dinette is in the front in the 19, and in the back in the 21?

The dinette in the back was an important feature for us, especially when camping in cold or inclement weather (when we don't want to take our meals -or coffee- outside).
Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
And, for those that don't need the queen sized bed, a reversed 19 has the advantage of the dinette in back with a large table & "U" shaped seating.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I never once even considered this an issue. While I did not sit up in bed that much, it was never an issue. when I did. I did use a pillow as a backrest, which I do sitting up in bed at home.

I know the 21 galley is a bit longer, but is it a lot. Anyone know the measurements? With either trailer you have the table handy, and we often used that for prep area. The only disadvantage to that was its lower height.
Sitting straight up in bed to read was a big issue to us. Could not sit against a 19' window and read comfortably unless maybe using big pillows which is a possibility. Used to try to sit in the corner to avoid the window.

We had some people in our 21' recently and they are big tall people. They considered the sitting up situation a big consideration that they wanted to look at and thought that issue alone was worth their visit. It is not something that people think about when looking at these trailers. It is important to us and is to some others, so worth mentioning. The most comfortable place in the trailer for lounging to many is the bed.

21' counter space is often mentioned by people and seems to be much more to us. We leave our table at home so more lounge area. We have an outside table with us to have in addition to one usually provided. Yes, I still miss the 19' bed but traded for other space.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Did you (or anyone) point out the dinette is in the front in the 19, and in the back in the 21?

The dinette in the back was an important feature for us, especially when camping in cold or inclement weather (when we don't want to take our meals -or coffee- outside).
I was going to add that, Mary, but decided that it was kind of obvious. But then it is not necessarily obvious if someone orders sight unseen or has not camped before. Of course, the view has often been cited as being usually better out of the back. Expect few use that as one of their primary reasons for one or the other but it is worth noting. I actually thought that I did not want the back view but now like it. Probably should have added that to the list.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
annnnnd there's the 5.0T/A but only a meanie would throw THAT curveball.

So far we've made our final descion to be ... T@G (no ... that died quickly) Casita (no) Escape 19 (no) Airstream (no .... $$$$$$$) Escape 5.0TA (no) Escape 19 (no) Escape 21 (no) Lance (no) Casita? (no) ... Escape 19 .... I think the 19 is the right package. Oh LOOK a puppy!
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
annnnnd there's the 5.0T/A but only a meanie would throw THAT curveball.

So far we've made our final descion to be ... T@G (no ... that died quickly) Casita (no) Escape 19 (no) Airstream (no .... $$$$$$$) Escape 5.0TA (no) Escape 19 (no) Escape 21 (no) Lance (no) Casita? (no) ... Escape 19 .... I think the 19 is the right package. Oh LOOK a puppy!
Hi: Richard in Georgia... We've lived with THAT curve ball for years... and I've become quite comfortable sitting in the corner, whether "Painted" in there, or "Pointed" in there!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Still a ground weary tenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After owning both I decided to go back to a 19, because of the newer awning style windows, the stripper pole, the surround view from the rear bed, the larger front dinette with centered window, less weight and smaller foot print for ease in towing.
Didn't see stipper pole in the options list! Did I miss something?!!
Eagle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle99 View Post
Didn't see stipper pole in the options list! Did I miss something?!!
It is standard now....
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

Are you saying the back is warmer in the 21 versus the 19? Are not the furnaces located amidships in both models. I do know with the auxiliary electric heater under the dinette it is quite cozy up front.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What's the stripper pole for? My old Scamp 16 had one but I knew it was there to keep the upper cabinets from falling down.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What's the stripper pole for? My old Scamp 16 had one but I knew it was there to keep the upper cabinets from falling down.
Same here, with the new build and heavier awning up there extra support was needed. I really used it a lot in the 21 to exit easier out the door. In my old 19 I installed an extra handle by the door, no longer needed in the new model.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #18

I see Myron's wheels turning now and expect to see a really nice wooden spindle appearing in the near future.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Cathy - thanks for starting this thread. It should be useful for folks and encourage them to find both models to tour, if possible in their areas.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Actually, that Scamp had two stripper poles, one at each end. I replaced the original cabinet supports with chrome shower rod. Easier to wipe finger prints off than wood. With or without the poles, have found my 19 a perfect fit. Oh, sure, a few mods haven't hurt.