19 footer - Microwave question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeppers, a different stroke for every kinda folk.

Most times we find taking the 10-20 minutes twice a day to prepare a meal, not too much time out of the day. I actually find it quite relaxing. A glass of red always helps the mind relax too.

But I'll gladly put a paddle in hand, a MTB under my butt, and walk barefooted in the sand anyday.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find opening a can of beer not all that taxing.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem isn't with the microwave, it's with the owner! Truly, microwaves can be used for more than heat 'n heat, popcorn or defrosting. I use mine at home daily. I also have the appropriate cookware and recipes for it. The stove in my sticks 'n bricks home... I have to dust it off occasionally. I learned from my mother. She had TWO. One in the house and one in the attached garage for cooking fish and broccoli... hahahahahaha.

I wouldn't be without a microwave. Obviously, YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So then, you are ready and willing to go both ways. I like to see open minded people.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #25
Site Team

This is one of the most open minded groups I belong to... WHATEVER works for YOU... works for US
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you buy the micrwave option, find you're not using it for anything but storage, and want to maximize storage space (and reduce weight), it should be very easy to take out. The availability of a matching door is good.

If you don't buy the microwave as a factory option, you can easily add one later; however, if you want it properly mounted (not just a loose appluance bouncing on a shelf), you'll need to find one designed to work with a mounting bezel (like the example shown earlier).

On the basis that everything in a small space should serve as many purposes as possible, I like the idea of a convection-microwave oven.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Agree Jim B & Donna D, the Escape Community is a diverse group and that is beauty of it.
Donna, at Publix or Sweatbay, you pick out shrimp you want & seasoning, they steam it for you and you take "home". Kinda like cooking fish in garage! :-)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
Thanks, Barry! I'll chat with Reace about buying one. Jane
Door ordered. Thanks! Now we'll have the best of both worlds - no microwave for our short trips - 99% of which are dry camping, but I can put the microwave in for long trips if we know we're going to have hook-ups. Consider me one happy camper!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We added the microwave to our 19 but it is mainly used to reheat our coffee or tea. I am thinking about ordering the door and hardware from ETI and convert it to storage. When camping we shouldn't be multitasking so our coffee shouldn't get cold.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I agree... to much of my life involves being on the run and re-heating coffee. When camping I try to make a point of sitting down and enjoying my coffee
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #31

Trailer: None
Here is an idea for keeping hot water: to help with conserving water is to use a pump pot. In the ... | RV i

You can heat up a kettle full in the morning, then using a Melitta type individual filter, make coffee throughout the day. Hot tea as well. Then any water leftover could be used for dish washing in the evening.

For the boondockers, here is another idea: ( don't laugh, think about it... ). solar water heater | RV ideas

Ok, you can laugh.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I agree... to much of my life involves being on the run and re-heating coffee. When camping I try to make a point of sitting down and enjoying my coffee
We finally bought a pair of insulated cups so the coffee stays hot, and no microwave is needed to reheat it.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #33
Site Team

I can drink coffee no matter what the temperature. I WORK for wages. Pour a hot cup of coffee in the morning.. minutes or hours later.. can still slurp it down. Starbucks is making a mint serving "iced" coffee drinks. I get that daily on the job
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Solar

OMG! You just reminded me that I have one of these up in the shed. I'm going to pull it out and use it for hot water. (Another reason I love this forum -- shakes up the old brain cells).
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Shower.jpg  
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I have found that a zojirushi stainless steel mug will keep my tea HOT for two to four hours. Found out about it when I burned my mouth drinking some tea that a friend brought to me. I asked when he made it, and he replied 'Before I left home about two hours ago.'
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #36

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
It looks like we migrated from microwaves to coffee, so here goes. I woke up one morning and asked myself "why am I drinking this stuff?" It didn't taste good, it was just habit, so I quit making it. Most restaurants made coffee that was just as bad as mine. I went to Peet's and ordered a cup of just plain coffee. It smelled and tasted wonderful, something to be enjoyed. I went back several times in the next few weeks, and always the coffee was excellent.

I wondered if I could master making coffee that well and started reading about coffee. I learned how to make a decent cup, and now am back to looking forward to a tasty cup in the morning.

When camping we go to the extra effort to keep the quality up by bringing fresh quality beans, grind it right before brewing, using the proper temperature fresh water, pouring over a paper filter in a Melitta cone into a glass lined vacuum carafe, and enjoyed a couple of minutes later. We have been using ceramic mugs, but the last half of the coffee cools too fast. I think the insulated travel mug is a good idea, even for every day use. I have a similar one to the one mentioned above that I have used on commutes to work which keeps the coffee hot for 2 hours or so. It is a Klean Kanteen from Stumptown Coffee Roasters. The lid is thin plastic with no insulation, but does not seem to be a problem. Coffee flavor goes downhill fast after brewing. After a half hour it is not really very good. Keeping it hot for hours is not really worth anything unless you don't have access to making a fresh pot. When camping we typically brew a second pot about an hour after the first for a second round that is as enjoyable as the first.
We do sometimes Nuke a half drunk cup when at home. (drunk?, drank?, drinketh?)
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Since the thread has been changed to coffee, and insulated cups (as an alternative to microwave reheating so related) we use an aeropress, available at Amazon. Makes one cup at a time, easier to clean up after than a French Press.

Keep it warm in a Nissan insulated cup till gone, and repeat as needed.

Freshly ground esoteric beans a must.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19', microwave