19 footer - Microwave question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
19 footer - Microwave question

A question for anyone with a microwave in their 19 footer. My wife has decided that she would like to have a microwave. What we are wondering is did you purchase it from Escape or did you buy one afterwards? Also, in retrospect, what would you recommend? I understand the space above the refrigerator is wired in for one, and I'm assuming it is spacious enough to add one in later on.

Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you do not get a microwave, the cabinet is wired for one at a later date. That said, having the microwave up high, over the refer, in my 19' was a little awkward. The risk of spilling seemed higher. In addition, the built in microwave takes up a large area, approximately 24" wide and 18" tall and there is a lot of dead space behind for air circulation. I opted out the built in microwave and got a real nice pantry in my 21', with an outlet. If I decide at a later date I can always add a smaller one and plug in in the pantry or elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Even at home we are not big fans of microwaved food.

The microwave in our 19 is above the Fridge, and according to Rick M who we bought the trailer from it is not the one Escape provides.

We find it very useful for storing bananas and the cutting board.

I admit, we did defrost meat in it the other day, but generally speaking we barbque or cook outside.

Microwaves are like $50.00 at Walmart these days.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
We find it very useful for storing bananas and the cutting board.
Just curious, why not take it out and have more storage? Our 2012 Escape 19 has the microwave and I hope to take it out and use the space for storage. Any reason one can't do this?
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Because you then have a hole there, if you do not get the microwave, ETI will install a cabinet door.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Because you then have a hole there, if you do not get the microwave, ETI will install a cabinet door.
I understand that, but I'm sure one could order said door and install it themselves or come up with a creative mod or door for the hole. No?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
There's been a lot of discussion for and against having a microwave in travel trailers. Only you can make that choice based on your style of camping. Are you planning to camp with 120v. power or a generator? Do you need that space that the microwave will take up? How much do you use your microwave at home?
We are likely in the minority who made the choice to have a microwave built in by ETI. A matching compact stainless steel oven built for RVs. I purchased it and sent the dimensions to ETI. They built the cabinet to fit and I brought up the oven during pickup. Unlike a Walmart model, it can handle road travel. We do not cook in it but it's handy for quick food warm-ups.
We camp with two other couples that chose not to have a microwave. But occasionally they come knocking want to use ours.
Attached Thumbnails
New Escape 1 010.jpg  
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #8

Trailer: ESCAPE 5.0TA in Sept 2014
Microwave/oven

I am putting together my list for a 5.0 ta in August.I've not been in any other than a 19f .I like to cook and plan on long trips 3 seasons.Did you need change in electrical outlets etc.Since I've not seen any pics of new 5.0 …only sketch provided by ETI …. unsure of layout.Just thinking it's a great idea.Thanks.
WHATARIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I understand that, but I'm sure one could order said door and install it themselves or come up with a creative mod or door for the hole. No?

Jane

I took the microwave out of our 5.0 because we found that we never really camped with hookups. Reace sold me a door and all the hardware; 10 minutes to install and we've found we much prefer the extra storage.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Of Course there is always this option Find the Grill 2 Convection Microwave for an everyday low price at Walmart.com I do not like microwaves for much but they are good for warming left overs and pop corn :} I want to change mine out for this one as I can then do more with it . But it Is a mod that will be last on my list of mods. As was said before to have one or not have one is personal choice and style of cooking / camping.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Jane

I took the microwave out of our 5.0 because we found that we never really camped with hookups. Reace sold me a door and all the hardware; 10 minutes to install and we've found we much prefer the extra storage.

Barry
Thanks, Barry! I'll chat with Reace about buying one. Jane
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
Just curious, why not take it out and have more storage? Our 2012 Escape 19 has the microwave and I hope to take it out and use the space for storage. Any reason one can't do this?
As Barry said, it would be a real easy mod. We love the storage space. All our dry goods, other that bread and chips go in there. With a bit of organizing, it really holds a lot.

Popcorn in a microwave? That would be a good reason to NOT go camping.
We do ours over the campfire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 15B
In our 15B we opted to not get the microwave and use the space for storage of our toaster oven. We take it outside and do a bit of baking. As others have said, it's really a personal choice.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #14

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Thanks for the input, everybody. I think we will hold off the microwave at this time. We've never used one in our pop-up so I think we will survive. We can always to a retrofit.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Ours gets used for baked potatoes primarily. After the centers are cooked, we put them on the barbie to crisp. We have also used the MW for thawing when the fridge was too cold.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
Thanks for the input, everybody. I think we will hold off the microwave at this time. We've never used one in our pop-up so I think we will survive. We can always to a retrofit.
We too, have never used one in our pop-up. We aren't sure where our Escape Camping is going to take us so we decided to go with the microwave, the $85 wasn't a budget buster and also ordered the cabinet door with hardware for $65, there again not a budget buster. This allows us both options at minimal expense and we can convert the space at anytime.
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
We too, have never used one in our pop-up. We aren't sure where our Escape Camping is going to take us so we decided to go with the microwave, the $85 wasn't a budget buster and also ordered the cabinet door with hardware for $65, there again not a budget buster. This allows us both options at minimal expense and we can convert the space at anytime.
So then, you are ready and willing to go both ways. I like to see open minded people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I can't see the problem with having a microwave. If you buy it and use it, you made the right decision. If you have it and don't use it, you can still use it for storage and it comes with a door. (for only $20 more than the door alone!)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I can't see the problem with having a microwave. If you buy it and use it, you made the right decision. If you have it and don't use it, you can still use it for storage and it comes with a door. (for only $20 more than the door alone!)
Using the microwave for storage will only allow you to use approximately 30% of the available space available if you did not install such unit. We all know space is a premium we dearly pay for in our trailers.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Yes, depends on personal preference.
Ours: 19', larger refrig, therefore microwave, 2 burner stove as I've rarely has 3 going in our other trailer....condensation can be issue with lot of stovetop cooking.
When we left MI Sunday, freezer & refrig full of last months leftovers.
Honda 2000 runs microwave at WalMart overnights along way.
As we entered FL, ran into Sonny's BBQ for bulk take out of pulled pork....lunch in TT, rest in zip bags in refrig & freezer.
Want to spend my time kayaking, biking and beachcombing. Not cooking.
Diane

Tags
19', microwave