19 on order - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
19 on order

Greetings,

I want to thank everyone for the great information provided on this forum. I have been reading and learning for a couple years and It sure made ordering our 19 a breeze. We have an August 6 completion date. Was hoping to get the trailer in time for the rally but life got in the way. Because of the information here we got the polar cub ac as it made sense to have a smaller unit cooling the trailer. The ez lube hubs are another option that made sense based on information provided here.

Thanks again

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dave, we talked Escapes the other day on the phone - thanks again.... From that, I am busy planning my options in hopes of ordering a 19 footer in the near future. A couple questions arise-- I post them here in hopes others with experience might also throw in their two cents.
* What is the R factor difference gained from not sticking with standard factory insulation and going for the extra thick option? Am I right to assume primary gain is due to getting double pane windows?
* Can I order the roof made "wired and ready to accept an A/C unit" for installation at a later time? If so, would it come equipped with the appropriate exterior hood/shield/and interior faring? Thinking I could do my own install.
*Anyone else prefer the smaller Polar Cub to the bigger factory unit?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Reace or Tammy would be the best source for your answers. My extra insulation covers the areas you do not see. Stock insulation is padded vinyl down to the benches and bed. Extra insulation is reflectix glued to the fiberglass on all other areas unseen, as underneath bed, benches, wheel wells. Double pane windows are included and all the windows except for the front are double, even the door window. Extra opening windows in the bath and kitchen are not double paned. In the winter I place a piece of reflectix under the front stone guard awning and that helps with the front window and same for the extra kitchen/bath.
Not sure if you can order a unit with the a/c shroud with no a/c. I have the smaller 9200 Coleman and it is quieter than the 11,500 Dometic. It is also able to operate off a 2000 watt Yamaha generator. It is my 3 rd trailer with the Coleman and I'm a fan of it. I would ask for the digital thermostat to control the heat and a/c, really keeps the temperature even inside. Solar is another option have to have. Spray foam underneath keeps your floors warmer, heat pads are probably not needed. Front tool box is another can't live without, once you have it option. Not sure where Edgewood is located so further advice is not offered.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think all trailers come pre-wired for A/C. I know mine has it, and don't think I ordered it extra, though not positive. When adding A/C later you would need to get the shroud for the added roof support.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

When I last checked in February, the a/c ready pkg was250.00. I chose the polar cub based on Jim's and others reccomedation as it is a smaller unit and better sized (9200 btu) to cool the trailer without over kill. . Don't know how much I will use it living in the west but sure will be good for resale value. It we ever head into humidity will really want it. Jim what digital thermostat did you use? FYI Edgewood is around the mountain from Albuquerque. When Myron gets his we will have 3 Escapes in the area..........maybe a rally around balloon fiesta is in our future!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Ask Reace for a digital thermostat set up. I provided one and he was only able to connect the heat, he needed another part to connect the a/c and was unable to have it installed before my completion. He should be able to get both parts needed for yours if it is still in the planning.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #7

Thanks Jim, will do. I must add that you are a true inspiration with all the mods you have done to your 19!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks, I often wonder if they are appreciated by the other members. Hopefully there will be more modifications posted by myself and others here on the forum....
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

I expect we’ll be doing a lot of traveling in hot places. It only took one miserable July night in OK City of sleeping in our un-air conditioned Scamp to convince me I wanted A/C, and if I can avoid it I sure don’t want to listen to a loud one cycling on and off.

Yes, when I do call to order mine I’ll get the “final answer” to my questions. I got a tad of experience over the years rebuilding two eggs so don’t mind probing for ways to save a buck by doing it myself.

My biggest rasseling question is justifying that one thousand dollars to add extra insulation. If the entire shell interior is getting a thicker layer of reflectix, plus new double-pane windows instead of single pane ones, well, then that $1000 makes good practical sense.

But, if you are getting double-pane windows in the standard package, and extra reflectix is merely added in selected areas, well that is a different breed of cat. Reflectix is absolutely useful, but at R-1.1 more cursory than serious as insulation. A double layer of it with no air between does not double insulation.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

The thermal windows are not standard but are part of the extra insulation. When I said in the above post, they are included, I meant, in the package! They are by far the most expensive part of this $1000 option, the extra reflectix is an added bonus. That with the foam spray underneath the exterior option will make your interior extremely quiet and outside noise will be greatly diminished.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

The insulation pkg seems to be well liked by most folks ordering trailers. Many comment on how cool or warm the trailer stays with this pkg. another option is having the under carriage sprayed with foam. Not sure what you would do if you had a leak or other problem with foam everywhere, but as Jim mentioned it quiets and completes the total insulation of the trailer.
As I recall Bob has the a/c ready pkg on his trailer and it includes the necessary roof reinforcements.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Jim. Makes sense. Windows are usually the most serious insulation issue. Now I'm thinking maybe will order double-pane windows only in the big rear window over the bed, and those at head and foot of the bed.