19 or 21??? - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I found that my fresh water tank lasts about a week. This is while traveling alone, showering daily, and using the trailer's bathroom and not the campground facilities. It is no big deal to replenish the fresh water with a five-gallon can; my constraint is the gray water tank, which lasts about 8-9 days max. Then I have to go find a dump station.
Correction: The above is true when showering every other day, not daily. I've already forgotten my trailer habits. Time to take another trip.
__________________

__________________
Mike Lewis
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie-- Propane.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,959
I forgot to mention some really important info to be gleaned from the spreadsheet. We talk a lot here about not exceeding tow vehicle weight capacity, but our trailers all have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3500# for a 17; 4000# for a 19; and 4500# for a 21; and a lot of the real world weights are getting very close to those max ratings - in the case of one 19 it is even over. The large range of tongue weigh is informative too.

Not overloading (and how we balance loads in) our trailers is something to consider as we all load up on those fun devices and mods that we all love to take along.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,379
Trailer weights

Good Morning Eric,
One thing we try to stay conscious about is when we make a trailer change, is to ask ourselves " did we make this thing heavier or lighter"? Usually the answer is heavier. When I get set up this spring, I'm gonna go see my girlfriend at the quarry. She said she would weigh our rig for free when they were not busy. This will give me a new 2016 baseline. Might have to change AZJack's "on the road vehicle weight" label inside the door frame. Up or down, who knows?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #104
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I forgot to mention some really important info to be gleaned from the spreadsheet. We talk a lot here about not exceeding tow vehicle weight capacity, but our trailers all have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3500# for a 17; 4000# for a 19; and 4500# for a 21; and a lot of the real world weights are getting very close to those max ratings - in the case of one 19 it is even over. The large range of tongue weigh is informative too.

Not overloading (and how we balance loads in) our trailers is something to consider as we all load up on those fun devices and mods that we all love to take along.
The tonque weight on our 21' is something to pay close attention to, especially with a bikes on the back. I am trying to keep heavy things in the front and light things in the back. So far, so good handling wise. A WDH and sway control and a Silverado towing of course helps. Being close to GVW concerns me, since I am a big fan of safety factors
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Good Morning Eric,
One thing we try to stay conscious about is when we make a trailer change, is to ask ourselves " did we make this thing heavier or lighter"? Usually the answer is heavier. When I get set up this spring, I'm gonna go see my girlfriend at the quarry. She said she would weigh our rig for free when they were not busy. This will give me a new 2016 baseline. Might have to change AZJack's "on the road vehicle weight" label inside the door frame. Up or down, who knows?
Dave
Boy is that true! I weigh my trailer before every trip, both tongue & axle, and with a few short trip exceptions, each year it gets a bit heavier. I'll have to stop soon since I'm getting close to the trailer maximum. It doesn't help that I'm usually packing for 5-6 months on the road...
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,959
So, Jon, apparently as our trailers age they mirror what seems to happen to our own weights as we age....
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Boy is that true! I weigh my trailer before every trip, both tongue & axle,
Man, reading this thread is making me nervous. I've never weighed my tongue weight or trailer. I take what I take and all I know I've got lots of miles under sometimes difficult conditions and the trailer tows and handles well. Whatever makes you comfortable I guess.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,959
Ron, some things that Reace has done on all the designs is distribute weigh well and makes sure they tend more toward heavy (rather than too light) on tongue weight thus leading to trailers that tow well even when not optimally loaded.

For comparison, we used to have a 16' Scamp Side Dinette Deluxe. Compared to a 17B, the axles on a 16' Scamp are much closer to the center, making it inherently more prone to sway. That was combined with the fact that the design of the side dinette puts nearly everything heavy on one side of the trailer. With the little C rated 13" tires ours came with I'm sure that there were times that the heavy side was over the weight rating of those little tires.

(Edit: I went back and looked and tongue weights of 19' Escapes on Jon's spreadsheet and some of them are light on tongue weight while all the 17's and 21's are not, so maybe I am over generalizing ......)
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Man, reading this thread is making me nervous. I've never weighed my tongue weight or trailer. I take what I take and all I know I've got lots of miles under sometimes difficult conditions and the trailer tows and handles well. Whatever makes you comfortable I guess.

Ron
I never weighed my 19 in the 6+ years I had it, other than the tongue once.

When I cleaned all of gear out of it, I was actually surprised how little we had. No way there was even 200 lbs. If course, this did not include bikes, propane, or liquid from the tanks.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,959
Most of the extra weight in our 17B is all the homegrown food Mary brings along. I keep saying that there are groceries stores everywhere, but I usually loose on that one.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.