19 or 21??? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Cathy, I like having the sun wake me up -- i feel happier. But I know this isn't the case for many -- I also feel more private when the door is opened with the bed in the rear. Personally, my biggest reason for thinking about the 21 would be all that storage at a level that wouldn't require bending. I'm solving that next summer by leaving a lot of food products at home. It really wasn't necessary for me to take a seven week supply of brown rice and dried beans. These days there's a health food store in even the most out of the way places.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Cathy, I like having the sun wake me up -- i feel happier. But I know this isn't the case for many -- I also feel more private when the door is opened with the bed in the rear.
I share these feelings. Unfortunately I am usually awake before the sun comes in, but it sure is a nice feeling when it beats me up, and shines in and warms me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #43

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm not at all convinced that a tiny shower and tiny toilet area are better than one larger dual-purpose area, but to many people the separate shower is an important feature... which no Escape has.
When I was showing the floor plan to the friend of mine that has a motorhome she didn't like that it has a wet bath. She said I wouldn't have much room to shower. I told her that the Jayco motorhome I rented, which had a separate shower, had less room for showering than I'll have in the Escape trailer. Her shower is the same size. She likes 'em separate, I guess. I don't see any reason to as I'll take more elbow room than separate facilities. (I don't plan to use the campsite's shower facilities unless absolutely necessary.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Layout before size.
Yes. For example, I can't imagine making a decision based on bath size when one spends maybe three minutes taking a shower or maybe a total of fifteen minutes over a day's time in there. Pretty small increment of time considering there are 24 hours in a day.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Cathy, I like having the sun wake me up -- i feel happier. But I know this isn't the case for many -- I also feel more private when the door is opened with the bed in the rear. Personally, my biggest reason for thinking about the 21 would be all that storage at a level that wouldn't require bending. I'm solving that next summer by leaving a lot of food products at home. It really wasn't necessary for me to take a seven week supply of brown rice and dried beans. These days there's a health food store in even the most out of the way places.
Ruthe, do you sleep with your shades up so the sun will wake you? I love the sun waking me up many times, too, but other people may not and not necessarily some days. I try to give information for others to consider --- not necessarily what I prefer but what they might need to know to decide what they want. I am sure that many do not want to be awakened by the sun and maybe even you on some days. If you go to sleep at 3 a.m., do you want to be awakened at 6?

Many people want privacy which is what the curtain in the 21' also gives when the door is opened. Those of us with 21's can only try to get across the situation for people who have never had a 21'. I don't know how many owners of 21's are unhappy with the door situation but maybe it is many and they just never say. We did not know about the curtain situation until having the trailer, even though we knew there was one. It works just great if used.

We are not always finding health food stores and have to learn to stock up when we come across one, particularly with something other than air bread. That is when I might wish we had the oven! Yes, I also took more food than we would use but that is probably because we would eat out more than expected. And then I went the other way and we almost ran short!

I loved the 19' when we had it and now we have a 21' and love it. We considered getting another 19' but now that we have a 21', we would not go back. Of course, as with everyone, that is due to particulars which may only concern us. There are a few who do not like one or the other and have changed. With the ones I know, it was due to the bed size. So I can only tell those considering to really look at the bed size. Also, Escape has a habit of coming out with new models so people tend to move to another one for the advantages and changes they see.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My lottery win garage would have an Oz Outback style 15' FGRV, and an interstate cruiser TT in the 25' range, FG of course.

The rugged one because I apparently I like going to 'interesting' places where small is king. A larger FG TT with walk around (near) queen would be sweet, essentially a 5.0TA with no steps, for those open highway trips.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Cathy, I think this conversation is probably useful to those making up their minds -- seeing the back and forth. We leave the shades open depending on privacy and/or light pollution. Especially in places with no hookups there is likely to be at least one side where no one could see in. At one time we had a tent you could stand up in with huge windows on all four sides but it was really frustrating to me because most of the time we needed to close the windows up for privacy. I agree that if we ever stayed up til 3 A.M. you're right -- the shades might stay down

I really went overboard last summer with the grains and the beans. I also had grandiose ideas that I would make lentil-rice dosas as well as my own kiefer. When it came right down to it my cooking was pretty basic -- it's very possible that if I had the counter space of a 21 I'd be more inspired with the cooking, but I don't know -- after cooking three meals a day for a family of seven for so many years, I seem to be a bit burnt out.

It probably depends on where you travel, but finding health food stores was amazingly easy the last two summers. That was NOT the case in the past and as you point out there are many places where it still is not the case. Bread can be a big issue, but it's hard to stock up on that since it would take up freezer space.

I don't know that we could full time in the 19. At one time we'd thought we might, but if we were spending all or most of our time in a trailer I suspect we'd need something different. The 5.0 bed area was too claustrophobic for me, but the TA is a different story.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I like waking up to sunshine (although that doesn't usually suit my wife's schedule), but I don't necessarily want to get up at 5 am in mid-summer!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #49

5am is sleeping in for some of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm not considering anything other than the current 19 until Reace and Tammy release the 25....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm not considering anything other than the current 19 until Reace and Tammy release the 25....
I can say with confidence that you will have yourself a long, long wait.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
and for others, it is just getting home.....
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No thit! I see the sun come up every single day. Not so much for it going down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #54

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
We chose the 21 based on a combination of things the bath being one of them but also the bed and the counter space. When you have 2 bad knees you need extra room (bathroom) and it's hard to climb over or around another person (bed), she can scoot easier with the 21 bed.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Yes. For example, I can't imagine making a decision based on bath size when one spends maybe three minutes taking a shower or maybe a total of fifteen minutes over a day's time in there. Pretty small increment of time considering there are 24 hours in a day.
Totally agree. That space is precious. Bigger bath = less living space elsewhere. Or, you go with a bigger dimension overall, and now you're back in stickie territory. Escapes fill a nice niche.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #56

I think Escape should skip the 23' and go right to the 25'. There are a whole lot of people out there with much bigger than 25' and that is downsizing to them.

Maybe someone should just make a list of the differences between 19' and 21'.
Okay, here is a start:

Bed size
Bed and dinette position and general layout
Tank sizes --- that is a big consideration often overlooked
Counter space
Bath size
Storage space

Comparing the above should cover it for most people. Of course, you may have to also consider your tow vehicle.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #57

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Add in "aisle size".
Old 01-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Standard features.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #59

I have seen people say aisle size before. It should be noted that most people can pass each other in a 19'. At least, that is what I think. Without having measured, my impression is that the 21' aisle is wider. Maybe some want to measure those just for comparison.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Aisle size may be OK when you first buy the trailer, but as the trailer ages it may seem to shrink??

Storage Space can also be viewed either way as a negative or positive.
More Space = Too much stuff
More Space = I need more stuff

Less Space = I need more stuff
Less Space = Can't fill what I have

And on and on....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote