19 or 21 ft, pls provide your input - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 17B would be just perfect, if it had a four-person front dinette instead of two-person.
Hook 'er up to the bike rack gbaglo, and tow your rig backwards.😜
Now you got the 4 person dinette at the front!

Now that, is what this forum is all about! The Sharing of ideas!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My wife is 5'-4" and when I mentioned to her that others did not like the height of the windows at the dinette in the 19, she was surprised with that, and says she likes them at the height they are at, and prefers the view she gets, rather than looking at the ground.
Ditto and my wife is 5' 0". We also prefer that everyone is not looking in at us.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
They are both still really small trailers, you'll find that out the first time you park next to a motorhome.
I agree that any Escape is relatively small, but so are some motorhomes - an Escape 21' plus typical tug is huge compared to Winnebago Trend motorhome. All RV types come in a range of sizes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap4hire View Post
Couple questions asked of me were tow vehicle: Toyota Highlander and size of boats I have towed: 12/15/21ft.
The biggest boat is longer (when the trailer is included) than even the Escape 21', and I would guess that a 21' boat is likely wide enough that the Escape 21' would not be intimidating... but remember that it's basically a box and harder to see around than a boat.

EscapeForum members with Highlanders (there are a few) can comment on capacity, but Toyota manuals normally include a GCWR value: subtract the curb weight and all your stuff in Highlander from that and see how much capacity is left, just to be sure that you're not crossing the line between 19' and 21' sizes. If it were a truck, every bit of passenger and cargo weight would cut into the 5000 pound towing rating, but maybe not for the Highlander - my Sienna can take half a ton of stuff inside before cutting into its 3500 pound towing rating.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Escape 19 vs. 21: How much difference does 500 pounds make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap4hire View Post
Hello, I am having a hard time deciding between purchasing a 19 or 21 ft Escape. My tow vehicle is rated for 5k lbs. We have no former experience RV'ing, just tent camping. Have towing experience with many different boats. Most camping will be long weekends including boondocking with my wife and I in National Forests. We both work, no long excursions for now. We are fine with the bed size of both, cost difference is irrelevant.
My general assessment is I would prefer the space and options of the 21 IF towing is not more difficult. Hope to place an order this week, please provide your input/feedback you believe may be helpful in making this decision.

Thanks, Craig
Cap4hire, we had a 19' on order a year ago and were at ETI finalizing the build list when we happened to step into a 21' for the first time. We immediately saw that the 21' suited our needs better than the 19'. (Rear dinette, no-climbover bed, more counter space, bigger fridge, more elbow room, extra storage space}.

We had planned to tow the 19' with our 2011 4Runner (5000# tow rating). When I asked Reace that day how well he thought our SUV would tow a trailer weighing 500 pounds more than the 19', his diplomatic answer was, "That would depend on your expectations." We also checked with the service manager at our Toyota dealership (who we trust, and who has towed a lot), and he thought the combination would be fine. They were both correct, to a point.

So we bought the 21', and after a 4-week trip last fall (our first towing experience ever--just two people and minimal stuff), which included several mountain passes, I think your 5000 pound capacity tow vehicle would work fine with an Escape 21 for the short trips you're planning initially, just as our 4Runner did for nearly all of our long trip. You could certainly buy the 21' and try it with your current vehicle, then upgrade to a higher capacity tow vehicle when you become free to do longer trips.

Because of a couple of slow climbs on long mountain grades at elevation, and because our next destination is an extended trip to the high country of the US Southwest, we are now (albeit reluctantly) looking for a 2011 or 2012 Tundra which will have nearly double the towing capacity of the 4Runner. The extra torque and the tow/haul mode will make driving in the mountains easier. Some days on our trip I saw almost nothing but the tachometer and the road ahead as I constantly gauged the RPM and shift points to keep us going at an acceptable speed up long mountain grades on 2-lane roads with few passing lanes or pullouts, occasionally with motorists behind us wishing we were going faster. To me, it's worth spending extra on gas to have a more relaxing drive on the steep grades.

But that's me, and on our last two days of the trip, when we drove from the Oregon Coast back home to mid-Vancouver Island, the 4Runner towed like a champ up the grades on the Olympic Peninsula and over the Malahat north of Victoria. If all the roads we want to travel featured lower elevations and gentler hills, as your intended routes might, we would be keeping the V6 vehicle for a long time.

I am not sure how much easier it would be to tow an Escape 19 than a 21 using a vehicle with our 4Runner's tow capacity on steep grades at elevation. Perhaps more experienced folks can share their experience on exactly how much difference 500 pounds makes (about 3800 vs. 4300#) under challenging conditions.

I hope these thoughts help your decision-making process, Craig.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh just give it up and buy a 5.0TA, you get everything from the other builds and more
Then it's true Donna has everything!

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You've been on this forum long enough to know that Donna does indeed have everything.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Then it's true Donna has everything!
I'm still waiting for those winning lottery numbers. But what the 'EL I have an ETI custom built trailer... that's dang close!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm still waiting for those winning lottery numbers. But what the 'EL I have an ETI custom built trailer... that's dang close!
Well, Donna I hope those winning lottery tickets come soon for you. Just don't forget your your Escape family.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Trust me... we'd have a grand party!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote