2 questions, wrap around dinette and front toolbox - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
2 questions, wrap around dinette and front toolbox

If you order the 19 or the 21 with the wrap around dinette option do you get the outside access doors, or is it an option. Does the outside access go through to the other side, or does it stop somewhere inside and doesn't go through. Just how big is the area for storage, I do realize that you can access this area from the inside, but I would more interested in the outside access for camping gear. Is the front toolbox frame longer then the standard frame, or are the propane tanks just mounted farther back without the box. I personally don't like the way the Escape toolbox looks on the trailer, it looks like it's falling forward, but might want to add a box of my choice.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

We have the ETI toolbox and love it. It's extremely nice to have a secure place to store tools, hoses, electrical cords, chocks, etc,...All that stuff used to end up in our truck bed, but having it on the tongue of the camper is so much more convenient and clean. I believe the access door to the area under the bed on the 21' was standard. ( We did add a door for the area under the dinette on the same side. ) The area under the bed on the 21' is very open, only a few pipes in there, that don't block much. It does stop at the bathroom wall on the other ( curb ) side. It's as wide as the bed.

I don't think they modify the frame for the toolboxes, so I believe the tanks are positioned in the same place regardless of box installation or not.

The box is "tilted" due to the contour of the camper enclosure, and is a custom fit. We actually love it.

Good luck !
Old 11-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Outside access doors to the spaces under the seats of the "U" shaped dinette are options. I added one on the passenger side.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depending on model, the 19 has very little usable space under driver side dinette but the curb side is open, some have put an access hatch, most just put the optional door on the inside to gain access while outside. The optional outside hatch is also dependent upon manual vs automatic awning in all models. The E21 has optional outside hatches both rear sides for access under the dinette seats, again dependent upon awning type.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
If you order the 19 or the 21 with the wrap around dinette option do you get the outside access doors, or is it an option. Does the outside access go through to the other side, or does it stop somewhere inside and doesn't go through.
There is no "pass through" storage (open so that if you open the access door on both sides you see right through) in any model of Escape, mostly because there simply isn't a place for it. The wrap-around dinette in a 21' or 5.0TA has only a narrow space across the back wall, and it contains electrical equipment. The 19' does have a bed across the back (the usual setup for pass-through storage in an RV), but the water heater and shore power cord block the street side of that space.

Quote:
Is the front toolbox frame longer then the standard frame, or are the propane tanks just mounted farther back without the box.
The frame is the same length regardless of whether or not the box is chosen. This is the opposite of the situation for a Bigfoot, which provides space for the optional box by extending the frame by the length of the box.

Currently the propane tanks are mounted in the same place (as far forward as possible) whether or not the trailer is factory-equipped with the optional storage box. For a 21', that means an empty space if you don't get the box; a 19' gets a battery box (or two, if you get dual batteries) in that space. If you get the box on a 19' the batteries are located inside the box.

Quote:
I personally don't like the way the Escape toolbox looks on the trailer, it looks like it's falling forward, but might want to add a box of my choice.
It looks that way in part because it is designed to fit against the front wall of the trailer, which is sloped, but the front is also sloped... I don't know why.

Some Escape owners have used various ready-made storage boxes instead of the factory optional box, and some have even custom-built them to better fit the space. My personal favourite is the one Ron in BC made:

The back is fitted to the slope of the trailer, and the front is vertical. It's clad in aluminum. Ron posted a description of the construction, but I didn't find that in a quick search.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the great replies, all my questions were answered and we haven't got off topic yet.

trainman
Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
T
My personal favourite is the one Ron in BC made:
Well color me blushing.

Thanks Brian

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The back is fitted to the slope of the trailer, and the front is vertical. It's clad in aluminum. Ron posted a description of the construction, but I didn't find that in a quick search.
Here is a little more info...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post55608
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
On the 19 with the queen rear bed there is some inaccessible storage space. Driver's side behind the hot water tank. No room on the driver's side for another hatch, maybe room at the back near the license plate bracket? We could put 2 bags with our snorkel gear back there, access by crawling back there but what a pita. We have 4 large plastic totes under the bed, chairs and table in the streetwise hatch, and then that empty space. The ugly front box holds our 2 batteries and all the ground tackle. Initially, we were not enamored with the box, why not make the trailer 1 ft longer? Now that blocks, x braces, hoses, chocks, removable power cord, extra extension cord, spare water pump, shovel, and tools all live in an easy to access place we like the box.

Under the Casita SD17 bed we had room only for 2 totes and the chairs. The streetside storage held all our ground tackle. Storage in the 19 is pretty amazing.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
On the 19 with the queen rear bed there is some inaccessible storage space. Driver's side behind the hot water tank.

That space is accessible, just not *easily* accessible. We buy RV-style toilet paper by the case and keep excess in that corner. Then when we need a couple more rolls up front we send the eight year old (who loves doing this) slithering under there for resupply. That corner is best suited for anything you really want to have with you, but do not need easy or regular access to. An emergency case of MRE’s or C-Rations for your bugout kit would also work well there.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There should be a sign posted, "For small people or children access only", sometimes I felt trapped getting into that corner.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We have the u-shaped dinette in our 21 and added an access door on the driver's side. I use it for the removable power cord, an extension cord, air pump and a rag for wiping off the power cord before shoving it back in. Can't really fit too much else in there. It's really handy having it right next to the power outlet.

I never access the storage areas from inside as it's too much of a PITA to do so (for us) to shift the cushions (and pillows and blankets and books and etc, etc) around and all that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21
Both side rear hatch doors

Easy outside access is worth considering. I’ve got them coming on my 21’, and I know without a doubt, that I won’t regret spending the little extra; especially after seeing them. They’re over a foot deep, maybe cover most of the 48” seat length, and can hold a few extra items that would otherwise be hard to reach from inside and under the benches. Nice!
Rrgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Easy outside access is worth considering. I’ve got them coming on my 21’, and I know without a doubt, that I won’t regret spending the little extra; especially after seeing them. They’re over a foot deep, maybe cover most of the 48” seat length, and can hold a few extra items that would otherwise be hard to reach from inside and under the benches. Nice!
True, having to go in the trailer and get stuff at setup or take down is a real PITA. I feel that the outside is mine and the inside is the wife's stuff, not that we don't help each other, but we both have our jobs to do. In fact if I need something that inside she will get it for me, she packs everything in her special place and I probably couldn't find it even if she told me where it was. I'm big on the KISS system.

trainman