2015 Escape Lost, 2017 Escape Found - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
2015 Escape Lost, 2017 Escape Found

Almost 3 months ago here in Louisiana, we experienced a devastating river flood that put almost eight feet of water in our house. It was such a catastrophic event that over 90% of the homes and businesses in our town flooded. We knew in advance that the water was coming and were able to move most of our belongings to higher ground. Our belongings were eventually located in five locations prior to the food. Unfortunately, four of the five locations flooded and we lost so much! This included our 2015 Escape 5.0TA! To say we were heartbroken is an understatement. I think losing the Escape hit us harder than the house.

The good news is that we had learned about on this forum and purchased Full Replacement coverage with National General through Good Sam. National General quickly totaled the trailer and ordered a new 2017 Escape 5.0TA! We could have chosen another brand of trailer and received it almost immediately but waiting for another Escape is well worth it to us!

As I understand things, our 2015 Escape 5.0TA was purchased and is now in Alabama where it will be cleaned and repaired. If it appears back on the market, hopefully the history of the trailer will be disclosed!

We are so thankful to those on this forum that recommended Full Replacement coverage with National General through Good Sam! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Mark, I'm sorry to hear about your flood losses. I know alot of folks in Louisiana were affected. Good news thought about the replacement cost coverage. For those in the market for an Escape, I hope this is a wake up call. Peace of mind is worth it for a few extra bucks. Don't skimp on the insurance coverage.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Oh My God! What a disaster! So sorry for your losses ! Glad to see you have recovered some things, but your positive attitude is remarkable. So Sorry for you, your family and friends!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
So sorry to hear about all your loss. What a nightmare. Hopefully everything will be replaced just like the Escape.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For Canadians, overland flood insurance hasn't been available. Nobody offered it, but several insurance companies now do.
Severe flooding prompts new insurance offering - The Globe and Mail
Best check with your company because if you don't buy it, you don't have it.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is the hard way to get a new trailer; sorry to hear. Will the insurance co. pay for delivery to you as well? Am also wondering whether sales tax will have to be paid when you register it.

Hopefully a salvage title was issued when the flooded trailer was sold, but putting out its VIN # here is something I would do.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sorry to hear about all your stuff, we had a terrible flood here in the spring of 2013, and a few thousand lost home contents, many their homes. A lot of devastation for many.

Glad that your trailer is getting replaced though. I have always been an advocate of full replacement cost. Sure, you get to upgrade to a newer trailer for free, but you still have lots of hassle to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This is the hard way to get a new trailer; sorry to hear. Will the insurance co. pay for delivery to you as well? Am also wondering whether sales tax will have to be paid when you register it.

Hopefully a salvage title was issued when the flooded trailer was sold, but putting out its VIN # here is something I would do.
I would imagine that taxes would be included in the replacement costs, they are here.

I would imagine you are correct, that the VIN would come up as salvaged. I know here you can get it titled again, but there is a bit of a process.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow! Can't even imagine you all went through...
Do hope you are looking forward to your new trailer and be able to enjoy it for a loooong time to come!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Wow ...so sorry to read this - that's really an awful event and result . So nice that there will be a happy ending at least with your new Escape .
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Drumstick63... Sorry!!! You have gone through what most all of us dread. Slowly stuff gets replaced... People rarely do. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would imagine you are correct, that the VIN would come up as salvaged. I know here you can get it titled again, but there is a bit of a process.
Boy, I hope that the title will come up as salvage. Unless it's stripped out right to the shell it'll be a rolling mold factory. Hope it doesn't get cleaned up, put on Craigslist and sold to an unsuspecting buyer who thinks that they're getting a real deal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
Almost 3 months ago here in Louisiana, we experienced a devastating river flood that put almost eight feet of water in our house. It was such a catastrophic event that over 90% of the homes and businesses in our town flooded. We knew in advance that the water was coming and were able to move most of our belongings to higher ground. Our belongings were eventually located in five locations prior to the food. Unfortunately, four of the five locations flooded and we lost so much! This included our 2015 Escape 5.0TA! To say we were heartbroken is an understatement. I think losing the Escape hit us harder than the house.

The good news is that we had learned about on this forum and purchased Full Replacement coverage with National General through Good Sam. National General quickly totaled the trailer and ordered a new 2017 Escape 5.0TA! We could have chosen another brand of trailer and received it almost immediately but waiting for another Escape is well worth it to us!

As I understand things, our 2015 Escape 5.0TA was purchased and is now in Alabama where it will be cleaned and repaired. If it appears back on the market, hopefully the history of the trailer will be disclosed!

We are so thankful to those on this forum that recommended Full Replacement coverage with National General through Good Sam! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Mark

Thank goodness you were totally covered! At least for the Escape. What a huge loss of your house and all. Hope you can come back strong regarding the house and your other belongings. Hope you have your new Escape soon.

We try to tell people about full replacement coverage and this is why. Some help to you anyway on such a catastrophe.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #13

National General seems to be covering everything. They have been great! They are covering the price increase for the 2017 model, all taxes/fees, and delivery!

The VIN number on our 2015 unit was 2E9TF6B51FC068123. I suspect a salvage title was issued as it was totaled. We completed all the necessary and notarized paperwork required.

Mark
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Glad to hear a good news story.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #15

Searches on that VIN number show flood/water damage and "Certificate of Destruction".
Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
Searches on that VIN number show flood/water damage and "Certificate of Destruction".
That's interesting. A certificate of Destruction is just that - it certifies the vehicle is dismantled and sold for parts, or crushed. Once a COD is issued, the vehicle cannot be re-titled in any way, including a salvage title. So, no idea what's going to happen to it. Makes me cringe to think of even a flood damaged Escape being crushed.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #17

The information regarding water/flood damage and Certificate of Destruction came from what appears to be a closed auction. I actually couldn't open the page as the auction was closed. Without actually being able to open the page and see the details, I guess that verbiage could apply to another VIN number. Who knows....
Old 11-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's interesting. A certificate of Destruction is just that - it certifies the vehicle is dismantled and sold for parts, or crushed. Once a COD is issued, the vehicle cannot be re-titled in any way, including a salvage title. So, no idea what's going to happen to it. Makes me cringe to think of even a flood damaged Escape being crushed.
Me, too.
I can easily see destroying a conventional RV trailer due to flood damage, but an Escape with an intact shell would be worth rebuilding (at least to a hobbyist, if not professionally) even if nothing but the bare shell and frame survived. I wonder if even the shell was assessed as unsalvageable because the bonded-in wood floor was soaked? Hopefully the notation was just for a different RV.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
And here it as......

2015 Escape 5.0 TA

edit - sorry - I thought it was in Georgia - I see it's in Alabama. Not sure of title rules there.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
Site Team

Interesting. "Sold with a Bill of Sale".... i. e., no title. So then, you buy it and can't license it? Other than camping on your own property, what could you use it for?

I see no signs of warping or damage from the few low res photos in the listing. $13.5K is of course a steal, but not if you can't tow it anywhere.