2016 RAM 1500 3.6L towing 21ft - my experience - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Got a schematic at the Ram dealership for the 2015 factory trailer wiring and confirmed 7 pin connector wired to 12v direct with just a fuse and NO relay to switch it off. Going to install an inline relay to switch it when truck is off. Checked a friends Silverado and it was the same..live when off and no relay!
Interesting... so much for this idea that pickup trucks from the traditional "Big Three" manufactuers are "designed for towing". Maybe Ford does a better job (which would explain F-150 owners in this discussion being surprised by the Ram behaviour).

By the way, I did see the fuse documented in the Ram owner's manual, but of course that manual doesn't provide full circuit details.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Interesting... so much for this idea that pickup trucks from the traditional "Big Three" manufactuers are "designed for towing". Maybe Ford does a better job (which would explain F-150 owners in this discussion being surprised by the Ram behaviour).
To say the least, Brian. My F150 has to "sense" that the trailer is connected and be running to supply power to the 12V+ pin. That means you have to set up the trailer section on the dash before it will supply 12V power to charge when running. Once shut off, nada.

Anyway, the thread is about towing with the Ram 1500, which according to the owners appears to be a very capable and efficient tow vehicle, so apologies for sidetracking the thread.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Bill and Earline
She's the modern combination
She's the Tennessee Ram Cannonball
Dave
You're the man, Dave.

Miss you guys already. Photo from the Mississippi River/Davenport rally.

I of these days I'll find my notes on how to attach a pic. Thanks,

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would wonder if it is a "retained power" function, meaning it stays live after the engine is shut off, but only for a programmed period of time, dependent of factors such as when the last door is closed or the vehicle is locked. Jim, are you sure it stays on indefinitely?
Am thinking this is the case. While I can listen to my radio when key is out of ignition it will turn off after something like 10-15 minutes.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I checked mine after it sat for 5 days, still on. Plus the Ram does not have the delay radio some other trucks have, ignition off, everything off, whereas some will allow windows and radio, not the Ram.. Unless my indicator is bad, it shows power at all times.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I checked mine after it sat for 5 days, still on. Plus the Ram does not have the delay radio some other trucks have, ignition off, everything off, whereas some will allow windows and radio, not the Ram.. Unless my indicator is bad, it shows power at all times.
Thanks for checking, Jim. Too bad it doesn't shut off, but that is what we can expect given what Jeff (freespirit) found in the wiring diagram.

Fortunately, as Jeff mentioned, you can finish the job properly by adding a relay. You can even put a voltage-controlled relay on the trailer, if you don't want to modify the truck. An example: 12V Dual Battery Isolator | Princess Auto. This device - which you could install inline in the wire on the trailer between the towing connector and the battery - disconnects when it sees less than 12.8 volts (which will happen as soon as you shut off the engine, if you don't have another charger connected) and does not reconnect until it sees at least 13.3 volts on the truck's side. If you have a working solar charging system the relay might stay connected, but in that case the trailer would charging the truck's battery, rather than running it down. There are many brands, generally called something like Automatic Charging Relays when offered for marine and RV applications.

For the minimum-cost and least-intrusive option, you could even mount the classic $20 cutoff relay (as you would normally use in a trailer battery charge circuit in the truck) on the trailer, and control it from the tail light circuit. Presumably you don't leave the truck's lights on when you park...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #27

To get around my "live wire" truck hookup I installed a plug guard on the box front where I disconnect and store the trailer umbilical cord https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in addition if it is at night at a rest stop I merely transfer the cord from the truck to the spare trailer 7 pin I mounted and wired on the front box which turns on all the trailer lights while leaving my truck lights off https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #28

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
To get around my "live wire" truck hookup I installed a plug guard on the box front where I disconnect and store the trailer umbilical cord https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in addition if it is at night at a rest stop I merely transfer the cord from the truck to the spare trailer 7 pin I mounted and wired on the front box which turns on all the trailer lights while leaving my truck lights off https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
like those ideas..however this camper might also need something to remind a foggy brain in the morning to reattach the 7 pin cable to the tug!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #29

You will have to incorporate a preflight checklist, verify umbilical hook up, check chains and coupler and tires before every start. There have been horror stories over on FGRV of pranksters unlocking the coupler or even removing the sleeve pin. Another reason to use locks on these items, to eliminate easy removal, inadvertent or intentional.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #30

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
trucks

We have a 07 Sequoia towing a 21 escape .This SUV did not come with a trailer towing option . So I had a trailer shop put on a hitch and a 7 way plug .Only to find out that the Black (12volt power and the blue brake line was not powered up ?)
So we added a new 10 ga. wire with a 30 amp fuse and a switch to turn off the black 12 volt power line . The switch works great no problems with a RF prodogy it works like it supposed to .
The Ram V-6 might be the next Truck we buy it has similar hp and torque as my 4.7 v-8 in my Sequoia .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote