21 build list feedback - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
21 build list feedback

We recently sold an Escape 19 so we can upgrade to a 21.

Our build sheet is due in a few days.

1) ...cpaps
The 21 has a fixed double bed location and configuration. Any suggestions for old fart owners who need to sleep with a cpap machine? I assume we'll put a grommet hole in the bottom of an overhead cabinet, so the cpap goes in the cabinet and the power cord droops down through the hole, to a 12 volt receptacle on the wall somewhere above the bed. Has anybody done this and wished they did it differently?

2)
We live in windy country in Montana. Someone told us to get a "water proofed nylon" trailer cover from CalMark, for twice the price of the Escape cover. Any feedback on that?

3)
Windows? Frameless (awning style) or sliding left and right framed? We had the framed windows on our now gone 19' footer. They were fine. Frameless costs more and the advantages aren't obvious. What am I missing?

Thank you all. We're Escape fans. We just want bigger and more better.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Have Escape install a 12v outlet in the front overhead cabinet and put the machine on the shelf over the bed, there is already a standard 120v outlet there. Frameless thermal windows with extra insulation and foam underneath is the recommended winter use set up.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The frameless windows will sweat less since the frame is not exposed to the outside cold temperature which causes frost to form on the inside of the framed windows and when melting, water issues.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
We recently sold an Escape 19 so we can upgrade to a 21.

Our build sheet is due in a few days.

1) ...cpaps
The 21 has a fixed double bed location and configuration. Any suggestions for old fart owners who need to sleep with a cpap machine? I assume we'll put a grommet hole in the bottom of an overhead cabinet, so the cpap goes in the cabinet and the power cord droops down through the hole, to a 12 volt receptacle on the wall somewhere above the bed. Has anybody done this and wished they did it differently?

2)
We live in windy country in Montana. Someone told us to get a "water proofed nylon" trailer cover from CalMark, for twice the price of the Escape cover. Any feedback on that?

3)
Windows? Frameless (awning style) or sliding left and right framed? We had the framed windows on our now gone 19' footer. They were fine. Frameless costs more and the advantages aren't obvious. What am I missing?

Thank you all. We're Escape fans. We just want bigger and more better.
I've considered the 21 Escape and order it with the U dinette option. I would remove the cushions at the back and put a mattress in there place, plus add a short filler to accommodate the 36x80 mattress where the table would normally go to make it a fully size singe bed sleeping area. This should leave two small seating areas on each side for a dinette with a smaller table, yes the dinette cushions would have to be resizes to fix this area. Not sure if Escape would build it this way or not, but if I have to change it it wouldn't be too expensive. I would also ask if Escape would just credit me on the cushions and I could do my own if they don't want to do this small upgrade. Some might not want to make there dining area smaller, for us two eating is all we need.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I've considered the 21 Escape and order it with the U dinette option. I would remove the cushions at the back and put a mattress in there place, plus add a short filler to accommodate the 36x80 mattress where the table would normally go to make it a fully size singe bed sleeping area. This should leave two small seating areas on each side for a dinette with a smaller table, yes the dinette cushions would have to be resizes to fix this area. Not sure if Escape would build it this way or not, but if I have to change it it wouldn't be too expensive. I would also ask if Escape would just credit me on the cushions and I could do my own if they don't want to do this small upgrade. Some might not want to make there dining area smaller, for us two eating is all we need.

trainman
The rear dinette is 48"x86". You're taking 36 inches of that for the bed. That leaves only 10" for your 'small' seating and table. Oh my....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post

1) ...cpaps
I ran 12V & ground lines from below the bed up behind the drivers side corner padding to the shelf, where I mounted a multiple outlet strip (12V cigar type with 2 USB ports) so we can charge our phones, etc overnight.) Also used the same lines to power my TPMS wireless transmitter (mounted under the shelf.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The rear dinette is 48"x86". You're taking 36 inches of that for the bed. That leaves only 10" for your 'small' seating and table. Oh my....
I measured my butt this morning and I need at least 18", looks like I need to re-figure this bed thing, or go on a diet.

trainman
Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
48-36 is 12" not 10"... so use a 30" mattress, and get 18"
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
48-36 is 12" not 10"... so use a 30" mattress, and get 18"
D'OH! I posted at 3:30am, I obviously didn't have enough coffee yet. Oh boy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Measurements

Quote:
D'OH! I posted at 3:30am, I obviously didn't have enough coffee yet. Oh boy.
Two kinds of people in this world. Those who could sleep on a 30 inch mattress and those who haven’t been able to for a long long time. I know where I am at.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Two kinds of people in this world. Those who could sleep on a 30 inch mattress and those who haven’t been able to for a long long time. I know where I am at.
Iowa Dave
Our Casita Independence has two 30" single beds and they work out for us ok, so 30" will do, that will leave 18" for the dinette seat. Also remember the wife and I will still have the large bed, so we can alternate when needed, she would fit on the 30" bed with room to spare. All being said it's just a thought that might work for us.

trainman
Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
For the past 36+ years, my wife and I have shared a 54" wide full bed just fine at home, and that's only 27" each. Extrapolating, if we wanted, we could custom-make a 27" wide mattress for the back of our 21' leaving enough room for a 21" wide dinette seat. But we don't want. We're perfectly happy with our 21' just the way it is with the standard permanent full bed (plus a little extra foot room) and standard full dinette. To each, their own....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote