21' Overall Width - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
21' Overall Width

Escape's website indicates the 21' overall width is 7' 4":
Does anybody know if that includes the awning?
If not what is the overall width including the awning?
Lastly what is the height from the ground to the "meat" of the awning? (the part that's rolled up at the top?)
Thank you
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since the awning is on the top part of the curved body, it does not add any width, but the awning supports do add another 6". If the clearance is that tight, I'd try somewhere else.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
I have just taken some measurements.

91 inches to the "meat" (roller) of the awning (from the ground).
41 inches from the ground to the widest point of the trailer including the awning -- this is the outermost curve of the curved awning support. At this point, the addition to the website's stated width is about 5 inches. The "meat" of the awning is the next-widest point, but it's not as wide as the awning arms at 41" elevation.

The 7' 4" width doesn't include the awning at all, and is at the belly-band. So the width with the awning and its arms is about 7' 9".

We have a tight squeeze where we park Toto, so I had to ask ETI this question last year when setting up Toto's parking pad.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
T&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post

Excellent, thank you for the information. What is the height to the top of the awning?

The area I've been preparing is going to be tight through the gate but based on your info looks like it'll fit with my backup skills being the ultimate determining factor. I'm OK taking it slow which will surely take me a while to get Olaf backed in the first few times.

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

93 1/2 inches to the top of the rolled-up awning.

I can relate to your tight-parking challenges. My challenge is the same as yours -- the gate is the narrow spot. As you say, patience, and the willingness to keep trying until you're in safely, are the keys.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0729.JPG  
Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
T&R

That does look "snug", especially the clearance around the downspout. What is the inside width of your gate opening?

Also would you mind measuring the outside track width of the tires? Roughly outside sidewall to sidewall would be great.

An advantage I have is I can adjust the final grade of my area as it is all dirt right now. Once I get the trailer home and parked I'll decide what level I want/need the area to be to give me adequate clearance around my gutter & downspout. It should fit as is right now and will ultimately gravel the area but want to wait till I get the trailer home to figure out final grade.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

Usable opening width of our gate: 127" (10 feet 7 inches). Toto's outside track: 83" (6 feet 11 inches). Stomach acid produced by presence of looming rain gutter: unlimited.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Also would you mind measuring the outside track width of the tires? Roughly outside sidewall to sidewall would be great.
i'd be curious about this too

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
T&R

Quote:
Usable opening width of our gate: 127" (10 feet 7 inches). Toto's outside track: 83" (6 feet 11 inches). Stomach acid produced by presence of looming rain gutter: unlimited.
Thank you. Kudos on your backing skills! My gate opening is 124" but look to have more clearance around my gutter. We'll see!!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #10

Quote:

41 inches from the ground to the widest point of the trailer including the awning -- this is the outermost curve of the curved awning support. At this point, the addition to the website's stated width is about 5 inches. The "meat" of the awning is the next-widest point, but it's not as wide as the awning arms at 41" elevation.

The 7' 4" width doesn't include the awning at all, and is at the belly-band. So the width with the awning and its arms is about 7' 9".

We have a tight squeeze where we park Toto, so I had to ask ETI this question last year when setting up Toto's parking pad.
I am advised by ETI that on the 2017 21'... it isn't any wider, overall, but it is more square, so it is wider than before at the top.

They'll post photos in about a month-ish of the 2017 21'
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I am advised by ETI that on the 2017 21'... it isn't any wider, overall, but it is more square, so it is wider than before at the top.

This will be the same as for the 17' and 19': instead of the walls being sloped inward toward the roof and floor, they are vertical until they curve around the corners.

Yes, this makes the body wider at the top (and bottom), but the awning is recessed and has no vertical arms, solving one clearance issue.

Quote:
For those worried about width at the tires, I note that Reace mentioned that with the wider bottom of the body, the frame and track were being widened to match... about four inches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:

I periodically ask Sarah how the 21 is doing in terms of coming up to take photos. The day after she tells me it's out on display I'll be there taking a bazillion photos of the inside and outside. And maybe underneath and on top!

And then posting one of my long threads with tons of photos and commentary. Since we're getting the 21 ourselves (2017 version) I plan to take some measurements of various areas of the trailer. Dirk's going with and he'll be my scribe. Plus, he always notices stuff that I don't. Like mechanical and electrical things. I notice stuff like how the propane tanks knob thingies matched the lime green graphics of a trailer on the lot. Dirk never would have noticed that.

So, stay tuned for that. And you know I'll post way more photos than ETI ever will!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I periodically ask Sarah how the 21 is doing in terms of coming up to take photos. The day after she tells me it's out on display I'll be there taking a bazillion photos of the inside and outside. And maybe underneath and on top!

And then posting one of my long threads with tons of photos and commentary. Since we're getting the 21 ourselves (2017 version) I plan to take some measurements of various areas of the trailer. Dirk's going with and he'll be my scribe. Plus, he always notices stuff that I don't. Like mechanical and electrical things. I notice stuff like how the propane tanks knob thingies matched the lime green graphics of a trailer on the lot. Dirk never would have noticed that.

So, stay tuned for that. And you know I'll post way more photos than ETI ever will!
We're all counting on you, Laura. Please get a shot of the newly raised floor of the dinette and if possible measure the distance from the floor to the top of the rails that support the table when lowered as a bed. Thanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:

awesome - thanks so much!!!

I am especially interested in the overall height (WITH HVAC, but with no high lift axle setup) and the overall width.

It will be 'cozy' where we park it

Old 05-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Please get a shot of the newly raised floor of the dinette and if possible measure the distance from the floor to the top of the rails that support the table when lowered as a bed. Thanks.
Quote:
I am especially interested in the overall height (WITH HVAC, but with no high lift axle setup) and the overall width.
Started a new thread about this. Much easier that way (for me, at least).

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post145126
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #16
T&R

Quote:
Thank you. Kudos on your backing skills! My gate opening is 124" but look to have more clearance around my gutter. We'll see!!
I'm not sure how I came up with my gate opening being 124". It ended up being 115" (9' 7"). I did position the hinges on the front side of the gate post to give me more room which I'm glad I did. Our 21 Classic fits just fine with inches to spare. Once past the gate post it does open up a few more inches. Here's Olaf snuggled in.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #17

Quote:

I am told that the display 21' should be done by end of July.

(Or so)