21 put to bed` - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
21 put to bed`

Well it's been a great first year camping with the 21. Everything worked fine and was able to fit in some fairly tight spots in the national forests here in Montana, no people close by!! The trailer handled the gravel roads well and it didn't suck much dust inside which was great. If you ever drove 20 miles of fs roads in the summer you know what I mean.I put a good coat of maguire's premium boat wax on; blew out the water lines; added rv antifreeze down the p-traps and pulled the 2 6 volt battries and put them on a maintainer in the garage. I added a heavy chain thru the wheels, a good coupler lock, locked the tow chains together and tilted it back for water run off. Inside we removed sheets from bed and stacked cushions on table and have a couple of dri-ez sitting on counters. I can't wait till I retire next year and have the time to go on some extended adventures and not have to get back home to go to work. Have a nice winter and Holidays everybody!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0155.jpg  
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Looks like you checked all the boxes. I put the stabilizers down after someone mentioned that to me. Thinking it best for the tires? We'll see.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Our 21 is headed for storage tomorrow and I have really given it a thorough cleaning and going over. I didn't get time to wax it, but with it being in a climate controlled area I guess it can wait until next spring. The batteries needed very little water so I topped them off but chose to leave them in the trailer with plans to drag it out every couple of months or so. The battery disconnect will get flipped, so nothing in the trailer can draw on them. The one thing I didn't get done yet was to check the burner on the fridge. Kind of hard to figure out with no specific instructions in the owners manual. I will do some research online and in the meanwhile, some experienced Escape owner might chime in on this one and help me out. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Good report. Escapes must be pretty tight to keep dust out on MT back roads in the summer.
We plan to use ours the same way as you do boondocking.

Nice rainbow in the background. My larch needles are about 75% gone today. Yours are still mostly intact. Do you plan to cover your 21 or just brush snow off periodically? I was thinking of building a large rv cover style pole barn (no sides) to keep my various trailers protected from snow and tree debris. I am not as out in the open you appear to be.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm glad you become part of the Escape family Bob...
Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I was thinking of building a large rv cover style pole barn (no sides) to keep my various trailers protected from snow and tree debris.
When I added a bay onto my existing pole barn I added sides on the south and west for protection from sun and storms so I could work on the rig during winter; it stays plugged in so it's great to work inside a warm trailer! Also made the opening 14 ft high so no problem with clearance!
Attached Thumbnails
Felicity_Shop.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very nice setup, Charlie.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
When I added a bay onto my existing pole barn I added sides on the south and west for protection from sun and storms so I could work on the rig during winter; it stays plugged in so it's great to work inside a warm trailer! Also made the opening 14 ft high so no problem with clearance!
Charlie,
I was going to build a standalone but having problems placing it on my sloped lot.
You got me thinking I may be able to extend the roofline on one end of my shop to do something similar to your addition. I was thinking 12' high but 14' might be better.
I cannot use the drive thru pictured on the left b/c it is only 9'2". So much for plans.
Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0429.JPG  
Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Charlie,
I was going to build a standalone but having problems placing it on my sloped lot.
You got me thinking I may be able to extend the roofline on one end of my shop to do something similar to your addition. I was thinking 12' high but 14' might be better.
I cannot use the drive thru pictured on the left b/c it is only 9'2". So much for plans.
Thanks for the idea.
You could do a hip-out on that side fairy inexpensively. With the building you have I'd go with the 12 foot as it would be less roof work.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You could do a hip-out on that side fairy inexpensively. With the building you have I'd go with the 12 foot as it would be less roof work.
There is a 6' drop off on the left hand side drive thru and rhs is embedded in the slope so sides are out of the question. I was thinking I could add on the other end with a 16-20' extension of the roof line dropped a foot or 2 below the 24" outlooks. When you said hip-out I thought you meant a hip style roof off the end. That may be a way also as that could join with the existing roof line. Time to consult my builder friend that designed and framed it for me.

I feel as though I have stolen the OPs thread. Not my intent at all. I will stop here and thank you again for the suggestions.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
RWS

I just carefully broom it off if snow gets to deep. My system worked out good last winter. I sure wish I could build a shelter for it.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
and tilted it back for water run off.
I found tongue high allows rain water to run off the awning right over/around where the power lead for my LED awning light strip passes through the body and then right down the curb side dinette window.

I've opted when not camping to park tongue low for water run off as there are fewer windows up front in a 21.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
RWS

I did that last year for those same reasons. I changed this year because there's less for snow to hang up on when sliding off roof, we will see?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
I did that last year for those same reasons. I changed this year because there's less for snow to hang up on when sliding off roof, we will see?
I'm so old I can remember when cars had rain gutters with little gaps designed in for the desired drain location. Duct tape a rain gutter on for the winter?