5.0 Dimensions and Making It a Slide-In - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Re: 5.0 Dimensions and Making It a Slide-In

Which reminds me of the time my buddy hoisted his tent-trailer and planted it on the deck of his 56' converted steel tug to provide accommodation while the tug was being worked on.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0

Before I read your post I saw an ad in this month's (Oct 2012) Trailer Life magazine for www.coachhouserv.com. They build a one piece molded fiberglass motorhome. Basically a fiberglass egg set on a Ford E-450 chassis. The site doesn't state any prices except to imply it's expensive.

Seems to me that the Escape 5.0 is a much better set-up.

Tim

onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

RoadTripper,

Sorry if I hurt your feelings or perhaps threw a wet blanket on your idea. My 5.0 is setting just outside my house and I have studied the idea with a open mind this afternoon. When you said slide-in, I took that literally as on and off the back of a pickup rig.

Yes I have seen trailer bodies mounted on barges, trucks, up in trees as deer stands and such. I live not far from deep woods. We are not talking about a new concept idea for Escape Industries. This is a retrofit.

That said, as built the molded fiberglass body is too wide to fit inside the wheel wells. The water tanks and piping hang off the frame and would not support any weight. The frame supports the body and adds ridgidness extending under the loft. That would need to be completely rebuilt. These trailers have a lot of engineering and thought put into them before they leave the factory. They are certified to meet all applicable federal motor vehicle standards as a trailer. Cause an accident with a substandard creation and you will pay a big price. I would say they are built for light weight use and pulled by smaller vehicles. We had a post a few days about going off road with lightweight fiberglass trailers in which I expressed my thoughts and concerns about. Perhaps I put my foot in my mouth.

What I am trying to convey is this. Taking the initial cost of a 5.0, and doing a proper safe conversion, I believe is not a
viable,cost effective project. If you must...go for it!

I take back what I said about "cutting back on the beer". Many goofy ideas start with the consumption of alcohol.
The Escape Travel Forum is riddled with beer in the discussion as fun.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

There's a fellow on FiberglassRV that's doing something similar, but with a 13' old Boler. I think it's going to be cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BolerTrailer.jpg (123.5 KB, 47 views)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

A few years ago, someone in Texas built the RoadHippo as an expedition vehicle, using a Casita 17. Google it. I never saw it in person but I understand it came out very nice. There are some similar projects over at expeditionportal.com.

RT, if you are still interested, I can take some measurements for you.

Marv
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim
Before I read your post I saw an ad in this month's (Oct 2012) Trailer Life magazine for www.coachhouserv.com. They build a one piece molded fiberglass motorhome. Basically a fiberglass egg set on a Ford E-450 chassis. The site doesn't state any prices except to imply it's expensive.

Seems to me that the Escape 5.0 is a much better set-up.

Tim
The friends we are travelling with right now have the smallest 21' version. A very well built and appointed unit, but with many shortcomings too. Little storage space, quit crowded inside given all they pack into it, bed is quite small, and the water heater is electric only which tends to keep them on-grid for the most part. They plan to upsize to a diesel powered Winnebago in the 25' size. Again, not my cup of wax, but if it is what gets them out........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin
A few years ago, someone in Texas built the RoadHippo as an expedition vehicle, using a Casita 17. Google it. I never saw it in person but I understand it came out very nice. There are some similar projects over at expeditionportal.com.

RT, if you are still interested, I can take some measurements for you.

Marv
The RoadHippo, or something quite similar to it, was one of the RVs that got me thinking about modifying the 5.0.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could measure your RV and post the rough dimensions of A to B, B to C, and C to D, where A, B, C, and D are as follows based on the drawing below:

-------\
A B\
\
--------------
C D

I know that the drawing is pretty rough, but A to B is that part of the underside of the 5.0 that houses the bed, B to C is where the staircase (and I think propane tanks) resides, and C to D is the remainder of the 5.0.

Thanks do very much.
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

Okay, sorry this took so long; I just got access to the trailer.

A-B. 67"
B-C. 44"
C-D. 168"
A-D. 238"

Notes:
A represents the most forward surface of the trailer body, ignoring the pin box, which I presume will be removed.

C-D is measured along the bottom surface of the frame rails. Some stuff hangs below the rails (mostly plumbing). If you were going to set the unit on a completely flat surface, you would want to provide raised points about 6" high for the frame rails to sit on. This would increase B-C to around 50". Or, of course you could relocate the plumbing.

C-D includes the rear bumper and spare tire. You could remove them and save about 18".

A-D is max overall length.

Good luck on the project and keep in touch.

Marv
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin
Okay, sorry this took so long; I just got access to the trailer.

A-B. 67"
B-C. 44"
C-D. 168"
A-D. 238"

Notes:
A represents the most forward surface of the trailer body, ignoring the pin box, which I presume will be removed.

C-D is measured along the bottom surface of the frame rails. Some stuff hangs below the rails (mostly plumbing). If you were going to set the unit on a completely flat surface, you would want to provide raised points about 6" high for the frame rails to sit on. This would increase B-C to around 50". Or, of course you could relocate the plumbing.

C-D includes the rear bumper and spare tire. You could remove them and save about 18".

A-D is max overall length.

Good luck on the project and keep in touch.

Marv
Thank you for taking these measurements and posting them. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.

RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote