5.0TA Checklists Proof Reading Needed Please - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
5.0TA Checklists Proof Reading Needed Please

I've been working on some checklists for my 5.0TA Wild Thing and would appreciate your comments/additions/insights/corrections etc. I know everyone does things a bit differently and not all options apply to everyone but please let me know your feedback on these. I'll be happy to share them in an editable form for anyone to use and modify once they have been proofed! Thank you in advance!!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
What about check to ensure outside vent flap is clicked closed...bet u have this on another list.
I would appreciate being able to download this check list..very well done!
Glen adds...dog is not tied to bumper...that is such a bad joke!!!!
Marta
Martak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Hitching Up checklist, I would reverse "pull test" with "partially retract landing gear", do this to put weight on the hitch. The way it is now, you are pulling the trailer (pull test) with full weight on the landing gear and not on the hitch, damage will occur.
After the pull test fully retract the gear.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #4

Hi Chris, thank you for your feedback. Yes, partially retracting the landing gear (1" or less) is listed as the first step of the "Pull Test Checklist" for the reasons you outline. I will make the point more clear in the "Hitching Up Checklist".
Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martak View Post
What about check to ensure outside vent flap is clicked closed...bet u have this on another list.
I would appreciate being able to download this check list..very well done!
Glen adds...dog is not tied to bumper...that is such a bad joke!!!!
Marta
Thank you for the feedback Marta. I did have that vent closure earlier but it must have been removed when I reformatted. I appreciate your help! I will post the lists once they have been proofed a bit more. I'm glad Glen is taking good care of those pooches!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like this one.
"Always Set Truck Emergency Brake & Turn Truck Off when performing visual checks"
Being distracted I got out of the truck one time with it running and missed putting it in park. I was almost single again after that one.

We don't use a written checklist, as such an important item for us is doing a walk around just before you pull away after hooking up. Doesn't take much of a distraction to miss something.

Your lists will hopefully negate the need for such.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Great check lists I too would like to copy or print them!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Whether you use a checklist or not, I've found that the most important thing to remember is to do a final walkaround check when you're about to head out. Make it the last thing you do before getting in the vehicle, no matter how many times you've done it, and even if you're certain you have done everything.

I've caught some of my dumba** mistakes two or three times with a final walkaround.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Whether you use a checklist or not, I've found that the most important thing to remember is to do a final walkaround check when you're about to head out. Make it the last thing you do before getting in the vehicle, no matter how many times you've done it, and even if you're certain you have done everything.

I've caught some of my dumba** mistakes two or three times with a final walkaround.
We both do the walk around as a double check. Rarely is anything missed by the first person, but you never know......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
On your inside checklist:
  • You might want to add a check to ensure that the refrigerator is operating in your desired travel mode (whatever that might be, including perhaps shut off).

On your outside checklist:
  • If you shut the propane tanks while towing you might want that as an additional item (or perhaps only if going on a ferry or through a tunnel).
  • I assume that there are no antennas, flag poles, solar panels, or similar items to stow or secure.
  • Do you have outside storage access doors to be locked?
  • It may be too obvious to list, but how about "awning retracted"?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your feedback. Bob, I'm glad you came away unscathed from that incident, it's a good thing you are nimble! It's so easy to forget something important and since I'll be traveling solo and won't have the benefit of another pair of eyes, I'm trying to be over cautious from the start and build some good habits (maybe this will offset some of my other bad habits Brian, I like your idea of adding the awning retraction and fridge check. I thought I had them in there but guess they were only in my head. I'll make some updates then repost in word format for any who wants to use them or modify. Thank you again!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't forget, "locate check lists".

I decided I didn't need to refer to winterization instructions and forgot to run my water pump. Here's hoping it made it through the light overnight freeze we had recently.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't forget, "locate check lists".

I decided I didn't need to refer to winterization instructions and forgot to run my water pump. Here's hoping it made it through the light overnight freeze we had recently.
You've got that right! I think I'll laminate them and put them on a ring by the door! I also forgot to run the pump when I did the blow-out winterization. I found the lines around the pump full of ice two days later. Thawed them out and ran pink stuff through. It was no big deal with the winterizing T-Valve...I should have done that to begin with!:
Now I'm all set till I get below the freeze line...leaving for Tucson in 5 days...
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
One minor thing on the "Hitching Up" checklist that could be made more clear - I believe it's a common recommendation to turn the tow vehicle's ignition switch off before connecting the 7-pin power cable. Then turn the ignition switch back on to test the connection and lights.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
One minor thing on the "Hitching Up" checklist that could be made more clear - I believe it's a common recommendation to turn the tow vehicle's ignition switch off before connecting the 7-pin power cable. Then turn the ignition switch back on to test the connection and lights.
Thank you...I haven't heard that distinction before.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What would be the purpose of doing this?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What would be the purpose of doing this?
I guess to prevent accidental electrical arcing from misalignment. Or maybe help guard against blown fuses from a sudden electrical surge when plugging in to a "hot" receptacle. When the ETI trailer delivery guy was helping me hitch up our just delivered 21' for the first time, he reminded me to do that, too. So apparently I'm not the only one who picked that up from somewhere.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
When arriving at a site, we check the site all the way back for anything that does not belong. We also use a tester at the pedestal before backing in.

When leaving and we think we have everything done, after the walk-around, we pull the trailer out of the spot a little ways away and then walk back and walk the site.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Yes, we do this. We back up and get the coupler on the ball, then turn off the tow vehicle and do the rest of the hitching. Eventually we turn the TV on again to check the lights.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not heard of this before, guess it depends on how cautious one is.

I can see where someone delivering brand new trailers would be on the careful side.