50ta things to consider when ordering. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5ota
50ta things to consider when ordering.

If you get raised axle consider a 24 inch wide two step. They install 18 inch one step. Can't find 18 inch wide two step for replacement. Have to cut and weld to install 24 inch.

If you get u shaped dinette consider back seat as two cushion piece with lid made into 2 sections. To get to space under seat you have to remove 2 side cushions and one long cushion and throw the long one up on the bed to get it out of the way.
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If they have changed the standard step this may not apply.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...step-3967.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfaulkner00 View Post
If you get raised axle consider a 24 inch wide two step. They install 18 inch one step. Can't find 18 inch wide two step for replacement. Have to cut and weld to install 24 inch.

If you get u shaped dinette consider back seat as two cushion piece with lid made into 2 sections. To get to space under seat you have to remove 2 side cushions and one long cushion and throw the long one up on the bed to get it out of the way.
We purchased a portable adjustable step (similar to this, but much better looking) for the 5th wheel we owned from 2004-06, It works great with our late 2018 5.0. No need to cut and weld.

On the build sheet we requested the u-shaped dinette back cushion as well as the bottom cushion to be split in two. This should be standard with the u-shaped dinette. However they did not split the bottom plywood hatch in two so on the maiden trip we had to take both bottom cushions off to get to the storage underneath. Before we left in January I removed the plywood hatch, cut it in half and added two more hinges. Easy-peasy to remove just one cushion to get at the storage underneath, and go there quite often.

Our town of 750 residents now has two 2018 5.0 Escapes. After seeing our 5.0 in Mesa this winte, friends sold their Scamp 5th and purchased a like-new 5.0 with the u-shaped dinette. They plan on getting cushion material from Escape and having their long cushions split.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Yes, there are work arounds. But wouldn't it have better to have done it right the first time.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

Trailer: ?
“On the build sheet we requested the u-shaped dinette back cushion as well as the bottom cushion to be split in two. This should be standard with the u-shaped...”

Wish I had thought about that on our 21’. It would make checking the batteries much easier.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #6

another thing:
the light in bathroom they didn't locate properly. there is a bulge on the roof to install light over mirror but the installer didn't seem to care. they mounted wrong spot, wrong way for switch and light. same for switch for fan vent. No common sense used in mounting.

they have a lot of wasted space in the 5.0ta design. I miss my northern lite camper layout. Maybe the creators at NorthLite will work on space efficiency.
To late for me but maybe better for future buyers.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA current
I'm considering replacing the step on my 5.0 TA with this from Torklift.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep

I would use the two step version.

It comes in 21 inch width which should fit with a bit of shimming.

cheers
Fred
Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My light in the bath is installed right inside the door for easy access, seems good to me.

I also took it upon myself to maximize storage for way cheaper and better than Escape could do, and saved a lot of money doing so. I know everyone is not capable of this, but boy did it work out great for us. Something to think about for those with the tools and knowledge.

I guess too that we all use our trailers differently.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Gary I like the idea of having the two piece cushion and separate openings for the back bench in a u-shape dinette however for as little as I need to access that space (normally just checking battery level which will be eliminated if I replace with AGM) I don't find it inconvenient to put cushion and back piece on the bed.

As far as storage goes we still after a year have not used all the space which is considerably more than we had in our old single axle 5.0. Even going away for some time and needing multi seasons of clothes we've not used all the areas available. Perhaps we're more minimalist than some
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i like the idea of a split cushion on the back its hard to open that rear seat area.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

on my rig there is a circuit breaker underneath the bench also. one time it tripped I had to take the 2 corner cushions out throw up on bed, take the long cushion out throw it up on the bed to get it out of way before you can lift up the lid.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
on my rig there is a circuit breaker underneath the bench also. one time it tripped I had to take the 2 corner cushions out throw up on bed, take the long cushion out throw it up on the bed to get it out of way before you can lift up the lid.
Dang. I did not know that moving the cushions would make one sick?....
Old 08-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
depends on the print on the cushion some make me sick!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

I prefer a light to shine on my face and mirror, not the bald spot on the back of my head. I had to order another light and mount above the mirror like it should have been.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by flew View Post
I'm considering replacing the step on my 5.0 TA with this from Torklift.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep

I would use the two step version.
It comes in 21 inch width which should fit with a bit of shimming.
Fred
I had to go with the lift on my 5.0 for my truck. When I asked, I was told the step setup used by ETI is "standard" so the two-step Glowstep is on my list for a future mod.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My light in the bath is installed right inside the door for easy access, seems good to me.

I also took it upon myself to maximize storage for way cheaper and better than Escape could do, and saved a lot of money doing so. I know everyone is not capable of this, but boy did it work out great for us. Something to think about for those with the tools and knowledge.

I guess too that we all use our trailers differently.
Carful, there might be a line of Escapes waiting in your driveway 😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
another thing:
the light in bathroom they didn't locate properly. there is a bulge on the roof to install light over mirror but the installer didn't seem to care. they mounted wrong spot, wrong way for switch and light. same for switch for fan vent. No common sense used in mounting.

they have a lot of wasted space in the 5.0ta design. I miss my northern lite camper layout. Maybe the creators at NorthLite will work on space efficiency.
To late for me but maybe better for future buyers.
🤔A few of us think they did OK. If it was perfect (and perfection depends on who’s looking at it) what would keep me busy when I’m not using my 5.0? The fan vent switch is on the vent, where did they put yours?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Carful, there might be a line of Escapes waiting in your driveway [emoji16]
I'm broken!

Besides, I am now 3 months behind on getting work kinda stuff done, but starting to do lots of moderate stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #19

The switch is on the vent. It is positioned next to the wall. Harder for short people to reach. If they had rotated the unit 180 degrees it would have placed the switch farther away from wall and been easier to reach. It works as is but would have been more practical. Same goes for bath light. Bath enclosure has a place to put light over mirror but installer placed fixture at different spot.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It may be possible to rotate the fan to where you want it as well as remove and rotate the light 90 degrees. There is one on hole for the wires and the mounting screw holes can easily be covered.