90 Degree Entry Door - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did not say a different door, the door is the same but it now has a stop attached at the bottom, remove this stop and it will open like the conventional door, except now you need a conventional holder we all have , the white plastic hold back on the body and door exterior. Escape still has those holder available.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 21
If it helps the beer entry towards the refrigerator on a hot summer day, than it is worth it.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did not say a different door, the door is the same but it now has a stop attached at the bottom, remove this stop and it will open like the conventional door, except now you need a conventional holder we all have , the white plastic hold back on the body and door exterior. Escape still has those holder available.
Maybe I am beating a dead horse, but I truly disliked the door when I saw it, then loved it after using it for 5 weeks. I like best that I can reach out to open and close it without getting out of the trailer. I also like that it doesn't cover the window. It never blew closed in even the biggest of winds. So, I suggest if you haven't actually tried it yet - you might be surprised.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #44

Yes, I agree that sometimes change is good, I'll have at least 2 weeks use with it at 90 degrees before getting home and then I'll decide.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
If it helps the beer entry towards the refrigerator on a hot summer day, than it is worth it.
Yes, the 90 degree door is much easier to carry a full case of beer into and out of the camper. You just open the door latch and the door opens automatically for you, so you have less chance of dropping your precious cargo. Being the door only opens 90 degrees, if you've had too much to drink, the door won't get away from you, banging into the camper, you won't fall off the step trying to grab and close a 180 degree door with latch, and when you lose your footing going out, it will help guide you to the ground.

Like Tam2004, we also have five weeks with the door and really appreciate the fact it doesn't open 180 degrees. It opens automatically, is right there, next to your step, easy to grab to close, has yet to be in the way, don't have to use those damn outside clips to keep the door open, and at least once helped guide me to the ground (we're wine drinkers).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Technique

Let me direct you to an imbibing technique that is far less dangerous than going in and out of a camper with stairs. An adequate supply of beverages is stockpiled outside of the camper. Comfortable chair located and set up. Imbibing proceeds until a condition called stupor is reached. Deep relaxation sometimes called sleep, other times called passing out ensues. When the coma ends the subject wakes up, looks around and wobbles off for an at grade restroom. Steps are to be avoided at all cost and caution. Promises made like “ i will be in shortly, I will bring your chair back to you, I will watch your cooler” are null and void when this technique is used.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
87A745C5-4E33-4D07-86B5-D221905118C1.jpg  
Old 12-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 17B 2019
Nice to hear people are finding the new doors work well and are helpful to carry beer. I was wondering if it would be in contact with the awning when it is open?
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 17B
Good question but I can't answer it. We opted for the manual awning and haven't it out yet.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Nice to hear people are finding the new doors work well and are helpful to carry beer. I was wondering if it would be in contact with the awning when it is open?
A door should never be in contact with the awning! We have the manual awning. The 90 degree door is the same as any other door. It is just held open at 90 degrees. If your door contacts the awning you've set out your awning incorrectly.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #50

I think the question may have to do with the fact that the 90 degree door, when open is higher than if it was against the wall, thus when opening and closing the manual awning you may have to keep the door shut.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #51

Quote:
I think the question may have to do with the fact that the 90 degree door, when open is higher than if it was against the wall, thus when opening and closing the manual awning you may have to keep the door shut.
I suppose we keep the door shut when deploying the awning. Never really thought about it. We fully deployed the awning at least 10 times on our maiden voyage and otherwise ran it out 4 feet most of our stays. I just don't remember the door being in the way, so probably had it closed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #52

I believe it will hit because when deploying and retracting, the awning is at it's lowest position before you raise the arms up, the open door will contact the awning at that position.....
Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #53

Quote:
I believe it will hit because when deploying and retracting, the awning is at it's lowest position before you raise the arms up, the open door will contact the awning at that position.....
Yes it will, but we learn quickly, and that's probably why we don't remember this as a real problem. I believe those with the 90 degree door won't find this as a real problem either.

I've always disliked the 180 degree door that you have to go outside on the ground to disconnect the catch. I've tried both and currently prefer our supplied 90 degree door. Sometimes people have different tastes and if one doesn't like the 90 degree door they can simply remove the mechanism and have a conventional door (after you install a catch).

I've also ran into a couple of people who swear at their friction door. One felt the door was too hard to open (I opened it and agreed) and another said their door got looser over time and now they need the catch. You can't please everyone.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #54

No argument, no straw man, just an owner who has been there before you with just a heads up.....
Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
The 90 degree door discussion was really pretty good. The bottom line for me was I thought I would hate it - then ended up loving it - I stated why before. Was there anyone out there who thought they would love it and then ended up hating it and why?
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #56

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
The 90 degree door discussion was really pretty good. The bottom line for me was I thought I would hate it - then ended up loving it - I stated why before. Was there anyone out there who thought they would love it and then ended up hating it and why?
I don't like it. I had the friction door, and now have the 90 degree door. I much preferred the friction door. The 90 degree door blocks the view, but I dislike the screen even more. There is a brush type material at the bottom of the screen door to allow for the closing piston. When the door is open and the screen is closed, that material doesn't lay down like it should, leaving gaps for bugs to come in.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote