A Little Different U-Shape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
A Little Different U-Shape

Not sure where I got this idea. Maybe something said in another thread. We had decided on a U-shaped dinette in our 21 due next spring because we liked the smaller table and the enhanced lounging aspect of the U-shape but we knew we would likely never sit in the rear part of the U. Also, I didn't like having the batteries all the way in the back part of the U for access reasons mainly. So I presented this idea to Sarah and she said it's doable. We will get the standard dinette with the large table. Escape will cut the rear end off the table to yield a U dinette table and the cut off end will function as a filler board resting on the bed rails at the rear of the trailer. Sarah said she would get a quote for a custom cushion to fit the board and we can just use some throw pillows for the back. Throw in a Springfield pedestal and all's right with the world.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is an idea I have been tossing about too, but am now thinking to keep the bench but have it real narrow, but allow the electric/electronic stuff to be mounted in there. The cushion on it (as would be the one on your filler board) is nothing but a footrest anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have thought about the same thing. You will need to pin the table end used as a filler board to the rails so it won't go flying but that is a good alternative and gives you flexibility.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Although I have a standard dinette which I love and wouldn't change, I think that this different U-shape dinette is a better design and at least as functional as the standard U-shape dinette.

Congratulations!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The cushion on it (as would be the one on your filler board) is nothing but a footrest anyway.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Although I have a standard dinette which I love and wouldn't change, I think that this different U-shape dinette is a better design and at least as functional as the standard U-shape dinette.

Congratulations!
Thanks, Karen.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have thought about the same thing. You will need to pin the table end used as a filler board to the rails so it won't go flying but that is a good alternative and gives you flexibility.
Yeah, there's really no reason not to permanently attach the board.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Yeah, there's really no reason not to permanently attach the board.
Or you could just use a couple of Velcro strips to keep it secure during transit as you may have a reason to remove it at times.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: stephen99... I cut a 12" filler board for our U dinette. I remove the back table leg and the front one has to be lowered through a round hole I cut at the front of the board. I cut the hole before I cut the board so it fits around 3/4ths. of the leg under the table. The table top now swivels and is very stable and secure. The two 12" corner cushions fit snug over the board. Nice foot rest for $10.00 Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
. . . thinking to keep the bench but have it real narrow . . .
That's sort of what we ended up with by default. Our (purchased used) 17B had the gaucho bunk option, which we didn't need and so removed. We were left with a narrow bench across the front of the trailer, in the two-seater dinette, which makes a short-term serviceable, if too shallow for comfortable longer-term use (it's only around 30 cm deep) extra seat if the table is removed.

In our case, not too practical, but I can see the attraction of the idea if scaled up for the regular dinette.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Not sure where I got this idea. Maybe something said in another thread. We had decided on a U-shaped dinette in our 21 due next spring because we liked the smaller table and the enhanced lounging aspect of the U-shape but we knew we would likely never sit in the rear part of the U. Also, I didn't like having the batteries all the way in the back part of the U for access reasons mainly. So I presented this idea to Sarah and she said it's doable. We will get the standard dinette with the large table. Escape will cut the rear end off the table to yield a U dinette table and the cut off end will function as a filler board resting on the bed rails at the rear of the trailer. Sarah said she would get a quote for a custom cushion to fit the board and we can just use some throw pillows for the back. Throw in a Springfield pedestal and all's right with the world.
I think this is a good idea. We have thought about adding a 1X12 board between the seats, just to put our feet on, or perhaps to use a book shelf. We are also thinking of cutting the front end of the table off a bit just so it is a bit easier to slide in and out of the dinette.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
..... or perhaps to use a book shelf.
This is Lisa's only reason for wanting a U-shaped dinette, is a place to put stuff in use on, stuff that does not always very put away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We are picking up our 19 this month. We had a filler board made with cushions to make a U-shaped lounge area with the standard table removed. We had the flush mount table bases installed in a raised dinette. I am hoping to be able to make a small round table mounted on one pole to use with the lounge area.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm having a hard time picturing this change it sounds like a u shaped dinette? whats different?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing this change it sounds like a u shaped dinette? whats different?
No bench under. Just the filter board and cushion.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
We are picking up our 19 this month. We had a filler board made with cushions to make a U-shaped lounge area with the standard table removed. We had the flush mount table bases installed in a raised dinette. I am hoping to be able to make a small round table mounted on one pole to use with the lounge area.
When you get your trailer, can you please post a picture of this change? Thanks!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
When you get your trailer, can you please post a picture of this change? Thanks!
matzam29, Picture the standard dinette. Remove the tabletop and pedestals. Now picture a board 12" deep and cut to the width necessary to span across the back, from bench lip to bench lip. Cover this board with foam and fabric, and you have created a 'Lounge' that can be converted back to a standard dinette. The factory installed U-Shaped dinette has a permanent rear bench and the tabletop has been shortened to make room for the permanent rear bench.
Also, in a 21 and 5.0TA the batteries are placed under the rear bench of the factory installed U-Shaped dinette. In the modified U-Shape described above, the batteries remain under the curb side dinette bench. Hope this helps

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
matzam29, Picture the standard dinette. Remove the tabletop and pedestals. Now picture a board 12" deep and cut to the width necessary to span across the back, from bench lip to bench lip. Cover this board with foam and fabric, and you have created a 'Lounge' that can be converted back to a standard dinette. The factory installed U-Shaped dinette has a permanent rear bench and the tabletop has been shortened to make room for the permanent rear bench.
Also, in a 21 and 5.0TA the batteries are placed under the rear bench of the factory installed U-Shaped dinette. In the modified U-Shape described above, the batteries remain under the curb side dinette bench. Hope this helps
Yes, people have to decide which they want. With the standard U, we have our batteries, inverter, electrical and more at the back in the bench. We, therefore, have empty space in our side benches where we have many other items. Depends on whether you get various options as to whether you "need" the back bench space.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
Is your filler 12 inches? Would a larger one work? Guess i need to know how long the standard dinette is.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Is your filler 12 inches? Would a larger one work? Guess i need to know how long the standard dinette is.
On my build sheet Sarah shows the filler board as being 15 inches wide. This is on a 21 foot. BTW, the cost of doing the this type of U is $100 to cut and finish tabletop/filler board and $150 for a custom cushion so a total of $250. At least that's how it plays out on my build sheet.