A Shout Out of Thanks to Anne H. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

A Shout Out of Thanks to Anne H.

I would like to Thank Anne H., for graciously allowing us to tour her 'Greyt Escape' while we visiting in her area.
She was Very Helpful and had lots of great information and tips.
Pictures are nice, but seeing is believing.

I'm hoping to have an Escape by next year. I just need to decide which one and what to Tug it with.
The adventure continues....

Best Regards,

TurtleBax

TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

Re: A Shout Out of Thanks to Anne H.

We just put another 8000, kilometers on our escape, a 19, and my wife has learned to love it.

Traveled through Alberta, BC mainland, and the Island, then back to the Yukon.

Will be heading out on the end of August to a get together at Point Roberts.

Costco brought down the price of gas in Courtney to 99 cents a litre, so we purchased 50 or so gallons for our return trip home.

Did one night of urban camping at wall-mart, a couple of nights at commercial sites and the rest of the time in Provincial parks.

Left Whitehorse with two 20 pound bottles of propane, and still have a lot left when we got home.
We have the single 12 volt battery and it lasted the trip.

We are very happy witht the 19.

Two draw backs, I have to crawl over my wife when I get up.

The stabalizer legs on the trailer are barely sufficient, I will be purchasing proper scissors jacks fro princess auto for installation.

The choice should be allowed at the factory, or put on the options list.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape

Two draw backs, I have to crawl over my wife when I get up.

The stabalizer legs on the trailer are barely sufficient, I will be purchasing proper scissors jacks fro princess auto for installation.

The choice should be allowed at the factory, or put on the options list.

Doug
Sleep on the outside edge of the bed.

Ditto on the stabilizer legs. With the high-lift axle, the stock legs are minimal at best. Please post Princess Otto stock numbers if you can.

Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

These are what you need for dual axles to stabilize the trailer
http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

I've used them and they work real well
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

The wheel scissors chocks are good for stabalizing the trailer.

The scissors jacks from Princesas auto will stabalize and also lift the trailer to level it.

I will post the part number when I have it, but Princess auto has an on line catologue.

Doug
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
The wheel scissors chocks are good for stabalizing the trailer.

The scissors jacks from Princesas auto will stabalize and also lift the trailer to level it.

I will post the part number when I have it, but Princess auto has an on line catologue.

Doug
Maybe this is the reason Escape doesn't come with scissors jacks! Unless Escape is in favor of leveling the trailer at the ends of the frame, I wouldn't consider it. You may tweak the frame. Leveling is done front to back with the tongue jack and side-to-side at the wheels.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Donna D... I'm with you on this score!!! Stabilizers... are that only... and not for lifting!!! Keeps the rocking motion, to the ocean. Here's a pic of our rig on a level pull thru where we didn't unhook but just stabilized for 4 nites. Our grandaughter had a great time...till her mom came, and my back is feeling much better for it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamic Duo.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #8

You have made the assumption I would put the scissors jacks on the end of the frame, shame on you do not make assumptions.

You say the frame is not made for lifting, question what would you do if you had a flat tire.

You again assume the frame is not sufficiently strong to lift the trailer, like any thing else you should not assume, you plan and get it right. The frame holds the negative weight of the trailer, it should also hold the positive weight.
Consider people hang "stuff" from the bicycle rack, have you ever considered the weight of a couple of bikes, not just the dead weight of the bikes but the weight of the bikes on the end of a six foot arm for leverage.
The frame has to support that when you hit a bump and the trailer bounces, this could be equal to several times the actual weight of the bikes.

Yes the scissors jacks could be used to stabalize the trailer, and if properly placed could be used to lift the trailer, I find this concept more advantageous than carrying a supply of blocks of different dimensions to pull the trailer up on to level it, by trial and error.

From experience on our trips I have found only one or two camp sites that offered a level site.

On our last trip we stopped twice at the factory, (Reece & Tammy were away) Dave informed me that the scissors jack I am refering to are installed on the 5th wheel trailer, that if I wanted Reece could ship me a set, or for a fee have them installed.
The actual work of installing them is not a big deal
I wonder why this is not an option.

Doug

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Near as I can tell, any reasonable request is an option at Escape.
But, if they are to keep costs and weight down, they have to limit their option list and their inventory.
You could probably get a 5 cu. ft. freezer installed, but, I wouldn't expect to find it on the option list.

baglo
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
You say the frame is not made for lifting, question what would you do if you had a flat tire.

On our last trip we stopped twice at the factory, (Reece & Tammy were away) Dave informed me that the scissors jack I am refering to are installed on the 5th wheel trailer, that if I wanted Reece could ship me a set, or for a fee have them installed.
The actual work of installing them is not a big deal
I wonder why this is not an option.

Doug

I didn't say any jack can't be used on the frame, I'd place a jack close to the wheel to change a tire, not close to the jack nor bumper.

Instead of asking us why it's not an option, have you considered asking the manufacturer? After all, those final answers and decisions rest with them... not us.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Near as I can tell, any reasonable request is an option at Escape.
But, if they are to keep costs and weight down, they have to limit their option list and their inventory...

baglo

The problem with limiting their option list but being open to "any reasonable request" is that until one owns the product and has spent time using it,
one doesn't know what to ask for.

ie. stabilizer jacks that are long enough with high-lift axle,
see-thru tinted door window with interior light switch,
etc
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #12

If this was an option I could have thought about it before the build, this would have been better than after the build, and you find out by trial and error.

Doug
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanngord

The problem with limiting their option list but being open to "any reasonable request" is that until one owns the product and has spent time using it,
one doesn't know what to ask for.
Having a longer list of options may just confuse you further if you don't how any of the stuff works or what would work best for you.... I'm not being a contrarian. I think changing things for personal use is what making modifications is all about. There is NO perfect trailer for everyone. No matter which trailer someone choses, only they can make it perfect for them. For instance, I don't want scissors jacks no way, no how because I've seen too many scraped off and laying beside the road. My driveway, for instance would do precisely that. I'd rather carry extra lego blocks for the few times I'd need to provide support on one side or the other. It's obvious, that's a contridiction to someone else's needs. I think Escape tried to reach the greatest amount of people with what choices they've made in building the trailers. But, we all know if you contact Reace and Tammy, they'd love to hear from you regarding how to make the trailers better. YMMV
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

^^^What Donna said^^^

Too many options are just too confusing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
Site Team

I can't help myself.... I've been here since Rease first posted on FiberglassRV and asked "what would you want." He and Tammy listened to the owners of different brands and built the first trailer based on feedback. Since then, there's been great changes... but the one thing that's NEVER changed is the fact they listen to their customers. IF it looks like it would be a good change for MOST of their customers, they initiate it. But one thing that's NEVER changed is their customer service. It is the most stellar in the molded fiberglass industry. And, that's one thing that's not in dispute on any forum... and I belong to seven!

IF and when I can get the trailer of my dreams (5.0) I hope Rease and Tammy load the back end up with so many brochures, I'd scrape the trailer pulling out of driveways

Alf, you are my hero/ You were a died-in-the-wool Boler owner (Tours Light) and look at what you are tugging now!!!!

Back to your regular topic....
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

What is confusing about pointing out something that may be a safety issue (door security) or doesn't work as designed (short stabilizer jacks).

Donna might like to take along buckets of blocks: I would rather not.

Don't get me wrong: after half a dozen different small trailers and truck campers over the last 20 years, Escape approaches perfection. After having the trailer for all of 6 weeks, we have noticed a few of her minor imperfections.

Gord
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Site Team

Gord, have you noticed that an imperfection for some is considered a feature for others...
Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
^^^What Donna said^^^

+2

I have never found any problems with the stabilizer jacks, I toss a piece of 2 x 6 on the ground and crank them down
and they stabilize just fine... I guess thats why they call them stabilizer jacks not levelling jacks which are totally different,
quite often electric or hydraulic and you guessed it used for levelling.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #19

Well four options I ordered everything I could think of and some more. It does get confusing. I use the legos to level the trailer side to side under the tires.
Thank You Donna for clearing us up on this issue.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

[quote=Donna D. ]

IF and when I can get the trailer of my dreams (5.0) I hope Rease and Tammy load the back end up with so many brochures, I'd scrape the trailer pulling out of driveways

When you do get your 5.0, you should get the optional storage box. That way you could distribute the brochures and the weight.

baglo