Adding shocks for rough roads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Question Adding shocks for rough roads

We have an Escape 15B and would like to know if anyone has added extra shocks to their trailer.. We have some rough roads ahead and are wondering if extra shocks would help.
Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hard to tell, each situation is different. In general if I had leaf springs then I'd have shocks.

I've gone on a few roads from Alaska to Baja and Vancouver to Newfoundland. Haven't felt the need for shocks. Only rough road advice that I have is secure cabinet doors so they can't swing open. If they do that might break the hinge.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Only rough road advice that I have is secure cabinet doors so they can't swing open. If they do that might break the hinge.

Ron

Secure the fridge door too, and keep fridge door shelves light.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We had the OMW shock kit installed on our 17 ft Casita by LHC
Seemed to help keep stuff in place - less bounce
We don’t take our trailer off road so I can not give you any advice in that area .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Ditto, installed the shock kit on our Casita which helped keeping everything in place. Casita Shock Absorber Kit
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Thumbs up Decision made

Great info, thank you everyone. We are going to secure everything and go without the shocks. Our friends are getting the casita set on their 17ft casita. We will see if they make a difference.
Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The Escape trailers have Torflex axles. I don’t believe you can add shocks to this style of axle.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
The Escape trailers have Torflex axles. I don’t believe you can add shocks to this style of axle.
Casitas also have torflex axles. Much debate about using shocks with that type of axle. It seems to me that if the torflex axle suspension is too soft, giving a bouncy ride, then shocks would help. But shocks won't soften the ride if the torflex is stiffer than you want.

I think the shelves empty when you hit the initial bump, RR crossing, bridge approach, etc., and the trailer gets jolted upward. Shocks won't change that. When the trailer comes back to earth and goes through some secondary rebounds then shocks could help. It would be good to hear from a knowledgeable Casita owner about the before and after.

I would be hesitant to add the Casita shock brackets to an Escape without careful measurement. The bracket manufacturer says it took multiple iterations to get the design to fit the Casita.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Back in 2014 Jim from Orbital Machine Works (widgetwizard) was exploring the idea of a shock kit for Escapes but it never came to fruition. He is retired now too. The initial discussion was in this thread.

Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
According to Larry Gamble at LHC , the OMW shock absorber mod was most affective when towing on improved roads
Before we had the OMW shock kit installed , we would often find when we arrived at our destination that objects had slid off the bed or countertop and that certain cupboard doors had popped open . After the shocks were installed these problems went away
From what I have heard / been told , the shock kit was not designed for nor is it effective when driving on washboard , deeply rutted NFS roads at 50 MPH
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
According to Larry Gamble at LHC , the OMW shock absorber mod was most affective when towing on improved roads
Before we had the OMW shock kit installed , we would often find when we arrived at our destination that objects had slid off the bed or countertop and that certain cupboard doors had popped open . After the shocks were installed these problems went away
From what I have heard / been told , the shock kit was not designed for nor is it effective when driving on washboard , deeply rutted NFS roads at 50 MPH

heck, I won't take my 4x4 on a deeply rutted NF road at 50 MPH, sure way to break an axle.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote