Advice for potential Escape owner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Smile

Hello Escape Owners,

I'm hoping to go full-time in a 17' TT in the next year (or two) and I have been researching different makes and models. This would be my only home. An Escape is looking like a good option, and I would appreciate hearing from current owners. Please tell me what helped you decide on your rig, what model and floorplan you like; what options/add-ons make the most sense. Do you feel they hold value and condition to the extent that buying used might work for me?

I would be solo with maybe a companion dog. I know I want at least a 17' for ease of towing.

Thanks in advance for your personal experiences, and suggestions.

CateW

I wouldn't choose a 17' for the ease of towing. There isn't much difference between towing a 17 foot trailer & a 21'. In fact, the 17' is more difficult to back up than longer trailers (although that can be handy when backing into a tight site). You do have to choose a tow vehicle capable of handling the weight of what ever trailer you choose.

I travel solo in an Escape 17B (without a dog) and find it adequate. As to the options & add ons, I keep a page at my site of my modifications. Many were not necessary - I like to play...

Get the size that works for you. That may or may not be a 17. There's only a few hundred pounds difference between the sizes, and all are relatively easy to tow with lots of different vehicles.

As for full timing in an Escape, its not recommended by the factory, because many full timers don't take the proper steps to prevent condensation, mold or cleanliness issues that can occur when a trailer is occupied full time vs periodically. I'm not saying you can't full time in one, just that you need to prevent certain problems if you do.

Cate,

I think it you may get better answers/advise if you give us some context.

Such as:
What is your experience level in towing
What is your experience in RVing and/or camping
What is your "style" of camping.
What type of geography/climate do you envision traveling in, especially during the winter months.

Enjoy your research, Larry

Welcome Cate
As you are thinking about fulltiming I believe it would be worth the time and money to take a flight out to Seattle and drive up to the factory to look them all over. Or you can see them sort of local, looking at the Owners Map shows there are 17's, a 19, and a 21, in New England, more or less. If you call Escape they can provide contact info for the owners if they allow such. Pick which trailer you want then find a suitable tow vehicle.

Might also check out Bigfoot and Oliver. Both are 4 season, as opposed to Escape being a 3 season. Both are more weight and more $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateW View Post
I know I want at least a 17' for ease of towing.
I could understand "at least 17' for sufficient space" or "no more than 17' for ease of towing", but I'm not sure that I understand this, because most people assume that smaller is easier to tow... and it is in most ways.

How have you picked your minimum and maximum sizes? The 17' length is a great compromise for many people, but with a little more of your reasoning people might be able to provide more specifically suited comments.

For me, if I were solo with a dog, among Escape models the 17' might be the minimum size, and I would only go larger for storage space (for full-time use and therefore a wide range of stuff).

Unlike some brands, the three Escape models from 17' to 21' are three different widths - longer also gets you wider. The extra of the larger sizes width might be important to you for interior comfort over long periods, but the narrower width of the smaller sizes can make towing easier (less mirror extension needed, more clearance in tight places). If you're set on 17-foot, then this doesn't matter.

Cate,
A small dehumidifier will easily handle any condensation issues, and boiling water on the stove will add moisture in the event your small living space gets too dry. In my opinion, 45-55% is ideal; others may feel otherwise. As far as Escape being a 3 season trailer, that should not be a big concern as nobody in their right mind would stay in Maine over the winter. Again, my opinion as a former New Hampshirite now residing in Florida. For that matter, no one in their right mind would stay in Florida over the summer! Still, I would recommend visiting people willing to show you their trailers to make sure you get one sized to meet your needs and wishes. There is a young woman on FGRV whose online name is Hildaga. She full times in a Scamp 13. She is friendly and pleasant (I met her at Scamp Camp last February in Sebring, FL) You might want to track her down and pick her brain; she may be able to provide you with valuable insight. Good luck with your planned endeavor!

Hi, Cate,
I would only recommend looking at the 21' Escape for full-timing. There should be one you can see in your region. A 17' is possible, of course, but think you would like a 21' much better for full-timing if you can get a suitable tow vehicle.

Do you know about the organization, Escapees? (No connection to Escape trailers). Escapees has all of the info could you possibly need on their forum and they also have mail service and more. It would likely help you to join them or at least read the forum on domicile and other issues.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

By the way, the woman on Fiberglassrv is Hidalga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Hi, Cate,
I would only recommend looking at the 21' Escape for full-timing.
Um, they do make a 19.

Having spent many months in our 19', I would not recommend it for full-timing. There are people who are full-timing in 16' or 17' Casitas or Scamps though and they say they are just fine.

A 21' Escape was not out when they bought their trailers and maybe it would not be in their budget, but that is what I would recommend. I think the space in the 21' would much better suit just about anyone actually living in her or his trailer.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful responses! (Hope it posts my reply this time). I"ll be new to towing and RVing. Lots to learn!! Simple & comfortable is my style. Hope to have a solar panel and large tanks (fresh water, etc.) so I can boondock some. Like to cook on a stove not over a campfire, and want a freezer as well as the frig. section.Will follow the warmth and not spend winter in any states that are snowy and cold. Do want a heater, insulation, and A/C for year around comfort. More advice on preventing mold, keeping systems clean, etc. when full timing will be taken to heart.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
OMG, I totally screwed up Cate's post.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ha, ha, ha, there went a bunch of them! I was just telling Cate about this and then I see the above!

That is my post starting with, "I would only recommend looking at the 21'..." and another post, "Having spent many months..."
Then Cate's after that. The rest of the posts above, others can ID!

Donna, if you can switch CateW with Brian B-P, that would be plenty good.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
WTH??

Well Donna, at least when you screw up, you go big!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Donna,
Get off the bridge right now, and go to Ten-Forward, full-impulse.
Stay there until you're all better!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Unfortunately I can't change the profile information. DUMB DD. I was in a hurry, the phone was ringing and I meant to move Cate's post in another thread to this one, instead clicked Merge........ GRRRRRRR. IF it was early morning, I'd blame lack of coffee.

I'm so sorry Cate...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Cate, you mention the tanks which is another good reason to look at a 21': bigger tanks. That is one of the limits with small trailers and a good thing to check with each one. Good luck and we hope to hear what you get!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unfortunately I can't change the profile information. DUMB DD. I was in a hurry, the phone was ringing and I meant to move Cate's post in another thread to this one, instead clicked Merge........ GRRRRRRR. IF it was early morning, I'd blame lack of coffee.

I'm so sorry Cate...
Or you could blame it on too much dark beer since it's after 2:00 pm!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

Oops. I just noticed I screwed up Hidalga's name. You're not alone Donna!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Well, at least I win today's "longest post" contest

Labels within the merged post would help, but I don't think they're necessary.
Just put a Moderator's note at the beginning of the merged post and it will be fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Well, at least I win today's "longest post" contest

Labels within the merged post would help, but I don't think they're necessary.
Just put a Moderator's note at the beginning of the merged post and it will be fine.
Yeah, I was gonna say something smart-alecky like "wow Brian, didn't know you had a split personality"...
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I (heart) having database access on my forums.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Hi CateW,

We have a 2005 17B and love it. It is perfect for one person (and a dog!). We have a 19 on order but only because the 17B bed, while plenty big for one, is too small for 2 of us plus 3 dogs (small... but still...). We have a 4th dog (big) and in the 17B there isn't really any good place for him to lie down without being in the way (unless we make the front dinette into a bed for him... which we do at times). The 19 will have more space for him.

We have spent weeks at a time in the 17B... other than the issues mentioned above, it has been just great for us. We tend to spend most of our time outside when we're camping.... after all, that's why we camp! My partner and I have discussed that if something were to happen to one of us, the 17B would be perfect for the surviving partner. But hopefully we have many more years of traveling duo, and we're planning on heading away from Maine (Rangeley) for at least a couple months every late winter/early spring to miss mud season... so we figured it was a good time to upgrade.

If you want to have a look at a 17B, let me know and we can arrange a time for you to come see it. Rangeley is about 3 hours from Portland.

We'll be selling the 17B either this fall or next spring. Watch this forum because we'll be posting it on here.

Good luck!

Dolly
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Trailer: researching
Hello again from Cate

Hey Donna...no worries. thanks.
Cathy...appreciate your advice re the 21' with larger tanks. My budget may interfer with my ideal size, however, I'll keep that at the top of the list.
I haven't towed yet or driven an RV but I drove my own 19ft moving van twice. Does that count?
I will take a look at the Escapees forum for info and help as I plan my RVing/retirement future and rig choice.
Is it ok to continue asking questions here?

Happy 4th everyone,
CateW
CateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #15

Trailer: researching
See 17B in Rangelly

Hi Dolly,

I would love to see your 17B! That would be great. Are you taking it out a lot right now on weekends? My only options would be Friday-Sunday to come your way.

Thanks,
CateW
CateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Hi Dolly,

I would love to see your 17B! That would be great. Are you taking it out a lot right now on weekends? My only options would be Friday-Sunday to come your way.

Thanks,
CateW

Ok great! We've got houseguests for the next several weekends. For some reason, no one visits us in winter, but everyone wants to visit in July and August!! Imagine that! Let me get our schedule figured out and I'll PM (personal message) you via this forum. Will be in touch in the next week or so, after firming up upcoming visitors.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey Donna...no worries. thanks.
Cathy...appreciate your advice re the 21' with larger tanks. My budget may interfer with my ideal size, however, I'll keep that at the top of the list.
I haven't towed yet or driven an RV but I drove my own 19ft moving van twice. Does that count?
I will take a look at the Escapees forum for info and help as I plan my RVing/retirement future and rig choice.
Is it ok to continue asking questions here?

Happy 4th everyone,
CateW
Ask all of the questions you want, Cate! We have lots of answers. They might not always be right but we have them.. I also sent a pm.

Yes, your moving van counts!

Of course, budget restricts most of us but you can get likely get something that is perfect for you.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19
Hi Cate

I made the decision to get the 19ft. Initially, I was going with 17b. But as I added the options I wanted, like perm bed, etc. the price just kept going up, so I started looking at the other models. The 19 seemed perfect for options I wanted; had 4 tires rather than two under it, queen bed, larger dining area, more cabinet space, fit the weight limits for my Ridgeline. all in all just a better fit for me...

Everyone has their own reasons, whether tv limits, or need to have easy access out of bed, or bigger bath, or who knows...

I would be interested to see who all has purchased a 19 and gone to 21 or 5.0 TA. I would think more common to move up from 15 or 17.

Who knows a few years or so, i might want to move up! 5.0 TA is sweet!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #19

Cate,
I realize budget is a restraint factor but my advice would be to stretch it as much as possible to get the trailer that will make you most comfortable, particularly since you plan to full time. You don't want to find yourself wishing you had a bit more space when all is said and done.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #20

I agree with Carl. I would get a used one to save a few thousand to get something bigger for full-timing. Even with the great exchange rate for Escapes, you may save some thousands more and also possibly save on a trip to the factory. Also on sales price tax.