Advice On Grease - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Advice On Grease

I am trying to put together some tools and maintenance items to bring along for pickup and the grand adventure afterwards. I have a few questions about grease.

1) What grease do you use for the Dexter's E-Z Lube hubs? We will be on the road for a while and I would like to bring a grease gun and grease.

2) We have a B&W Patriot 18K 5th Wheel Hitch. They recommend "white lithium grease" for the polyurethane bushings and "chassis grease" for the zerk fitting and the jaws. The white lithium grease is easy because I can get it in a tube or a small tub and don't need a grease gun to apply it to the polyurethane bushings. The "chassis grease" is what I am not clear about. Is there a difference between "chassis grease" and "wheel bearing grease"? Can I use the "wheel bearing grease" that I use for the Dexter E-Z Lube hubs for the zerk fitting and the jaws on the B&W Patriot?

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
HI Mark I have only used a good quality synthetic grease for everything for years. The axle hubs on my 19 were packed every year, the old grease was still fairly clean compared to the old days when I used axle grease. Also I just lubed up the jaws and pivot pin on my 5th wheel hitch with synthetic.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Be careful with what you use for the wheel bearings. I bought some Valvoline Synthetic grease on Amazon when buying other items and later found I would first have to completely clean out the existing OEM grease to avoid a pasty mess that would end up damaging the bearings. This due to incompatibility between compounds.

You should not have to lube your bearings for a year unless you really are putting on some miles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've used Lucas Red N Tacky for a number of years in the EZ lubes on my Scamp. I plan to use the same on Ten Forward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've used Lucas Red N Tacky for a number of years in the EZ lubes on my Scamp. I plan to use the same on Ten Forward.
I'm with Donna on this. Lucas Red N Tacky is the only grease I use on wheel bearings and chassis fittings, and have done so for years. And I do not repack bearings annually. I do them at 25,000 to 30,000 or 3 years, whichever comes first. And for all those who will quote "manufacturer recommendations," I have never seen any indication upon inspection that service was needed annually or at 10,000 miles. We are not talking about boat trailers being immersed in water here.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Carl

Applause
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I doubt you will need any wheel axle grease so you parameters should be what you will need for the fifth wheel set up. I'm sure Escape will lube your first set up and that should be enough to get you home after an extended trip. As far as the hitch fittings, what does the manufacturer specify. I do not carry a grease gun nor grease with me, Any lubrication I do at home before departure and it lasts me until I return.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
B&W recommends "white lithium grease" for the polyurethane bushings and "chassis grease" for the zerk fitting and the jaws. I was kind of hoping "wheel bearing grease" was the same as or even better than "chassis grease" and could be substituted.

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
B&W recommends ... "chassis grease" for the zerk fitting and the jaws. I was kind of hoping "wheel bearing grease" was the same as or even better than "chassis grease" and could be substituted.
Yes, that seems reasonable.

Since modern light-duty vehicles don't have any chassis parts which require greasing as part of maintenance, "chassis grease" is no longer a very familiar idea for most people (but then, their wheel bearings don't need re-greasing, either).

Standards for chassis (LA,LB) and wheel bearing (GA,GB,GC) applications are different, but the same product is routinely sold for both purposes (e.g. MotoMaster Wheel Bearing and Chassis Grease, "meets the NLGI Service Classification category GC-LB").

You can buy nice synthetic grease which is probably quite suitable in a convenient small tube (e.g. Permatex Ultra Slick Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease, 85 g), just like the white lithium grease, if you don't want to pump a bit out of a gun (which I find awkward). If you are using a gun to push grease into the E-Z Lube fitting of the wheel bearings, then yes, I would put the same grease into the hitch's zerk fitting. If you want to be sure, look for NLGI Service Classification category LB on the grease container.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I doubt you will need any wheel axle grease so you parameters should be what you will need for the fifth wheel set up...
I agree. It doesn't make much sense to me to carry wheel bearing grease.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For those that are wondering about approved grease for the Dexter axles:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bearing_Lubrication.pdf (87.0 KB, 96 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote