advice on some options please? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Posts: 309
As newbies ourselves (we get our very first trailer - a 5.0TA, Sept 8th) we read the threads over and over. Yes, there are plenty of threads about mods, but mods are done after you have your trailer and have camped with it, right?

It was mind boggling at first to read all the options possible, but if you know how you camp you only get what you want. As new to the whole camping thing, we surely benefitted from READING what options people ordered and WHY, because we don't have a "camping style" yet! We ordered in January and had until the end of June to submit our final build sheet. We are thankful to all the members for sharing their expertise which helped us make our choices. And we had 10 versions of build sheets before our final. Those ordering now have about a year to find out what options would be the best for them. Don't get stressed out about what to get or not to get!

Thank you to rbryan4, gbaglo, Jim Bennett, padlin, Donna D and all the other members who have graciously answered our sometimes monotonous questions! You all are experienced campers and we are thrilled to be part of this forum community.


We met several members at the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera, TX in April and they were all great to meet and shared their trailers with us. We also were lucky to have met Reace and Tammy there too, who took the time to talk with us about a few things that we needed clarification on. We were very lucky to have stayed with MacMan while there who was a gracious host, and also getting a 5.0TA (a few weeks before us). He and Charlie shared their build sheet lists and discussed why they were getting or not getting certain options. We are looking forward to meet more members on the road! Especially looking forward to meeting EDarby on our way out to Chilliwack!


Lucy
__________________

__________________
Charlie & Lucy
--
"I can't complain... but sometimes I still do."
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,576
Thank you Lucy.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rangeley, Maine
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Thank you to rbryan4, gbaglo, Jim Bennett, padlin, Donna D and all the other members who have graciously answered our sometimes monotonous questions! You all are experienced campers and we are thrilled to be part of this forum community.
Ditto.... and well put, Lucy!

Dolly
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Dual batteries, we are never plugged in so we need the capacity.
Solar Panel, again we are never plugged in so this is a must.
This is part of my point above. While a solar panel can be useful for many, it is not a must, all dependant upon how long you go out for, and what your 12V needs are. As I am sure all realize by now, being "plugged in" is a rarity for me. I do have the dual 6V batteries, and have camped for up to 4 nights with temps hovering around, or below, freezing, and have yet to deplete my batteries. Once I retire, and have more time to spend in the boonies, I will then rethink my solar needs.

So many RV'er, mostly the big units, all have solar power, yet only camp where they can be plugged in. Not much need for the solar there.

Though, I do believe it trumps the use of a gen set, at least in my view.

I did buy a 40W portable from Canadian Tire a few years back, but have only used it a couple times, and not likely really needed. Once I get a chance to go for longer trips, a larger solar panel will most likely be in the works at that time.

An option for those not sure they need solar, is to prewire for it, so installation is a snap if later desired.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,419
It seems there are two distinct groups of people who are looking for information on mods. On one hand if you are spending around $30K for a trailer- which is neither high or low, but is still a significant sum- many buyers want to eliminate future regrets generated from having omitted something that would have been easy to do during build however they just don't know what all is out there. They look to this forum for answers. Here is just one example: a light switch inside near the door to control the driver's side outside light. Otherwise you have to walk around the trailer to turn it on/off.

The other camp seems to want every option/mod under the sun for whatever reason. To each their own, however it is a shame that Escape will not do one or both of two things. 1. List the most popular modifications done(that they are willing to still do) and 2. offer for a fee some consultation with a qualified staffer who can help the future owner decide what the right list for them is.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It seems there are two distinct groups of people who are looking for information on mods.
Good point. There are those where camping has been a big part of their lives forever, including backcountry camping, and sleeping in tents, like me, and think that even the barest of Escape trailers offer a great luxury. Others, who have camped very little in the past, and see it as a great thing to do (and that it is) often see it more like roughing it, and are looking for more of the comforts of home being brought with them. Neither of these attitudes are wrong, and as long as they get their butts out enjoying life, it is a great thing either way.

In theory, I really like the idea of Escape offering some design assistance for those new to Escape, and what they can offer. Not sure they would, or could, even offer this, as it would put a lot of onus on the person helping the buyers out to make certain they do not miss covering anything. There is no way they could list what they are willing to do, as often some of these mods have multiple options too. I think their list of upgrades, items that are a definite "can do" is quite adequate.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Kountrykamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Posts: 1,442
My 2 cents

We don't have any fancy sensors, no custom upholstery, no custom Formica, no power jack, no radio, no big fridge, no jack antenna, no microwave, no stove, no fancy fan, no extra shelf's, no inverter, no spray foam, no solar, no duel 6 volt batteries, and many other no's.

Not that anything is wrong with any of this stuff if you feel you really need it. We did not. More gadgets equal more problems to me. We still consider camping roughing it a little (although the Escape is not really roughing it) and don't think of it as moving our house to the woods. We do have fancy aluminum wheels and some standard options because I just wanted them. You get the idea.

Our 19' is such a great camper compared to our previous campers and is still just over the top to us every time we go camping to us after 2 years.

There are not any wrong options. We have a friend that spent many thousands of dollars more on their 19' than we did but guess what, we have just as much fun!

The funny thing is IF we were to decide to sell our camper we could probably get what we paid for it or more because of the increase in prices and it would probably be sold in less than 24 hours. NO ITS NOT FOR SALE!
__________________
Tom
Kountrykamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Others, who have camped very little in the past, and see it as a great thing to do (and that it is) often see it more like roughing it, and are looking for more of the comforts of home being brought with them.
This is where we're at. We've never camped and are quite clueless about it. We do not want to rough it - that's not our style and never will be. I did a month long RV rental by myself and was overwhelmed by it at times, esp when something would go wrong. I got very stressed by it.

Reading this forum and making notes on what all I want on the trailer has been a huge benefit. If I can get something on the trailer that will reduce my stress level while traveling, I will. If I can add a higher cabinet so I have more room to stash stuff, I will.

I love that I have those options. But I also want to know that I can ask questions without someone getting all pissy about it and commenting on "why is this still being discussed" or "stop stressing about it", "take a chill pill", etc, etc. If you don't like the discussion, stop reading it! And have more patience with those of us that are new to it all and are trying to learn.

I've learned a lot on this forum about the trailers and what all I want on the one we eventually order. But, I've also learned to not ask as many questions that I would like to ask about some of these options or even camping in general. I don't feel like having a wet blanket thrown on the discussion. Or having that bounty still listed for me (mentioned in another discussion).

I'm really looking forward to when we can finally order the trailer. I'm already planning things for it and it'll be great fun to see it come about. I thoroughly enjoy reading some of the threads on here.

__________________
Laura and Dirk and Spike (the cat)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Ditto that Lucy!!!

p.s. Have I ever mentioned how much I love and appreciate this Forum? Oh yeah . . . I have. Have received nothing but kindness and support. Won't mention names because I wouldn't want to forget anyone. Thanks to all!


"Especially looking forward to meeting EDarby on our way out to Chilliwack!"
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
–– C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
This is where we're at. We've never camped and are quite clueless about it. We do not want to rough it - that's not our style and never will be. I did a month long RV rental by myself and was overwhelmed by it at times, esp when something would go wrong. I got very stressed by it.

Reading this forum and making notes on what all I want on the trailer has been a huge benefit. If I can get something on the trailer that will reduce my stress level while traveling, I will. If I can add a higher cabinet so I have more room to stash stuff, I will.

I love that I have those options. But I also want to know that I can ask questions without someone getting all pissy about it and commenting on "why is this still being discussed" or "stop stressing about it", "take a chill pill", etc, etc. If you don't like the discussion, stop reading it! And have more patience with those of us that are new to it all and are trying to learn.

I've learned a lot on this forum about the trailers and what all I want on the one we eventually order. But, I've also learned to not ask as many questions that I would like to ask about some of these options or even camping in general. I don't feel like having a wet blanket thrown on the discussion. Or having that bounty still listed for me (mentioned in another discussion).

I'm really looking forward to when we can finally order the trailer. I'm already planning things for it and it'll be great fun to see it come about. I thoroughly enjoy reading some of the threads on here.
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.