advice on some options please? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I joined this forum almost three years ago. In that time the number of members has quadrupled; this is significant and comes with all the attendant problems of a growing community of like-minded--or not so like-minded--folks. That being said, I truly do notice a substantial increase in the level of stress evinced by potential buyers. Some of this anxiety is self-imposed by the buyers themselves but some of it is imposed simply by someone saying that an option is a must-have. No option is a must-have. That's why it's an option. What I find a silly addition to a perfectly good unit, someone else may find a necessity because of physical limitations or other reasons. As others have said a zillion times, a bare-bones Escape is a beautifully equipped trailer. Just go for it...

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #72

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Let me reiterate that I appreciate EVERYONE'S input! I'm not sure I'm "stressing" over all the options, although it does remind me of when we had our house built. So many decisions! Just trying to minimize the "I wish we had..." or the "I didn't know we could have...".

I have to keep reminding myself that we tent camped for 20+ years - up until 2014 - so an Escape trailer (or even our current Casita) is luxury by comparison.

One of the threads mentioned prewiring for a backup camera qnd power tongue jack, but Crystal just told me they don't do this (I guess this is a recent change). Also, they charge $50 to install Horst probes, which puts those at about $125us when you include shipping both ways, so I may decide to keep it simple and just skip all the "custom" stuff.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I joined this forum almost three years ago. In that time the number of members has quadrupled; this is significant and comes with all the attendant problems of a growing community of like-minded--or not so like-minded--folks. That being said, I truly do notice a substantial increase in the level of stress evinced by potential buyers. Some of this anxiety is self-imposed by the buyers themselves but some of it is imposed simply by someone saying that an option is a must-have. No option is a must-have. That's why it's an option. What I find a silly addition to a perfectly good unit, someone else may find a necessity because of physical limitations or other reasons. As others have said a zillion times, a bare-bones Escape is a beautifully equipped trailer. Just go for it...
Well said

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes, well said Karen. I couldn't, and definitely didn't, put it better myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #75

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We recently returned from our first extendend time in our new 21 and can't be happier. I can't tell the difference in towng between the 19 and 21 , in fact I think the 21 is little smoother but this is likely due to the Anderson Hitch. For three of us and a dog there was more than enough storage for a two week trip to not even use all the storage. Spent a fair bit of time inside during some poor weather on a couple of days and was all good. We have most of the options but nothing custom other than a different colour couter top and I honestly can't think of anything that I would do differently. By the way the new two door fridge is a vast improvment, was 36 C one day and on maximum level kept the fridge to 3 C and ice cream was still frozen. thats good enough for me.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #76

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Thank you Karen.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Another perspective. I also come from a back country camping background where luxuries are few and far between. When we bought our Escape, we loaded it up with most of the available options at that time. Some of them I didn't see an immediate need for but imagined they could be quite useful in the future (air conditioning). Others such as solar, front storage box, and external propane quick connect surprised me at how truly useful they are. What surprised me most was that I spent a good amount of time before the build worrying about the stereo and speakers to get; but now that we have had the trailer for two years we find that they are seldom used. The custom fabric, Formica, door handles and hinges look nice but they are not as important to me now as they were pre-build.

Our next Escape will be much easier to decide on features.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Beautifully said!
We have just a few functional options, mostly because of the way I tend to think(function over everything else)
Compared to my 12x12 canvas pyramid tent, sleeping on an 8in mattress is all the luxury I can handle
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks;
As long-time campers (over 50 years including backpacking and car camping and having owned a Tab for 9 years), we knew how we camped (and were likely to in the future). Thus, option choices were not very stressful for us. We're getting our 17B on Aug. 14th. What has become somewhat stressful is the apparent marginal to poor performance of the 3-way refrigerators. Going from an icebox to a refrigerator was one of the primary reasons we are upgrading from the Tab. Hopefully, we will not experience the problems that other people are reporting. The possibility of buying a highly regarded Escape and getting a problematic refrigerator is stressful!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We also moved directly from tent camping (50+ years) to an Escape with the 4.3 fridge. We've never lost any food to spoilage. We still maintain car camping habits. Travel with refrigerator items in a good cooler and transfer when camped. We use up items by most likely to spoil first. We try to shop every 3-4 days. We have never monitored either the fridge temperature (or cooler temperature) but the beer has always been cold. When in doubt, we keep items in the cooler knowing that it is top opening like a chest freezer.