Airing out new trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Airing out new trailer

We just picked up our 21 and it is wonderful! I love the smell of a new house, or car and new paint. However, sleeping in an enclosed space with all of that can be a problem if you have breathing iissues. I didn't think to open Windows as soon as we set up. Asthma is only a mild issue for me,but last night was bad. So just a word of caution, air it out as much as possible. Today every thing will get opened.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
We just picked up our 21 and it is wonderful! I love the smell of a new house, or car and new paint. However, sleeping in an enclosed space with all of that can be a problem if you have breathing iissues. I didn't think to open Windows as soon as we set up. Asthma is only a mild issue for me,but last night was bad. So just a word of caution, air it out as much as possible. Today every thing will get opened.
During our first camping season with the 19', the fresh fiberglass smell was very strong, requiring lots of ventilation while in use. It took about two years before the "new fiberglass trailer smell" was barely noticeable.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our 19 took just over a year after pickup to disseminate the glue, and off-gassing from materials. It would ventilate out well after about 6 months, but now seems to be fine after being closed up for awhile.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Our 19 took just over a year after pickup to disseminate the glue, and off-gassing from materials. It would ventilate out well after about 6 months, but now seems to be fine after being closed up for awhile.
Hi: Greg A... People would pay big money for that rather than the funky old trailer smell they have!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I got my 17B in March and noticed the same strong fiberglass smell. When I got it home and parked I cracked open a couple of windows and the maxx fan vent to get some air circulation. I also opened all the cabinets and seats to let the fiberglass vent out. After a month or so it's better. I'm hoping this weeks camping trip and warm weather will help air it out.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with Alf! I love the smell, although if I had allergies or breathing problems, I might not be so thrilled. But I like the "new" smell. Ours still has that new smell after 11 months.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I agree with Alf! I love the smell, although if I had allergies or breathing problems, I might not be so thrilled. But I like the "new" smell. Ours still has that new smell after 11 months.

13 months and counting, we love the smell too!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Greg A... People would pay big money for that rather than the funky old trailer smell they have!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf,
It's no problem just buy this on Amazon and it can always retain that "New Smell."
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B002J7VX4Y
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am glad that I did not notice any new trailer smell, as we were in the Escape for many weeks going through Canada. Of course, we had very cool weather until finally going down into the U.S. I am well attuned to the weather bothering my sinuses but not new camper smell, I guess!. Hope you can get it aired out, Ginger. You can really use your fans. Glad you like your Escape. Need photos! Want to see that tangerine!!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Congratulations on finally getting your 21!! I hope the asthma triggers are shortlived, so you can enjoy what you've put so much into.

And, I agree: we want to see pics!

Where're you at?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's interesting to read the different experiences with this. We only noticed the "new" smell in the first week or so after we picked up the trailer. Perhaps the fact that we always open windows and run the Maxx fan when camping has something to do with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I call it the new trailer smell, but always assumed it is the fiberglass. Greg mentioned the glue smell and that makes sense too. We always have our windows open also and I 'fear' the smell will fade. It smells new and fresh to us, and lets us know we are home

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
When our 21' was just a few weeks old, we had it closed up tight for a couple hot Alabama days then stepped inside, and the odor almost took our breath away. To us, it smelled more like the interior wood paneling was off-gassing formaldehyde (and through our jobs, we know what formaldehyde smells like!). We opened all the windows and the door, and opened all the interior cabinet doors and drawers whenever we could for a couple weeks, and either it's gone away, or our noses have acclimated. That, and it never hurts to have a little coffee brewing and bacon cooking to help a camper smell great!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Mmm....bacon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I can't wait for that new trailer smell! I'm enjoying my new truck smell with the leather seat smell!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Sorry to hear that, Ginger. Glad you got your new trailer, though.

I'm rather sensitive to smells and can get a stuffed up nose and/or throat by strong smells. (Don't get me started on perfumes worn by those dining out in restaurants!)

I've not noticed any "new trailer" smell in our trailer. There probably was some at first, but I was going in and out of the thing hauling stuff in and working in there. Lots of air movement with that door constantly opening and closing.

I sleep with the Maxx fan cracked open and running on low. I always open the kitchen window and run the stove fan when cooking. Same with the fan in the bathroom when showering and opening the window after I'm through.

I would suspect all of that has greatly helped in getting rid of any "new trailer" smells in there over the 4500+ miles in the past 2 months, plus all the going in and out I did while it was parked here and not putting miles on it. I also used it as a guest house for a week in January and I would not have been able to do so if there was any lingering strong odors.

I also like to get some flowers and put them in a vase, if I'm at a site for a bit. Freshens up the place and makes it look nice. Just make sure to get flowers that smell good and not the ones that have the smell taken out of them so they can look pretty.

Here's hoping the strong odors will go away for you soon and you won't have any breathing problems.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Conga-Rats on your new trailer! For us, new smell went away after a few weeks. We tried to keep the vents slightly open, even though it was cold. Brrrr!

Regards,

Fred M.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our first season with our Escape the off gassing was irritating and we had to have windows open and Maxifan on. The past year it wasn't an issue though.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote