All plug inverter question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
All plug inverter question

Considering an all plug inverter. Any downside beside cost?

Couple questions (excuse my laymen vernacular, clueless about electrical "stuff"). 1. Is the inverter turned on/off? 2. When operating and the plugs are drawing off the batteries, does it have a measurable "passive" current draw besides the draw from the appliance/tv/radio/etc being used.

Reason I ask, I use a cheaper Harbor Freight inverter that draws a fair amount of power just by being plugged in. That's what I mean when I refer to passive draw.

Final build sheet gets closer......
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Greg- have ETI do the 1500W inverter & transfer switch. It's like in building- it costs X to do it during construction and XXX+ later- right Jim Bennett?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Greg- have ETI do the 1500W inverter & transfer switch. It's like in building- it costs X to do it during construction and XXX+ later- right Jim Bennett?
Does it draw much power to operate? Can it be turned off?

I'm looking a powering a tv, running the CPAP at night, and maybe running a small vac once in awhile. I don't want it buzzing away all day tho when its not being used and leaving me with run down batteries. Realistic concern?

G
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

It's off unless you turn it on. It hums mildly unless under load then it revs up some. It does draw power when in use- how much is of course dependent on what you are running. Definitely get the solar and dual 6'ers.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Spec shows it draws <1A with no load, the way it's written makes me think it's just under 1A.

Web site also shows a remote comes with each unit, which amounts to an on/off switch.

Here's the manual. http://www.samlexamerica.com/documen...-1215_Lrez.pdf
Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
It definitely costs more in time to do something as a retrofit/renovation. And, for many time is money. I learned many years ago in my business that if a customer ever thinks they will want something, do it at the same time as all the other work. Maybe if it is something they are unsure about, they might leave it out for the time being.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
It's off unless you turn it on. It hums mildly unless under load then it revs up some. It does draw power when in use- how much is of course dependent on what you are running. Definitely get the solar and dual 6'ers.
My wife just informed me that she DOES want the built in inverter in our 2017 21' Escape. I'm ok with that.

If we get the $550 one with just one switched outlet... I assume that outlet would be in the kitchen area?

She has dietary restrictions - and so using a Vitamix is very very helpful.

Would the $550 one plug built in ETI inverter be able to power this?

It isn't a 2 HP jolt when it turns on.... the trick is to slowly ramp it up.... also keeps it blending well

Here are the specs:

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Profess...0?skuId=059707

thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I can only suggest getting the transfer switch to power all outlets. Assume you mean the larger inverter. I believe you can pick if only one outlet but you will have to ask them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
My wife just informed me that she DOES want the built in inverter in our 2017 21' Escape. I'm ok with that.

If we get the $550 one with just one switched outlet... I assume that outlet would be in the kitchen area?

She has dietary restrictions - and so using a Vitamix is very very helpful.

Would the $550 one plug built in ETI inverter be able to power this?

It isn't a 2 HP jolt when it turns on.... the trick is to slowly ramp it up.... also keeps it blending well

Here are the specs:

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Profess...0?skuId=059707

thanks.
The manufacturer rates the model at 11.5 amps. This is 1380 watts, and the 1500 watt inverter should be able to handle this so long as there are no other 120v things in use. ETI offered a 150watt light duty inverter and the larger 1500watt unit when we ordered two years ago. Not sure what they are offering lately.
We got the all-outlet option so we could run the microwave and the TV, as well as various chargers. The TV and the various chargers could use hand held inverters that convert to 100-150 watt, by using a 12volt outlet. If you go that way, you might get an extra 12volt outlet.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I believe, but am not totally certain, that unless your get ALL outlets switched, your one outlet would be on the inverter unit itself, which would be in the underseat cabinet. You ought to check with ETI about this.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There's a YouTube video in which the guy uses a Line Splitter and a Klein meter to measure the actual amps used on the Vitamix at both low and high speed. At high speed it showed 7.3 amps. That roughly translates to 877 Watts. A 1500 Watt inverter should handle it.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21'
We thought a lot about this and finally decided to go with 12 V appliances. Julie got a pressure cooker so we can make dinners quickly with propane. If we did opt for the inverter we would certainly have gotten the five switch option.
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #13

If one does not get the transfer switch w/inverter then you pick one plug for 120V. Glad we have the inverter and transfer switch. We can charge our camera battery, make coffee, charge up the tire pump and cordless torque wrench batteries very easily and on any plug.

We wanted a 3000 watt inverter thinking that was what a vitamix required after calling them. Long story short: the 1500W Samlex does power a vitamix- perhaps not as robustly as a larger unit but we're happy. Also, the cables are over twice the size for a 3000W inverter and ETI wasn't keen on installing them.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

We don't have any need for an inverter at this point of time, so are not planning to put one in. If at a later date, maybe once we have the time for extended trips, should we find we do have a desire for one, how hard would it be to install, especially with a transfer switch.

Doing the actual work does not bother me at all, I can handle that. I am more thinking about the logistics of running the cabling, location of the devices, etc. Would this be an easy task in the 5.0? Is there maybe something that should be considered at build time?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

There are plenty of plug in 110v inverters. I have one from Harbor Freight that costs about $20 US and gives us AC in those rare occasions we need it. We switched our chargers and XM over to 12v and honestly haven't used the inverter in the last year.

We miss the coffee pot and Ann wishes she could use the curling iron but that's about it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #16

Right now, we are no different Greg. We have a 300W plug in that almost never gets used. All chargers are 12V, with the odd one we use our plug in inverter for, but usually just use the one in the truck when driving.

My wife, and on rare occasion, uses a butane curling iron. The furnace makes a great blow dryer for her too.

This the wonder about the ease of install at a later date, should we ever deem it necessary.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

Ann uses the 120v plug in the truck when she wants to enjoy the comforts of civilization. To us, and I'm thinking you too, camping is camping. Haven't done the wifi extender, or expresso machines yet but have yielded to the 21st century with XM. Sat tv and the microwave is a cheap thrill when we have power.

G
Old 02-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There are two major concerns about adding an inverter after the trailer is wired.

1. The standard #10 wiring is not heavy enough for a 1500 watt inverter. You will need to either replace the original wiring or run new wiring between the batteries & the inverter. Depending on the recommendations of the inverter manufacturer, you may be using as large as #0 wire for even a 1000 watt inverter, wire about 1/2" in diameter. Depending on battery & inverter locations, this can be difficult. With standard batteries, the inverter must be in a different location so that battery gases & the inverter don't mix.

I added a 1000 watt inverter without a transfer switch to my 17, and since the batteries are on the rear bumper, running the wiring was an involved process.

2. If you use a transfer switch to provide whole house inverter power, you can't transfer all the 120v circuits. If the inverter fed the converter, you would have a loop that would cause difficulties. High current loads such as an electric side of a water heater, the air conditioner, etc would overload a small inverter, and put an unacceptable demand on the batteries even if the inverter was large enough.

The solution is usually to install a second distribution panel, move the breakers circuits that you want on the inverter to the new panel, and use the transfer switch to switch that panel between the inverter & a circuit from the original distribution panel. If there is only one 120v circuit to be switched, it is a little easier, but in any case it is important that the converter is not powered by the inverter.

I've seen whole house installations where the owner switches off the converter breaker before firing up the inverter & instructs everyone not to turn on the water heater or AC. This method is easy to do, but can have limited success.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
There are plenty of plug in 110v inverters. I have one from Harbor Freight that costs about $20 US and gives us AC in those rare occasions we need it. We switched our chargers and XM over to 12v and honestly haven't used the inverter in the last year.

We miss the coffee pot and Ann wishes she could use the curling iron but that's about it.
Greg,
I was surprised to see that Earline's curling iron only uses 70watts, so at least that item may be back in business with the small inverter. Can't help you on the coffee pot.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Our trailer has the 1 outlet, and the one on the inverter itself. We are the second owner, so it was not a choice.

I would probably order the transfer switch if I was ordering a new trailer, but I admit we have made do with the one. We mostly use it for the TV with the outlet below the fridge, and we plug the DISH RX directly into the inverter since they are both below the front driver's side bench seat.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote