Another grill question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Another grill question

OK, I did search the forum(s) and read numerous pages regarding best grill for Escape. More confused after reading about high/low pressure, connections, et al.

We've traveled in all previous campers with two burner Coleman and canisters and it has served us well. Anything we cook that produces grease gets cooked outside.

So will be picking up new camper in April. This time we bought the oven inside and have the quick connect outside. So here's my dilemma / question: We would like to buy a new outside grill and bring it with us for 2800 miles and use it immediately after taking off from ETI and roaming around for a couple of months. Is there a grill that 1) is a great grill that you like and 2) that will hook up directly out of the box to the hose/quick connect we get from ETI. I don't plan on bringing tools to work on grills.

Your comments.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hooking up to low pressure hose would be the least of my concerns in choosing a grill.
I don't have the quick connect, nor do I want one. I prefer a 5 or 10lb propane tank so I can place the BBQ / grill wherever I like.
I bought a Napoleon 285 portable with a tall lid because it has two burners. I can cook direct with one or two burners or I can cook a whole chicken indirect ( using one burner, with the chicken on the other side. I also have an 11" X 17" griddle that sits on the BBQ for bacon and eggs, hash browns, etc.

I also equip my outdoor kitchen with a one burner butane stove. Boils water rapidly.

You may have other concerns, like where to store the BBQ, and others will comment. The last pic of "The Only BBQ salmon" is on a Weber, which is more compact, but only one burner.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   Breakfast - 1.jpg   Iwatani info.jpg   The Only.jpg  
Old 12-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Personally I like my Blackstone 17". Easy to store and clean up. You can buy a carry case too. Lots of recipes on youtube. Even make pizza! Use the Coleman small propane which stores well and last a long time.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
The grills listed in this thread never heard of so was interesting to do some research on them.
I have a couple of different grills, when I feel like a charcoal cooking trip I take the Cobb Grill, cool cooking device for sure but it has its limitations. I also have the Weber Q1000 and seem to take it most of the time.
Our Escape is are 3rd camping vehicle and none of then have we ever cooked inside so whatever we take gets lots of use.
Let us know what you decide on.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a Weber Q single burner, but it needs a few tools and parts to change over to the quick connect. Seeing as how you are buying it before you leave home you could change it over before.

That said, the Napoleon that Glen mentions would be my choice if I were to replace the Weber, 2 burners is worth the $ difference. Their web site shows an RV adapter kit, although I can't tell if it's the right quick connect end. https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grill...ptor-kit-66287

You could get any grill you want that is able to be changed to low pressure and use it without the quick connect for the return trip, changing it over at a later date. Not all grills can be changed.

I carry a butane single burner like Glen. There are times I want a stove as opposed to a grill.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another vote for the Blackstone..........
Old 12-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #7

I'd continue using your existing set up as all of these other grills will not work with the low pressure set up. Since you have the oven and 3 burner stove, between it and your existing set up you will be fine. Once home you can explore new grill and the tools needed to change it for the low pressure hook up. This reason is why I never got the low pressure option and continue using my assortment of coleman and blackstone stoves and griddles.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I've owned many different makes of BBQ's over the years, now settled on Weber, I own 4 different models.
For our 17B trailer I bought a Q1200 and added a cast iron griddle. We do not have an oven in our trailer. This BBQ can do a hamburgers, roast a chicken or pork shoulder or fry up bacon and eggs easily. Our 11,000 km trip last summer it cooked every meal.

Our TV is a pickup with a cap so I tend to run it off of a 20 propane bottle right on the tailgate. The BBQ has a grease collection tray I line with tin foil so easy to dispose of before leaving each campsite. I carry a few green bottles and occasionally use the BBQ at a picnic table or other spot away from the truck.

The Q1200 is a bit of a cult BBQ if you look at the Weber forums, they are discussed in mythological terms. Owners bake bread in them, and pies chef up very elaborate meals using this little thing. They are a very big deal in Australia, cook books written for them.

I'd have to say it does the best of any BBQ I've ever owned. The single burner isn't the issue I assumed it would be. We use it at home now most of the time with only two of us.

Bob

https://youtu.be/WrNhXEYIV1U
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0194.jpg   IMG_3503.jpg   IMG_3499.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #9

Since we are showing our food pictures, here are some with the Blackstone:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0785.jpg   IMG_0878.jpg   IMG_1111.jpg   IMG_1250.jpg   IMG_1339.jpg  

IMG_1343.jpg   IMG_8875.jpeg   IMG_8879.jpeg  
Old 12-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I think that GBaglo wins the prize for cooking the healthiest meals while camping!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have been very happy with our Magma grill. Be sure to get the low pressure valve as an inexpensive accessory so it will easily connect to the trailer propane outlet. Magma also makes a good set of nesting pots/pans that we like as well.

https://www.magmaproducts.com/
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
It sounds like you are committed to the quick connect. Consider buyIn the grill you want to use and get it converted before you leave home. Just ensure you buy a grill that can be converted

We don’t want to carry extra propane tanks or fuel cans. I use the quick connect and adapted grill without issues.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
OK, I did search the forum(s) and read numerous pages regarding best grill for Escape. More confused after reading about high/low pressure, connections, et al.

We've traveled in all previous campers with two burner Coleman and canisters and it has served us well. Anything we cook that produces grease gets cooked outside.

So will be picking up new camper in April. This time we bought the oven inside and have the quick connect outside. So here's my dilemma / question: We would like to buy a new outside grill and bring it with us for 2800 miles and use it immediately after taking off from ETI and roaming around for a couple of months. Is there a grill that 1) is a great grill that you like and 2) that will hook up directly out of the box to the hose/quick connect we get from ETI. I don't plan on bringing tools to work on grills.

Your comments.
I have a Weber Baby Q which is now the Q1200 I think. It did not take much to convert it...just a couple of wrenches, remove the regulator(leave the cannister screw on piece on the regulator), screw in the hose from Escape. If you feel like you are not able\don't want to do it on the road...take a couple of the cannisters and convert it when you get home(or ask if Escape can help you out!). My weber is probably almost 10 yrs old and still working great on the original parts and when I need them the parts are all available...that is a plus to me. Also if you or your RV service guy is a little handy when at home you can get a quick connect of the right type(along w/a fitting or two) and add it to the regulator you took off of the grill so you can hook it to the hose on the grill so you can still use it with the little canisters if you want. My grill rides in the bed of the truck on one side and seems to be happy there, I do bungee the lid closed so it doesn't flop around.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While in the past I carried a Coleman Grill/Stove, it tended to burn rather than grill. I first replaced it with a 2 burner Giantex Grill, which worked great as a grill or oven, however was impossible to clean - no thought in the design for dripping grease.

I traded it in for a Weber Q1000 grill & a cheap one burner butane stove. Both do what they were designed for, and I use the oven in my 21 when I want to bake.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
There is usually only me...I use the Weber gas Go Anywhere. pretty compact, and works well. i think i replaced the last one after @5-6 years of use both traveling and at home. the price is not a big hit to do that. the enamel sides/bottom are easily cleaned inside by just lifting off the grate--in the bbq kit i carry windex, a dedicated scrubby sponge (replaced often with ones no longer used in the kitchen) and a partial roll of paper towels.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Is there a grill that 1) is a great grill that you like and 2) that will hook up directly out of the box to the hose/quick connect we get from ETI. I don't plan on bringing tools to work on grills.
After this very specific question, I note that none of the 14 responses before this actually answered it. The answer is "no": the only grill that comes ready to hook up to a low-pressure quick connect outlet is likely the RV-Q, and no one in this forum has reported using that specific grill (not surprising, as it is intended to mount on the side of the trailer, and few people want to do that).

Many grills are very easily converted. As Larry and Ian suggested, rational approaches (if you want to use a grill converted for use with the low-pressure outlet) include getting the grill converted at home in advance of pickup, getting someone to convert it on your trip, or leaving the conversion until you get home.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
After this very specific question, I note that none of the 14 responses before this actually answered it.

WAIT!
We haven't discussed what is a grill and what is a BBQ.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
For those who do not tow with a truck and want to store their grill in the storage box at the front of the trailer, which one is the best?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Personally I like my Blackstone 17". Easy to store and clean up. You can buy a carry case too. Lots of recipes on youtube. Even make pizza! Use the Coleman small propane which stores well and last a long time.
we have the blackstone as well and it works with the little bottles and you can buy this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to connect it to the hose that Escape gives you to plug into the external line they install.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You know what.

Since I believe in overkill and am clinging to the idea of not having a plan, I was thinking of getting the Blackstone and the little Weber.

That griddle looks like super fun in the morning, but evenings and happy hour were made for a grill.

Do you think there is room is the 5.0TA for both? I always carry an extra 5 lb propane tank (pig).
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote