antennas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
antennas

Does anybody have real world experience with the two different tv antennas offered by Escape? Does the jack one work much better? Not that we will be using it a lot but when we do I would like the one with the best reception.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had both units, the winegard in my 19 and the jack in my 21. The jack is my second jack, as I had one in another trailer. It is tunable to find the best signal, whereas the winegard is omnidirectional. You decide, I like the Jack better.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
At the RV show yesterday we saw an antenna that looked kind of interesting. It is sold by Dish and is called the "Tailgater". It is a portable unit that weighs 10 lbs and you set it anywhere with a clear shot to the southern sky and it will pick up the satellite automatically. If you have Dish at home this will cost you $7.00 a month, The unit costs $350.00. What are a lot of you using to get TV in your trailer and on the road when cable hookups at a campground aren't available.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Red Box or the Jack.

As far as the Tailgater, I've not read any complaints about them, I see them in the CG's now and then. I have read reports on them walking away so it's another thing you need to secure. If I still had DISH at home I would consider it.

Do you already have Dish at home? the basic standalone package is $49.99 while the add on to an existing home package is $7.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape
I have used the Tailgater for several years and it works great as long as you have an unobstructed view to the south. Trees can be a problem but after moving the antenna around I usually can get a signal.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
At the RV show yesterday we saw an antenna that looked kind of interesting. It is sold by Dish and is called the "Tailgater". It is a portable unit that weighs 10 lbs and you set it anywhere with a clear shot to the southern sky and it will pick up the satellite automatically. If you have Dish at home this will cost you $7.00 a month, The unit costs $350.00. What are a lot of you using to get TV in your trailer and on the road when cable hookups at a campground aren't available.
The sticking point is if you have Dish at home. For a number of reasons, not a fan of Dish. But, to each his own. I do like the idea that their pricing structure is reasonable for the portable unit since the customer is already a home subscriber.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't understand why one should pay extra to watch on Dish from camp.
I have Sirius satellite radio and can listen at home, in the car and at camp. I don't pay extra for that. I just have to buy the devices.
Actually, I guess I only have one receiver and several docks...
Old 01-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
My understanding is that with Dish, you can subscribe for a single month, and start and stop your service. Seems this would be a good option for those of use that do not have a home satellite service.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Anyone travelling far from home and considering satellite TV should check out where their service can be received. Don't expect the service you buy in Canada to blanket the United States with signal.

"South" is only approximate for satellite access. The actual direction to the satellite depends on your satellite service (different companies use differently located satellites) and your current location. For instance, using a Satellite Look Angle Calculator from here in Edmonton the Shaw satellite is at 174 degrees (almost south) while Bell is at 148 degrees (southeast). I've used both companies at my house and had to place the dishes quite differently to look through a gap in the trees. If you were in St. John's NL that same Shaw service would require pointing at 244 degrees... almost west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't understand why one should pay extra to watch on Dish from camp.
I have Sirius satellite radio and can listen at home, in the car and at camp. I don't pay extra for that. I just have to buy the devices.
Actually, I guess I only have one receiver and several docks...
Right... one Sirius receiver = one fee; multiple Dish receivers that can be used at the same time = likely extra cost. That makes sense to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Had Winegard, the thin/flat kind, and another rabbit ear brand - Jack beats them hands down, some areas where I could get 2-3 channels I now get over a dozen and VERY simple to aim with the signal strength lights. Also find the attenuator useful from time to time.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote