Any alternatives for jack antenna on roof? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My King Jack antenna is mounted on a telescoping aluminum mast that is secured to my trailer's rear bumper. The mast sections are tightened by knurled rings. However, if I were doing it today I think I'd go for one of the fiberglass poles from Poles and Holders. The reason is that the King Jack acts as a weather vane in the wind, and when it turns it loosens the top mast section, making it collapse. The fiberglass pole sections are secured with pins, so they shouldn't collapse.

I might buy a fiberglass pole anyway. After all, my trailer can always use another antenna mast.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
A no vote on Jack TV antenna

We have the Jack TV set up on the roof of our new E21. As thers have noted, we are seldom anywhere that has OTA TV. We had asked Escape to provide both the campground CATV port and a second port to be used with a portable Sat dish. Unfortunately, the later got left out in our build so I had to install it afterwards. So we now take a Sat receiver from our house plug in a 50' coax into the port and we have TV even in the rural or remote areas where we like to camp. I would definitely NOT get the Jack antenna again if I was ordering another Escape trailer.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #23

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
TV cable ready—both 120v and 12v?

Bit of confusion on my part but I am buying the Escape TV 120v cable ready only with the idea that I will mount a hitch/window/interior antenna for a 12 volt TV. If I do go to an RV park with hookups that has cable available (120v), will the cable ready unit that Escape provides convert that to 12 volt for the 12 volt TV? Does the Escape cable ready only unit convert between 120v and 12v, or do I need an additional piece for that? Thanks!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
My wife and I just put in our deposit on an Escape 19 and now have to get our build list done by May 17 (August 19 completion). I’m not big on holes in the roof (however we are getting the roof solar panel), and that jack antenna looks so fragile up there on the roof.
I’m not a television kind of person, but my wife likes to keep up on the news and watch an occasional movie. Being we will be boondocking or dry camping more than we do RV parks, are there any alternatives to the antenna on top? Are window antennas workable? Should I have the 19 at least wired for cable ready? Is the built in stand TV wall mount really necessary or are there alternatives? Sorry for the questions, but we are greenhorns at this trailering game, and we figured we would check in with the experts! Thanks in advance for your comments!
You're right about the Jack being fragile. Also a PIA to replace. I know from experience.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Bit of confusion on my part but I am buying the Escape TV 120v cable ready only with the idea that I will mount a hitch/window/interior antenna for a 12 volt TV. If I do go to an RV park with hookups that has cable available (120v), will the cable ready unit that Escape provides convert that to 12 volt for the 12 volt TV? Does the Escape cable ready only unit convert between 120v and 12v, or do I need an additional piece for that? Thanks!
If I understand your question; ETI cable ready will support 12v or 120v TV's. Cable feeds signal from park cable system, portable SAT dish or over the air antenna. Cable system has nothing to do with powering the TV. Two separate systems.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
The 120V AC and 12V DC are separate systems (except where AC can charge the battery or if you have an inverter). The little 19" TV we bought for the camper runs on 12V DC but came with a 120V AC adaptor. A lot of smaller TVs are configured this way. If you happen to have a small TV that uses a power adapter, look at the power output of the adapter, and it's likely 12V DC. When at a campground with shore power, we use the 120V AC adaptor simply because it keeps more wires up out of the way based on where our power outlets are located. When not, we just plug straight into 12V DC. Works fine either way.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Anyone use a window mount? The Mohu Leaf sounds interesting. Thanks again!
My son has one he uses at home since dropping cable TV, works fine for OTA stations. Can't say how it'd work from a camper. Guess someone would have to compare the 2 to find out of it is better/as good as/or worse then the camper rooftop. Maybe one day I can try my sons, it'd be interesting.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe at the Mississippi River Rendevous we can have a contest to see who can pull in the most TV stations .
A fine cigar sounds like a good wager ?
I think we have a contest, with an appropriate wager.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
We asked ETI to put a 12volt/usb plugin at the TV area, instead of the 120 volt, since most RV TV's are 12 volt anyway, so it eliminates that 120-12 volt converter box. Glad we did because we charge our phones in that spot.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The mast sections are tightened by knurled rings. However, if I were doing it today I think I'd go for one of the fiberglass poles from Poles and Holders. The reason is that the King Jack acts as a weather vane in the wind, and when it turns it loosens the top mast section, making it collapse. The fiberglass pole sections are secured with pins, so they shouldn't collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The little 19" TV we bought for the camper runs on 12V DC but came with a 120V AC adaptor. A lot of smaller TVs are configured this way. If you happen to have a small TV that uses a power adapter, look at the power output of the adapter, and it's likely 12V DC.

The grass is always greener...... Mike. Here I was admiring your poles with the lock rings while mine use pins. But, yes, they do keep things firmly in position.

Even if the adapter voltage is a bit higher, ours is something like 15.5 volts, our TV still works fine with our nominal 12 volt system.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #31

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
King Omnidirectional Portable TV Antenna. I find this handy and stores away when not using. Just connect to outside cable port. Cable it to bumper so it doesn't grow legs and walk away.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:56 AM   #32

One negative might be that it doesn't pull in as many stations as a mast mounted antenna. Height is King, so to speak, when it comes to reception. My mast mounted antenna is 3' higher than the roof of my trailer. I find the reception improved from when it was on a lower mast just above roof level. Also it seems to have become more omnidirectional. I no longer use the signal finder as I find it less sensitive to being aimed perfectly at stations.

Ron
Old 04-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #33

This video is very useful, thanks. The problem I have with the King Jack antenna on a telescoping mast is that I can't control its direction. No matter how firmly I tighten the knurled knobs on the mast, the wind manages to push the antenna around, so I lose signal and then a mast section collapses. Arrgh.

The directional King Jack is available with a mount or with just the triangular head unit only. A couple of years ago I emailed King Connect to see if I could get just the head unit of the omnidirectional antenna. I was told I could not, so I gave up on the idea. But from this video I see that the disc head unit has a simple connection to its mount that I could adapt to a telescoping mast. Good!

I'd cheefully give up the sensitivity of a directional TV antenna for the convenience of an omnidirectional one. Especially when I can't keep the directional unit aimed.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Mike that’s what I’m doing this week picking up mounting bracket today
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Mike that’s what I’m doing this week picking up mounting bracket today

Good! Please let us know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

I'd cheefully give up the sensitivity of a directional TV antenna for the convenience of an omnidirectional one. Especially when I can't keep the directional unit aimed.
I always thought that your knurled knobs were a higher level than my simple pins. Guess I'll stop looking for a telescoping rod with lock rings.

I put a scalloped edge on the bottom pole section. Keeps the antenna in place. To fine tune I just rotate it a notch one way or the other.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0044_resize.JPG  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I wrap the cable from the King Jack around the PVC and through some eye bolts. Also run green cord from eye bolts diagonally down to the bumper. In winds has worked so far.

Of course my telescoping PVC's are a good 3-4 meters shorter in total height than Ron's system, but I'm not trying for transmissions from Hawaii.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One negative might be that it doesn't pull in as many stations as a mast mounted antenna. Height is King, so to speak, when it comes to reception. My mast mounted antenna is 3' higher than the roof of my trailer. I find the reception improved from when it was on a lower mast just above roof level. Also it seems to have become more omnidirectional. I no longer use the signal finder as I find it less sensitive to being aimed perfectly at stations.

Ron
Ron hope this is alright being a antenna thread . Ok have been using the biggest Wineguard antenna at home . We live about 40 mi from stations but next to hills . Have had antenna with amp now for 9 years at the peak of house . Recently lost some channels including CBS because we had to rescan and CBS moved their frequency . The Wineguard is directional .
Was thinking to move antenna higher with a tripod or try a omnidirectional instead of the directional? We have to deal with new towers for phones , etc on the hill also now . Also have found the house inverters with their solar cause problems . There is only a small sweet spot between the houses below with their solar and the towers on the hill behind . So higher might help ? Omi or directonal antenna ! Any thoughts ?Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #39

How about the political answer, "it depends".

The first thing that I'd do is go to TVfool and put in your location. If the direction to the major stations that you want is in one direction then the directional antenna would be the way to go. If not, then the omnidirectional might be better. But again, "it depends". I often check TVfool for the location I'm stopping for the night. Most of the time I point my antenna in the compass heading for the nearest stations and can put in one and get the news. Except when there's no stations for a long way.

I shouldn't get any reception at home because I live in a valley and there's a 300' escarpment right between me and the TV transmitters. However, antennas being somewhat of a black art, I do get strong signals with the King and my 8 bay antenna. This antenna is really two 4 bay antennas hinged on a center point. If I had two clusters of stations in different directions I could aim each 4 bay at a cluster.

I used to use a 4 bay on my boat and my Scamp. But they're pretty fragile to be packed up and moved every day so the King is much more durable.

In my case, on my roof, the amplified King and the unamplified 8 bay came out about equal.

So I think one factor for you would be confirming the direction the signals are coming from.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
rotated antenna_resize.jpg  
Old 04-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I always thought that your knurled knobs were a higher level than my simple pins. Guess I'll stop looking for a telescoping rod with lock rings.

Ron

Lock rings -- that's the term I couldn't remember. Yeah, the aluminum poles look pretty spiffy (imho) but work best when topped by something that doesn't get blown about in the wind.