Any regrets on power awning - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #61

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
I'm having a problem with the Dometic 9500E awning that came with our 2018 5.0TA. We've only used it a couple of times. Before we left on our current trip (3/20/19) the awning had a problem closing all the way. One end would close all the way and the other stayed out about an inch. I've since discovered that what seems to have happened is that the end that stayed out caught on the part of the stationary frame (you can see scuff marks) and the traveling aluminum extrusion to which the fabric is anchored got bent. Of course it's now about a week after the 1 year warranty. Tomorrow I'm going to call Dometic and see if they will do anything about it. Will post the results.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
I'm having a problem with the Dometic 9500E awning that came with our 2018 5.0TA. We've only used it a couple of times. Before we left on our current trip (3/20/19) the awning had a problem closing all the way. One end would close all the way and the other stayed out about an inch. I've since discovered that what seems to have happened is that the end that stayed out caught on the part of the stationary frame (you can see scuff marks) and the traveling aluminum extrusion to which the fabric is anchored got bent. Of course it's now about a week after the 1 year warranty. Tomorrow I'm going to call Dometic and see if they will do anything about it. Will post the results.

Joe have you seen Reace’s video on awning adjustment, I believe he mentioned something about aligning in the video too.
Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/xq4jK-_OQGU
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #63

I don't think a video can unbend that extruded aluminum piece.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
I very much doubt the rail got bent, the motor is just not strong enough to do that. A couple I have adjusted have had a slight curve to the rail. I would follow the adjustment instructions, something real easy to do (just tweaked my brother's as one end was out about 1/2" more than the other.

I think there are some folks who over complicate the power awning. It's function is really simple, a motor that winds up the fabric, and two spring loaded arms that tension it out. Having to repair a fairly badly damaged one though has given me good insight into how they work, how to adjust the slope and stuff like that.

BTW, check the top of the awning for ice before retracting, as ice on top will not let the awning fully retract and not leave it 8" extended. I found this out camping this past Easter weekend.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #65

It's definitely bent. The bend may not be solely responsible for it not closing and possibly some adjustment will help. Although I had to adjust it out of square just so it would close after the issue. I emailed ETI and Reace replied and asked for some photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I very much doubt the rail got bent, the motor is just not strong enough to do that. A couple I have adjusted have had a slight curve to the rail. I would follow the adjustment instructions, something real easy to do (just tweaked my brother's as one end was out about 1/2" more than the other.

I think there are some folks who over complicate the power awning. It's function is really simple, a motor that winds up the fabric, and two spring loaded arms that tension it out. Having to repair a fairly badly damaged one though has given me good insight into how they work, how to adjust the slope and stuff like that.

BTW, check the top of the awning for ice before retracting, as ice on top will not let the awning fully retract and not leave it 8" extended. I found this out camping this past Easter weekend.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #66

So I've figured out how to bring the back part of the awing in, except for a slight gap due to the bend in the traveling aluminum piece that occurred when it closed and hit its box one sad day. Here's what I've learned:

1. Reace's video about adjusting the awning does not appear to apply to the 9500E awnings that were produced later. My model is 231 and the operating instructions he references in his video appears to pertain to Model 201. The remote he uses is different than mine, as mine has flush buttons and no tiny reset button. Also, the instructions sheet for Model 231 do not discuss resetting the motor as he describes, although it does describe how to reset the wind sensor.

2. Start by ensuring that the arms are adjusted so they are the same distance out from both the ends of the stationary part of the awning, and from both ends of the traveling aluminum piece. If you're going to move one end of an arm, first place a piece of tape with a mark on it as a reference so you can always get back where you started.

3. It's not necessary that the arms connecting to the traveling aluminum piece are exactly the same distance away from the edge, but they should be close. Limit adjustments to perhaps 1/8" at a time as they make a big difference. I did not have to adjust the arms on the stationary side so I can't comment on that.

4. If both ends of the awning fail to retract all the way approx. equally, then move both arms where they connect to the traveling aluminum piece out toward their respective ends about 1/8". This will effectively shorten the distance the awning travels and pull it in closer to the box when retracted. Repeat as necessary.

5. If only one end of the awning fails to fully retract, then you can move that arm where it connects to the traveling aluminum piece out toward its end 1/8". This will do two things: (a) it will pull that end in more toward the box when the awning retracts, and (b) it will move the traveling aluminum piece toward the opposite end of the box when it retracts. Before fully retracting, make sure the traveling aluminum piece doesn't hit the box, so have you finger on the stop button! Repeat as necessary in 1/8" increments.

6. If you had to do No. 5, you will likely have to adjust the traveling aluminum piece fore and aft in the box. To do this, think of the arms as being stationary and the traveling aluminum pieces as sliding on them. This will help yu visualize which way to move the arms. If you move one arm TOWARD its end 1/8", then the opposite arm should be moved AWAY from its end 1/8" and vice versa.

7. When you're happy with all the adjustments, mark the position of the sliding pieces with a marker in case they loosen up.

8. With each adjustment, make note of the starting position of the arms, how much you're going move one or both, and the result. That way you'll know if you're moving them in the right direction, and you can always go back if you move them in the wrong direction.