Anyone have construction problems? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The hinges on Ten Forward are starting to pit. I wonder if it's because these are refrigerator hinges and not chromed for outdoor use? (If there is such a thing). Pat, I'd be interested if you ever come across stainless (or even really good aluminum) hinges. Otherwise, I may just considered the hinges textured. Or maybe I'll pull them off, grind off the chrome and paint them black. Nah... I like textured better.
My biggest complaint is the hinge pin. It is a two piece pin and unfortunately the long portion is inserted from the bottom. I believe the top piece which looks like a tiny mushroom is pressed into the bottom (long) piece. Two of mine have come apart and I found the bottom piece had almost worked itself completely out....not a good situation. The first time ETI sent me a new hinge. The second time I inserted the longer portion from the top and put a small dab of JB Weld in its recess for the "cap" piece. At least if the cap drops down, the door will stay in place.

I'm wondering if pitted hinges could be powder coated. Powder coating is quite durable. I'm thinking white might blend in very well.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

I'm wondering if pitted hinges could be powder coated. Powder coating is quite durable. I'm thinking white might blend in very well.
Carl we must think alike as I was just about to mention powder coating to Donna.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Carl we must think alike as I was just about to mention powder coating to Donna.
Yeah, but then I'd have a trailer without a door hanging (Duct tape?). If Ten Forward was stored at home, that would be fine. But, it's in a storage yard and I'd prefer to not leave it open like that. But powder coating is now on the table for the future! Thanks guys
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Yeah, but then I'd have a trailer without a door hanging (Duct tape?). If Ten Forward was stored at home, that would be fine. But, it's in a storage yard and I'd prefer to not leave it open like that. But powder coating is now on the table for the future! Thanks guys
Get new replacement ones and have them powder coated before installation maybe? Get them to match your vinyl....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Get new replacement ones and have them powder coated before installation maybe? Get them to match your vinyl....
Can't powder coat over chrome, successfully. It's not practical to get good adhesion to chrome plating because few things will stick well to chrome (except rust and pits!) .
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #46

Quote:
Can't powder coat over chrome, successfully. It's not practical to get good adhesion to chrome plating because few things will stick well to chrome (except rust and pits!) .
Oops, I forgot the chrome.... acid bath?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Oops, I forgot the chrome.... acid bath?
Yeah probably, but that ratchets up the cost and the hinges would need to be taken apart.. no pin(s). Why can't this stuff be easy?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #48

Quote:
Yeah probably, but that ratchets up the cost and the hinges would need to be taken apart.. no pin(s). Why can't this stuff be easy?
Self etching primer apparently exists: https://www.reference.com/vehicles/p...9052dc97c7768c

Also saw one discussion that recommends sand blasting before powder coating over chrome. I bet most powder coating places have sand blasters.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I thought someone had found a stainless version of these hinges from a post a while back.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #50
Site Team

I said easy Eric. . I still think I'll go with the textured look until I can't stand it any longer and then hope better hinges are on the market.

It's interesting to note that Trillium uses the same hinges and I've seen some on 20+ year old trailers that are in great shape. Maybe ours were manufactured on either a Monday or Friday...
Old 04-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #51

Quote:
I said easy Eric. . ......
It's "easy" if you just pay somebody to do it! Well, except on the wallet!

JimN would take this as an opportunity to get a new trailer!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
It's "easy" if you just pay somebody to do it! Well, except on the wallet!

JimN would take this as an opportunity to get a new trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I thought someone had found a stainless version of these hinges from a post a while back.
I've searched and can't find it... lots of hits for cabinet hinges and a refrigerator hinge. But nothing about the outside door hinge.

Anybody?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #53

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
doors

That was why we opted for a 2016 new model .I wanted the flat door with 3 hinges and built in screen door .We had this on our Lil Snoozy and the door was great no problem with Dog getting through the screen and air /water coming in like the aircraft doors of the pre 2016 classic models .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Someone on this forum did find Stainless hinges and I bought a set that I never used and gave away when we sold the camper. They were exactly the same hinge except stainless.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #55

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Try this.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post110618

Don
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I said easy Eric. . I still think I'll go with the textured look until I can't stand it any longer and then hope better hinges are on the market.

It's interesting to note that Trillium uses the same hinges and I've seen some on 20+ year old trailers that are in great shape. Maybe ours were manufactured on either a Monday or Friday...
Hi: Donna D... The type of hinges used by ETI are available at... http://www.leevalleytools.ca Look under Hardware/ hinges/ specialty hinges. $29.50 a pair left or right hand set. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Donna D... I just remembered if you order 5 or more sets the price falls to 25 brass bucks a set. For that little you could buy enough sets to have new ones every two years or so. Just pay S&H!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #58
Site Team

Cool! SS hinges, I've bookmarked the site. Now, are the hinges flat strap or is there an offset? Ten Forward isn't at home or else I'd go look.

ALF.. thanks, but I'm trying to get "better" hinges... not the same
Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Cool! SS hinges, I've bookmarked the site. Now, are the hinges flat strap or is there an offset? Ten Forward isn't at home or else I'd go look.

ALF.. thanks, but I'm trying to get "better" hinges... not the same
Donna the Lee Valley look exactly like the one's used on Escapes . They only mention stainless pin . I don't think the hinge is stainless .Another source WHC 1800 4838111 is their phone number . http://www.westernhardware/truck-hin...el-strap-hinge is the information from a copied paper I have . The last hinge is a little different from "Vintage Trailer "
Called a Polar Hinge . They mention the original chromed die cast hinges didn't hold up well . These are just a slightly different profile but very similar . Made from 304 stainless . They will fit original holes . Product code :VTS-779. If I get some more sources I will post . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
What I am learning is the hinges are going to need to be replaced . Besides the pitting , there are nylon bushings top and bottom of the hinge pin . Mine wore out fast ,do to the faulty installation and as Ron mentioned the axis of the top and bottom pins not lining up . You can see from one of my pictures hinge not installed straight and it had a droop . There was lots of slop on the hinges especially the top . If you are having to constantly tighten up the screws which I had to do , your hinges are not lined up as they should be . That will degrade the nylon bushings real fast . The whole hinge isn't the best quality for the important job of holding up your door . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote